Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Could you play a MMO without killing anything?

I heard a story of a lady who played WoW, and she leveled up to 85 without killing anything, so she says. Mainly she got her exp from exploring and work only.

So, I was wondering if there are others out in the MMO multiverse who play their games the same way.

Can you play any MMO without killing?

Comments

• I would have found that impossible in any I've played, especially getting out of the beginning areas.
  • Could I?
    Yes.

Would I?
    No.

I'm not going to make a second job out of a video game to reach that level in a fictional world... even though I might want to.  Can't justify the time.
  • I'm to much of a PvP player to even think of doing something like that. 
  • I'm mainly a solo PvE'er and Guild crafter type, but to not kill ANYTHING?  I can't remember any game that I've played that would accommodate not killing anything at all.  Everything that I have played required some killing to level.  I made it about 3 hours in WoW though before I uninstalled it - I didn't even know it was possible to level without killing.
  • I guess I could play it but I don't know if I would find it fun, I like Hunting mobs too much. And I have not played a game that didn't have any form of combat that I found fun. so I just ticked I couldn't
  • Yes. It's called the Carebear challenge.
  • what do you think?
  • Yes its possible, but why would you want to? :grin:
  • The biggest attraction in this genre is the very act of slaughter, how could I do without it ? I mean irl I can't drop a meteorite on someones head :P 
  • How much did PETA pay you to ask that question?
  • How much did PETA pay you to ask that question?
    It was not enough 
  • If there was a "yes,, unless there are Elves" option, I'd have taken it.
  • Kratz said:
    If there was a "yes,, unless there are Elves" option, I'd have taken it.
    I mean if no one dies then who am I going to resurrect 
  • I find that thought pretty interesting, even though i would never be able to do it my own i guess. I love the grind (PvX) too much to handle it
  • nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Worry not my marrow minded friend. There are always bloody Elves.
  • Kratz said:
    nagash said:
    Kratz said:
    Worry not my marrow minded friend. There are always bloody Elves.
    But their frail bones break to easily dwarfs are great for mining even when dead ^^
  • If count playing as healer and letting others do the killing for you sure, otherwise no.
  • You could possibly do it with a summoner just get your pets or whatever they will use to kill mobs.
  • You could possibly do it with a summoner just get your pets or whatever they will use to kill mobs.
    now thats a great loophole 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    I would not attempt it myself but i would be very interested in watching someone else do it. I would also be curious to see the character backstory that the player would think up.
  • Yes, look at this wonderful Panda in WoW who is collecting flowers for over.. I don't know... 7 years now?

Is it fun? Well for me it isn't. But it is possible if you can gain exp besides mobs.
  • Caelron said:
    Could I?
    Yes.

Would I?
    No.

Pretty much my thought exactly.

Why would you even want to play the game without killing anything? No mmo is designed that way and it would remove most of the interesting elements in the game. (Can't quest, can't PvP, can't Raid, etc.)
  • In EQ2 you would probably need good gear from alts right from the start.  You would constantly be running away from mobs because there is so much aggro..  You would have to pick your quests very carefully, and probably rarely if ever enter an instance, You would probably end up dying a lot from not fighting back.  And you would have to avoid using defensive auto-attack spells that might kill a weak mob before you could run away.  I am assuming that you are never going to group and simply benefit from other people killing stuff.

It would be pretty tough.
  • I am assuming that you are never going to group and simply benefit from other people killing stuff.

Good point. I suppose you could just roll a healer and have someone else do all the killing for you.  B)
  • I had alts in Star Wars Galaxies that did nothing but crafting.  That game had professions that had nothing to do with combat.

I’m not sure if you could do that in AoC, it’s not like you can roll a “Baker” or “Tailor” class.  But I know I can do it on an MMO because I have.
  • It may be possible to never kill anything in the game, but I would believe that it would be darn near bloody impossible.
    That person would most likely never leave the starting safe zone if there is one or make a frighten rabbit hidding every time they are out of the safe area.
    But someone will try to do it.
  • I will occasionally play a game that involves exploration but not combat. I can only play said game for so long before I crave combat. Things don't have to die, but I every so often require more than a puzzle pretty scenery.
  • Killing mobs is part of what I do while exploring, I move through the world killing, gathering, and just exploring, looking in around, behind, on top and below to find those hidden things.
    edited August 2018
    I have a lot of low level adventurers that are high level (even max level) crafters, but I am assuming the level 85 toon in question is an adventurer.  One of my level 100 crafters is only a level 2 adventurer.  I suppose it is possible that toon of mine has never killed anything, but he probably has killed a few mobs.

edited August 2018
    Nope, because even if I tried to be some tree hugging Py'rian Pacifist Puss... eventually I'd see someone higher level, messing with a newer or newbie, and i'd just have to put the smackdown on them.