Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

More than one healing class?

Will there be more than one healing class is this game?  I love playing healers but lately MMOs release with just one healing mechanic (I'm sure there will be multiple ways to DPS).  When I say healer I mean main healer that can solo heal a dungeon and not some "offspec".

Comments

• Will there be more than one healing class is this game?  I love playing healers but lately MMOs release with just one healing mechanic (I'm sure there will be multiple ways to DPS).  When I say healer I mean main healer that can solo heal a dungeon and not some "offspec".
    Why yes! There are actually 64 (sort of) class combinations to be made in Ashes

There will be 8 main Classes to choose from. From which you can choose to either choose one of the other classes to "augment"
    your main class into a different way for your skills to morph into. Or you can choose to double pick your class to have the skills "specilized" Which basicaly means just more and better in what your class already does.

In your case which could be the Cleric, or bard both of which are supposed to heal and buff your team. 

Do understand though that players first test will be next month of the classes and specific systems only so the game is out there but not fully finished :) 

However you can check out more about the classes and even Steven's (The creator of Ashes and Owner of Intrepid) comments regarding them in this link below

http://www.aocwiki.net/Classes

The wiki also has tons of more information of up to date information on Everything currently known and released!
  • Do understand though that players first test will be next month of the classes and specific systems only so the game is out there but not fully finished :) 

To clarify, the testing that is happening next month will only include 4 of the 8 primary archtypes: Tank, Cleric, Ranger, and Mage
  • Zastro said:
    Do understand though that players first test will be next month of the classes and specific systems only so the game is out there but not fully finished :) 

To clarify, the testing that is happening next month will only include 4 of the 8 primary archtypes: Tank, Cleric, Ranger, and Mage
    Confirmed?
    No fighter?
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Zastro said:

Confirmed?
    No fighter?
    We won't be getting the other 4 archetypes until Alpha 1 phase 2. Those 4 being the Fighter, Rogue, Bard, and Summoner
  • >. <

Tank lfg then
  • I've only seen the Cleric referenced for healing.

From what I've read, one's secondary class will augment their primary class. I don't think this would be enough to make a non-Cleric a viable healer.
  • Nefelia said:
    I've only seen the Cleric referenced for healing.

From what I've read, one's secondary class will augment their primary class. I don't think this would be enough to make a non-Cleric a viable healer.
    I agree.. I think people are reading too much into this "64 classes" thing.. Its going to be the 8 archetypes, augmented by another of choice.. Like if you get a Tank and make it a Tank/cleric.. You don't get a tank with all the cleric skills.. I'd imagine you get your same skills, like a Shield wall as an example, then once you cast it (if secondary augmented by cleric) your shield wall will regen a small self heal over time or something.. 
    edited August 2018
    Flameh0t said:
    Nefelia said:
    I've only seen the Cleric referenced for healing.

I agree.. I think people are reading too much into this "64 classes" thing.. Its going to be the 8 archetypes, augmented by another of choice.. Like if you get a Tank and make it a Tank/cleric.. You don't get a tank with all the cleric skills.. I'd imagine you get your same skills, like a Shield wall as an example, then once you cast it (if secondary augmented by cleric) your shield wall will regen a small self heal over time or something.. 
    This is also entirely possible!

Also yes I suppose my wording may be a bit off. 64 Class combinations for the 8 classes would probably have been a better way to say it.

But I am thinking in a more broad spectrum :) These augments change how your base class skills work right. So doubling down on Cleric/Cleric would make your total heals better true. The Bard from what I understand "Buffs" the classes. So I was thinking combining the cleric heals and having those "Heals" morphed into "Buffing Heals" would be pretty neat and invaluable if the system can sustain it :)

