Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Size of the 2 handed sword

Regarding to the model of the 2 handed sword we have seen in the latest combat video and the artwork, what do you think about the size of this type of weapon?

- exactly what i like
- too small
- too big
- dislike whole model

In my opinion it´s a bit too small at all, so it seems underwhelming to me having a 2 handed sword looking like a one handed sword. I don´t like that anime oversized weapons other games used, but i think i will not going to use that type of weapon if the models are that small. For example i like the 2 handed models from BDO´s awakened Warrior when i still played it. It felt like i was wearing a heavy weapon with such an impact when swinging it. So what do you think about it and what are your hopes and opinions for the weapons in ashes so far? :)

Here are some links with timstamps:

(Video of the Livestream Aug 17 with Model of the 2 handed sword at 22:24)

(Video Alpha One - First Look at Action Combat, usage of the sword at
0:29; 1:06 and 2:00 [opponent])
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRK61F5RJdE

(Model of BDO´s Goyen Warrior set)

Please consider that i come from Germany and my English isn´t the best! ;)

Comments

• I'd like to see big ass Dragon Slayers
    I'd like to see swords with decorated guard and long thinner (not thin as one handed) blades.
    I'd like to see fat swords with kinda shorter fat blade.
    I'd like them to be fantasy big. 
    Not 3 times the size of the character tho.

And the ones on the bigger end I'd like them to be handled in kinda "drag to the ground stance"

1-40 I'd like them to be historically accurate and then change to weapons for super strong warriors. 
    BDO has nice 2h swords (in their shop).

In Eso there were many nice designs but if they were a bit bigger the would be cool, however eso was in a different setting.

• I feel exactly the same about the ESO swords! They were nice designed but too small like u wag a toothpick with both hands!

Cause of they call the game high fantasy, the weapons could be more aesthetic than realistic in form of size.

Overall i like your opinion :)
  • If theyre going to add larger 2h I hope the swing time will increase accordingly as the range and weight of the sword increases.

I think these types of changes should come only after the animations are finished. 
    If I would see large 2h with the current swing style it would just feel unnatural.

I also wouldnt feel natural with larger 2hs than one in the bdo example.

/opinions

• i like to see all kind of great 2 handed swords. i hope they will get very creative to implement wicked looking swords - not too basic

• I know, Steven already stated that. I probably try to know all about the game till now, but i think the opinions are diverging when somebody say "Oversized" cause i think this 2 handed sword is very undersized in comparison to the Greataxe which is bigger than Peter in the Livestream Feb. 18 at ca. 6:20 you could see it well

Ok, it could be placeholder i know! :D

So what is normal size for a Greatsword / Greataxe / Grathammer etc...
    like all in the whole world it is a question of taste at this point cause it´s a high fantasy game.
    so what are your thoughts?

I totally agree with all you have mentioned, it would feel heavy unnatural with a bigger weapon like the "BDO Greatesword"

Yes i don´t like the "standart" models of weapons, but that´s another taste of mine cause someone might love it ;)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018

That... is a ridiculous sword. Way too much unnecessary weight at the shoulder and guard.

Not even the greatest of body builders would be able to use such a monstrosity in battle. Sure, they could pick it up, the the sheer weight of the sword would make it impossible for the wrists to maintain their grip on the sword once the weapon is extended.

A typical great sword looks something like this: 

It is quite long, and as such has tremendous speed and force at the tip once in full swing. It may not look exciting compared to the outrageous examples we can find in games, but it is practical and efficient.

I understand that AoC is a fantasy game, and as such not completely beholden to our historical reality. However, I feel that ridiculously unrealistic swords take away from immersion. So I'd vote no to any sword significantly larger than the great sword I provided.

edited August 2018
    Should we set magic standards by historical reality?
    In addition the combat moves that fighters perform in this game are nowhere near what historical knights were doing
  • Nope on the above standards statement. The standard that will be met on "how large is oversized?" will be whatever the art team and the Sandal God have decided. There is a push by certain factions of "weeb" community to "asian up" Ashes. So far all the artwork and models we have seen have resisted this. Everyone has an opinion that varies on where "Mah murzshun!" starts to break, just don't give yourself unrealistic expectations that you will get......
    Image result for oversize greatsword gif
  • Nope on the above standards statement. The standard that will be met on "how large is oversized?" will be whatever the art team and the Sandal God have decided. There is a push by certain factions of "weeb" community to "asian up" Ashes. So far all the artwork and models we have seen have resisted this. Everyone has an opinion that varies on where "Mah murzshun!" starts to break, just don't give yourself unrealistic expectations that you will get......
    Image result for oversize greatsword gif
    The Sandal God.. Best ever. xD
  • Pooka thinks they will be more or less realistic when it comes to weapon sizes.
  • Well said! :D I think they will make it feel good and fluid, we have to wait and build a statement after we see the final product! But until now, we will have hopes and dreams ;)
  • Oversized 2 handed weapons were always weird, they look cool sure but in a game like Ashes it just wouldn't fit :3
    edited August 2018
    I think the swords are just right.  There is nothing more off-putting and immersion breaking than having a world that is scaled correctly, but filled with stupidly huge swords.  Going any bigger than what they have now would look very ridiculous.  Since I prefer the realism over the absurd accentuated anime style, I would have to take a serious second guess at playing if they changed and went with that.
  • Realism is boring in games imo. And this is a fantasy game after all. Oh hey you got a straight sword, yea me too! Oh he’s got one, and him and her :/ gets boring pretty quick. 
    edited August 2018
    Realism is boring in games imo. And this is a fantasy game after all. Oh hey you got a straight sword, yea me too! Oh he’s got one, and him and her :/ gets boring pretty quick. 
    Gather quickly knights. The queen will fart

