Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

EU > US, GDPR and My.com account info

Important question for you guys.

Following the reveal that My.com will be publishing the EU version of Ashes of Creation I have decided to play on the US servers as I want nothing to do with those guys whatsoever.

However, re-reading this extract:

Account Security
Intrepid and My.com will be working closely together on bringing the account protection services to an even higher level. As part of that collaboration, we at My.com are happy to announce, that we will be providing additional account security mechanisms, such as Two-Factor authentication, that will help to protect all our user’s accounts. This will allow us to further expand security and control over accounts and data for all users and we hope to share specifics on these plans in the near future.
With the most recent implementation of the GDPR changes for European users, we have already solidified the security of your account and personal information, and given all My.com users more direct control over their data. These recent upgrades together with the plans we are pursuing with Intrepid will ensure that our data security is now up to the highest standards of the industry.
In addition to this, we will also closely collaborate on providing the client-server technology that will support this account security. Intrepid Studios will remain in full charge of compiling and providing the Ashes of Creation client through the My.com / mail.ru infrastructure, so that the process is as concise and secure as possible.

Does this mean that My.com already have copies of our data?  Or going forward will any EU user data already be pre-loaded onto their systems for validation/verification?

Because if it is I immediately request that my data is removed from there servers.

Comments

• We had all a bad feeling about this company. But, Steven talked with them. And they are willing, to make a real good job. So the most of the community decided now, to give My.com a real chance. You should maybe try that too.
    Your data`s are daily everywhere right at the moment, you are online.
  • cafcmatt said:
    Important question for you guys.

Following the reveal that My.com will be publishing the EU version of Ashes of Creation I have decided to play on the US servers as I want nothing to do with those guys whatsoever.

However, re-reading this extract:

Account Security
    Intrepid and My.com will be working closely together on bringing the account protection services to an even higher level. As part of that collaboration, we at My.com are happy to announce, that we will be providing additional account security mechanisms, such as Two-Factor authentication, that will help to protect all our user’s accounts. This will allow us to further expand security and control over accounts and data for all users and we hope to share specifics on these plans in the near future.
    With the most recent implementation of the GDPR changes for European users, we have already solidified the security of your account and personal information, and given all My.com users more direct control over their data. These recent upgrades together with the plans we are pursuing with Intrepid will ensure that our data security is now up to the highest standards of the industry.
    In addition to this, we will also closely collaborate on providing the client-server technology that will support this account security. Intrepid Studios will remain in full charge of compiling and providing the Ashes of Creation client through the My.com / mail.ru infrastructure, so that the process is as concise and secure as possible.

Does this mean that My.com already have copies of our data?  Or going forward will any EU user data already be pre-loaded onto their systems for validation/verification?

Because if it is I immediately request that my data is removed from there servers.
    That is an excellent question, imo, and given how a lot of the anger is precisely because of My.com's terrible reputation when it comes to security, I for one am deeply concerned if it turns out they've already been given access to data 
  • Hello friend,

To answer your question, only players who register with My.com or Mail.ru will have their data stored there. Intrepid will never share account data with any third party ❤️

Please make sure to read read the statement from My.com, Intrepid will be working closely with them to ensure quality of service and to implement the vision of Ashes 🖖🏻
  • Where are you getting that from? My.com didn't mean that they have our data and have secured it, they meant that they are already following GDPR regulations and are ready to store our data securely (if you choose to do so).

If they had your data (what data btw?), that would mean they were breaking the law they just talked about (GDPR). That makes no sense at all.
  • If Steven manages to alleviate the fears about my.com it would be pretty big of an achievement considering their past. 
  • If Steven manages to alleviate the fears about my.com it would be pretty big of an achievement considering their past. 
    Most of my concerns were put to rest just by realizing that GDPR would hammer the fuck out of My.com if they had insufficient data security measures.

There are quite a few things to criticize about that law, but it certainly served the public well by providing extreme incentives for corporations to tighten up their security.
  • Thanks @GMSteven for the reply.
    in reference to those wondering where I was taking this, it was in reference to the part about 'we have already solidified your account and personal information'.

As for what data they could have held - as with all backers there needs to be a mechanism to sync all our account perks on my.com, and that was my concern that my data (email, address, username etc...) could have been supplied.

Yes the GDPR is a massive deterrent and I'd love to proved wrong but it's not something I'm willing to take a chance on.

Like we've all said it's too far along to change now; however having to settle with the 'best of a bad bunch' in order to deliver a global release because development is moving on rapidly is settling for second best.
  • Well, actually if am right the GDPR states, that you can ask them what information of yours they have. You can even tell them that they should delete your data, but un that case you will probably lose your account by them.
    These are only my thoughts though, could be that I am wrong.
  • In the my.com I would be willing to venture a guess that they were referring to the steps they've taken with the already existing customers they have.   May have just been poor wording on their part.