edited August 2018
    Well the Cleric is the healing class, any sub-class derived from it will be a Cleric at the core of it and have augments around it so technically there is 8 healers but with the same base.
  • Well the Cleric is the healing class, any sub-class derived from it will be a Cleric at the core of it and have augments around it so technically there is 8 healers but with the same base.
    And maybe 8 secondary healers if you take Cleric as a second class.  Depending on how much healing you can do from it.
  • Heals for days
  • First of all, thank you all for your reply's.  But I am a  bit confused now.  The Bard will also be a main healer?  Or is it just the Cleric?  I would like at least two healing options but from I am reading it doesn't sound like bard will be a (pure) healing class.  But then again, maybe healing will be completely different in this game.
  • First of all, thank you all for your reply's.  But I am a  bit confused now.  The Bard will also be a main healer?  Or is it just the Cleric?  I would like at least two healing options but from I am reading it doesn't sound like bard will be a (pure) healing class.  But then again, maybe healing will be completely different in this game.
    Well we don't know how most of the four remaining classes will work so it's impossible to give a accuracy answer with out more info.
  • So are you saying you will only play if there is a second main healing class?  If that is what you want then I think you are out of luck.  Anything other then having a Cleric main class will only ever be a secondary healing class....but nothing wrong running a couple of those in your 8 man party.
  • My understanding is that race will change a character’s playstyle.  An elven cleric will be different from a dwarven cleric.  So there’s no such thing as “just a cleric”.
    edited August 2018
    Expect many flavors of Healer in Ashes.
    16 sub-classes of Cleric, plus augments from Social, Religious and Racial paths, etc.
    At the least.
  • nagash said:
    Heals for days
    Self-healing bayonets for days.
  • We do not have anything concrete on healers other then the cleric. Because it is one of the four classes that has been on video and played in alpha and at some of the gaming shows. I hope Dygz is correct and that the augments/sub classes  will give the user the ability to be a healer but I am a bit more skeptical until we see what the augmented classes, religions, etc add to the base adventure class. I would feel confident that all the main class clerics have abilities to heal but beyond that I really am not sure. 
  • Dygz said:
    Expect many flavors of Healer in Ashes.
    16 sub-classes of Cleric, plus augments from Social, Religious and Racial paths, etc.
    At the least.

Exactly this! I think there will be multiple ways to heal as a Cleric through the augment system.
    For example you could do Hot´s instead of an normal heal or an instant cast but less healing or a healing with a Hot left! And i expect, that the skills will look different if you augment it!
    But at least we will see in the future, how that all would work togehter.

I am very exited to see news on it ;)
    edited August 2018
    Sintu said:
    We do not have anything concrete on healers other then the cleric. Because it is one of the four classes that has been on video and played in alpha and at some of the gaming shows. I hope Dygz is correct and that the augments/sub classes  will give the user the ability to be a healer but I am a bit more skeptical until we see what the augmented classes, religions, etc add to the base adventure class. I would feel confident that all the main class clerics have abilities to heal but beyond that I really am not sure. 

Cleric as secondary class certainly includes the ability to heal. Whether players feel that is significant enough to act as a primary healer remains to be seen.

The Social, Religious, Racial, etc augments don't necessarily provide healing abilities - what they will provide, when added to Cleric healing abilities, are different flavors of healing.
  • Dygz said:
    Sintu said:
    We do not have anything concrete on healers other then the cleric. Because it is one of the four classes that has been on video and played in alpha and at some of the gaming shows. I hope Dygz is correct and that the augments/sub classes  will give the user the ability to be a healer but I am a bit more skeptical until we see what the augmented classes, religions, etc add to the base adventure class. I would feel confident that all the main class clerics have abilities to heal but beyond that I really am not sure. 

Cleric as secondary class certainly includes the ability to heal. Whether players feel that is significant enough to act as a primary healer remains to be seen.

The Social, Religious, Racial, etc augments don't necessarily provide healing abilities - what they will provide, when added to Cleric healing abilities, are different flavors of healing.
    I must have just not heard that yet. Did Intrepid say with Cleric as the secondary class it will have heals?  @dygz

I do hope this is correct but I thought secondary classes had not been implemented at all yet. I had heard that we would not get the skills of the secondary class it would only change the flavor of the skills of the primary class. 

Going to ask for help from @UnknownSystemError who may know this answer as well. 
  • @Sintu They did indeed say that picking cleric may augment certain skills to make them have a healing component. I could go looking for the exact quote, but instead will just rely on memory. The heals will most likely not be healing others but would have a self heal component. So your fighter/cleric may have a specific strike that has a heal proc on the end, or your summoner/cleric has a pet that has an ambient heal instead of a tank or dps skill. This was just Steven spitballing on the issue, and you are correct in that they have a plan, but none of it has been implemented yet, and may very well change as we have seen with other stuff.
  • @Sintu They did indeed say that picking cleric may augment certain skills to make them have a healing component. I could go looking for the exact quote, but instead will just rely on memory. The heals will most likely not be healing others but would have a self heal component. So your fighter/cleric may have a specific strike that has a heal proc on the end, or your summoner/cleric has a pet that has an ambient heal instead of a tank or dps skill. This was just Steven spitballing on the issue, and you are correct in that they have a plan, but none of it has been implemented yet, and may very well change as we have seen with other stuff.
    Thanks so much for clearing that up!  No need to look it up it would seem both you and Dygz remember that. 
  • I'm actually hoping the Cleric is the only healing class. At least the main archetype. 