I still hope that we will see bigger than normal two handed swords
    edited August 2018
    In addition the combat moves that fighters perform in this game are nowhere near what historical knights were doing
    The issue is realism and physics, rather than straight history.

History is useful however, as it informs us of thew kind of sword can be effectively used in different roles.

There is a reason that no knight has ever wielded a sword like the one from BDO. It is simply too immense to be of any use. It is a poorly designed monstrosity. Sure, it may look cool to those who have never used a sword before, but for those who have it is an absolute joke.

Realism is boring in games imo. And this is a fantasy game after all. Oh hey you got a straight sword, yea me too! Oh he’s got one, and him and her :/ gets boring pretty quick. 
    I am objecting to overly-large swords... not curvature of style. Can you point out who made the demand for straight swords only?

Edit:  Here, choose your 'straight' sword:

We have already seen some great art work from Intrepid Studios. I am confident that they can delve into both human history and fantasy to embellish and improve upon the large variety of options we have at our disposal.
  • Nefelia said:
    The issue is realism and physics, rather than straight history.

History is useful however, as it informs us of thew kind of sword can be effectively used in different roles.

There is a reason that no knight has ever wielded a sword like the one from BDO. It is simply too immense to be of any use. It is a poorly designed monstrosity. Sure, it may look cool to those who have never used a sword before, but for those who have it is an absolute joke.

I am objecting to overly-large swords... not curvature of style. Can you point out who made the demand for straight swords only?

Edit:  Here, choose your 'straight' sword:

We have already seen some great art work from Intrepid Studios. I am confident that they can delve into both human history and fantasy to embellish and improve upon the large variety of options we have at our disposal.
    I believe the Russian government is trying to influence only having straight swords. 
  • Ok so... if we dont get big swords all mage classes should be like Happy Potter.

It is a game. We are not talking about Monster Hunter Word. We just want something more. We arent playing assassins creed.

Anyways. Steven said no oversized swords.
    Let's see if in the future updates we will get something bigger. Mind you I play with twin swords but I like looking at berserks snd such
    edited August 2018
    I want dual shields
  • reaccon said:
    I want dual shields
    It is nice to have wants, but confirmed multiple times no dual wielding shields.
    Image result for hulk dual wield shield
    edited August 2018
    Ikr, but the forum is full of wants and i wanted to be part of the movement ;)
    edited August 2018
    Ok so... if we dont get big swords all mage classes should be like Happy Potter.
    Why?
    England has literature featuring sorcerers, wizards, and witches dating back thousands of years. As does China. As does every nation and ethnic group in the world.
    How does limiting AoC's magic system to a single example relate to my argument that human history and literary tradition has hundreds of swords to draw upon for inspiration.

It is a game. We are not talking about Monster Hunter Word. We just want something more.

Who is this collective "we"?

Just scrolling through the comments here I note that some people don't want to see oversized swords.

We arent playing assassins creed.

No, but if I wanted to play Final Fantasy (with their absurd swords), I know where to get a copy.

Anyways. Steven said no oversized swords.
    The Sandaled God of Wisdom has spoken. Let us bask in his glory.
  • I believe the Russian government is trying to influence only having straight swords. 

Alright, well played. :)

edited August 2018
    It's hard for me to tell right now but 2 handers could probably be increased a little especially if they still plan on this being a one hander.

Maybe increase it by 20-30% but not sure though. They might still be trying to figure out their design so it's hard for me to make a call but I think I would prefer them increasing the size a little or at least the blade's length.
  • Is there a list anywhere of all the confirmed different types of weapons?
    Eg Daggers, short sword, sword n board, 2h sword, staff, crossbow, etc..
  • Realism is boring in games imo. And this is a fantasy game after all. Oh hey you got a straight sword, yea me too! Oh he’s got one, and him and her :/ gets boring pretty quick. 
    It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron
  • nagash said:
    It was too big to be called a sword. Massive, thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it was a heap of raw iron
    Its called THICC now
  • reaccon said:
    nagash said:
    Its called THICC now
    I can just see puc saying THICC
  • Weird to ask for immersion in a fantasy game. Of course swords shouldn't be as big as in monster hunter world but if someone can cast meteors he can surely enchant my character to be of super human strength or there could be a million other reason why my character has this power. So of course many would use a bigger sword if they had this kind of strength. I'm sure there will be many weapon skins so most people will be happy.