The way Intrepid is designing the game, they have a lot of flexibility with the class combinations. So while having the Cleric archetype as the only healing class, I hope that the secondary combinations are what make it unique different. So that players can become a HOT healer, Single Target, Instant Casts, Long Cast times, etc.

One of the issues I've had with a lot of previously games is that I often play a healer in PvP. Due to particular class makeup and design, it's difficult to play arena or competitive pvp without multiple healing classes. As fotm switching so frequently and often healers get left behind for seasons.

Having a single healer class that could change a secondary to adjust to fotm would be ideal. It would allow me, and those like me, to play as the healer of the group without feeling the need to constantly level alts. (The same can happen to DPS classes, obviously, but not to the same extent as healers.)
  • Lex1961 said:
    So are you saying you will only play if there is a second main healing class?  If that is what you want then I think you are out of luck.  Anything other then having a Cleric main class will only ever be a secondary healing class....but nothing wrong running a couple of those in your 8 man party.
    I'm sorry if I gave that negative impression.  No, I will be playing a healer no matter what.  All I am saying is that I hope that I will have more than one healing style.  Look at some of the other MMOs, most have at least 2 healers.  I don't know how many WoW has now...4?

Thank you.
  • Glory said:
    I'm actually hoping the Cleric is the only healing class. At least the main archetype. 

The way Intrepid is designing the game, they have a lot of flexibility with the class combinations. So while having the Cleric archetype as the only healing class, I hope that the secondary combinations are what make it unique different. So that players can become a HOT healer, Single Target, Instant Casts, Long Cast times, etc.

One of the issues I've had with a lot of previously games is that I often play a healer in PvP. Due to particular class makeup and design, it's difficult to play arena or competitive pvp without multiple healing classes. As fotm switching so frequently and often healers get left behind for seasons.

Having a single healer class that could change a secondary to adjust to fotm would be ideal. It would allow me, and those like me, to play as the healer of the group without feeling the need to constantly level alts. (The same can happen to DPS classes, obviously, but not to the same extent as healers.)
    This makes sense now.  I guess we just need to wait to get more information and how exactly the sub-class choice will impact the primary.  It would be nice if I could switch sub classes on the fly (or at least a couple) to change my play style depending on situations like you described.
  • Yep. You run into the same thing in raiding content also. Maybe AOE healing is needed for your guild? Or maybe you need a main tank healer?

I just like the idea of you being a healer, and able to fill the specific portion of that role that is needed. I also think this benefits others are they are able to play with the healers/friends and you don't run into a scenario where you can't accomplish X because you don't have the right healer(s) for it.

On that note; I hope the same concept extends to the Tank class.
  • Glory said:
    Yep. You run into the same thing in raiding content also. Maybe AOE healing is needed for your guild? Or maybe you need a main tank healer?

I just like the idea of you being a healer, and able to fill the specific portion of that role that is needed. I also think this benefits others are they are able to play with the healers/friends and you don't run into a scenario where you can't accomplish X because you don't have the right healer(s) for it.

On that note; I hope the same concept extends to the Tank class.
    Yeap I'm very curious as well how all the augments will morph and affect different skills. Will make tanking and healing aspects very different from other games
  • I believe that players need to get away from thinking of clerics as healers.  Do something else with your character to support your team instead of spamming heals on a tank/cleric who may have his own self heal or a fighter that has a vampiric weapon.  

Does anyone know what the unique skill is for clerics?  I'm not sure but countering poison may be it or will it be something to deal with undead?  Build something off that instead of not paying attention to the beautiful fight in front of you because your eyes are glued to lifebars on the edge of the screen.
    edited September 2018
    Lusiphur said:
    I believe that players need to get away from thinking of clerics as healers.  Do something else with your character to support your team instead of spamming heals on a tank/cleric who may have his own self heal or a fighter that has a vampiric weapon.  

Does anyone know what the unique skill is for clerics?  I'm not sure but countering poison may be it or will it be something to deal with undead?  Build something off that instead of not paying attention to the beautiful fight in front of you because your eyes are glued to lifebars on the edge of the screen.
    If I am not mistaken the Cleric was able to remove the poison cloud when entering a dungeon in one of the videos and I believe this was its unique ability. 

it has been confirmed there is a trinity system so you can take that for what it’s worth.