Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Official My.com Press Release and statements

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited August 2018 in Announcements & Headlines

Greetings all,

VolkerMyCom writes:

Pay-to-Win
As previously communicated, we at My.com are, and remain, fully committed to supporting the creative vision that Steven and Intrepid Studios has for Ashes of Creation. Their vision appeals to the desires of western MMORPG fans, and we are fully committed to bringing this non-Pay-to-Win vision to the European players.

In the past, My.com has published and developed primarily titles that were, from the ground up, built around a Free-To-Play model. This is not the case with Ashes of Creation, which is fully tailored towards a subscription-based business model. We want to make sure the game reaches our players with a business model and monetisation options that matches the expectations of the fans and backers of Ashes of Creation.

We are fully supporting the Non-Pay-to-Win vision that Steven and Intrepid Studios have, and we will implement the same model for the My.com version as they implement for their version.

We believe that Ashes of Creation will be one of the largest MMOs ever to be globally published, and as a publisher, we are excited to help lead the charge , together with Steven and our friends at Intrepid Studios.
Customer Service
While My.com is always striving to provide the best possible Customer Service for any of our titles, we may not always be meeting the players’ expectations in this regard. The feedback about Customer Service is traditionally one of the toughest parts of publishing an online game, but this will not deter us from improving. We are continually working on getting better in this area, and we want you to keep on telling us about your expectations.

In order to provide the best possible Customer Service for Ashes of Creation specifically, My.com will be working closely with Intrepid Studios to establish global procedures and policies for our players in the European and CIS regions. We will also establish joint service level expectations that My.com will commit to fulfilling.

As a first step to underline our commitment, we will already begin providing a base level of Customer Service for the European and CIS region, starting on the first of September. This will give us some head start on making sure that everything is set up for the times when players in Europe will have actual issues with which they contact us. Should you want to get in contact already - we are looking forward to hearing how we are doing there and where specifically you would want us to improve.
Account Security
Intrepid and My.com will be working closely together on bringing the account protection services to an even higher level. As part of that collaboration, we at My.com are happy to announce, that we will be providing additional account security mechanisms, such as Two-Factor authentication, that will help to protect all our user’s accounts. This will allow us to further expand security and control over accounts and data for all users and we hope to share specifics on these plans in the near future.

With the most recent implementation of the GDPR changes for European users, we have already solidified the security of your account and personal information, and given all My.com users more direct control over their data. These recent upgrades together with the plans we are pursuing with Intrepid will ensure that our data security is now up to the highest standards of the industry.

In addition to this, we will also closely collaborate on providing the client-server technology that will support this account security. Intrepid Studios will remain in full charge of compiling and providing the Ashes of Creation client through the My.com / mail.ru infrastructure, so that the process is as concise and secure as possible.
In contrast to the titles that My.com was able to publish in the past, we now find ourselves in the very positive situation of working with a game that is in active development, and which is being built by a team that has internalized the requirements for localisation and has considered this from the get-go.

Intrepid Studios is already providing us with the necessary localisation tools that will allow My.com to focus on the actual localisation rather than having to work around a missing infrastructure. This will ultimately allow us to provide a localisation quality that meets our own expectations as much as those of the Ashes of Creation community. Additionally, the benefits of cooperating so early with the developers as in this case, allows us to provide feedback on matters of translations before things are set, which will further benefit the quality of translation in the game.
Server Quality
In order to provide the server quality, uptime and general operations stability that we all expect from a game like Ashes of Creation, we will once again work closely with Intrepid Studios who, by building a solid and robust infrastructure and the necessary tools for managing them in the first place, will lay the foundation for what will be a high quality server environment for the European and CIS players.

In addition to the close consultation with Intrepid, our IT teams are already now beginning our technical planning. Working with our five, globally distributed data centers, we will be able to provide local servers that allow for the best possible connectivity, while working with cloud server providers such as Google and Amazon we are investigating possibilities for quick and efficient scaling of resources to quickly react to changes in demand of computing power.

Also here we will be able to benefit from working on the technical backbones early on in the development process, which allows us to make sure that the game and the infrastructure can work harmoniously instead of having to find ways to “work around” server structures that are developed for a more centralised market such as can be found in Asia. Intrepid supports the needs of a European infrastructure so that My.com can focus on providing the best possible service.

In addition to these Official statements, I would also like to add the following comments as posted in the Official Ashes of Creation Discord server.

Comments

• As long as Steven holds them to this i have no problems.
  • Good luck to my European friends! 
  • My.com... Well, I'm all for second chances... but when it's your sixth chance and five previous ones you blew off... No. As long as my.com is anywhere near Ashes of Creation I'll stay back and make sure my friends and as many others as I can find do the same. I'm just glad I didn't buy into the game yet. 
  • Words are cheap. Put your actions where your mouth is. As long as my.com has not proven themselfes i will anybody recommend to stay away from AoC.
  • Nastrand said:
    Good luck to my European friends! 
    Thank you
  • I know from experience that their customer support is min existanst, yet its the server quality i'm most worried about. My latest experience was from revelation online and the servers were just as bad(if not worse) as the customer support. To give you an idea- during wars between 2 guilds the server would freeze/rubberband for like 5-15seconds
  • I've heard nothing but bad things about my.com but had no personal experience, should I be prepared to play on u.s servers if possible?
  • Encouraging words but time will be the ultimate test
  • Put my trust in mail.ru? Ага, еще чего... 
  • Someone spent a long time compiling this message. I really appreciate the sentiment. I don't want this to sound toxic, I really don't, so I will try to be constructive.

"Customer Service 
    As a first step to underline our commitment, we will already begin providing a base level of Customer Service for the European and CIS region, starting on the first of September. This will give us some head start on making sure that everything is set up for the times when players in Europe will have actual issues with which they contact us. Should you want to get in contact already - we are looking forward to hearing how we are doing there and where specifically you would want us to improve. "

This is a fantastic step towards creating a good standard for customer service appreciation. I would expect everyone subscribed here to wait with baited breath for specific details on promise to adhere to a service. OFC this is just sweet nothings without a condition also built in for penalties for failure to adhere to such a service. 

"Account Security
    With the most recent implementation of the GDPR changes for European users, we have already solidified the security of your account and personal information, and given all My.com users more direct control over their data."

There are potentially huge fines applied for failure to adhere to these regulations. One of the basic functions built into the GDPR is to have your data deleted upon request. I tried to do this with my data on this forum, with the hopes of renewing my account to the username I wish to keep. You still do not have an option to remove account data and neither did you respond to the mail I sent to you regarding it. I openly admit my intent was not for privacy reasons, so I did not pursue it any further than the mail I sent. But you must appreciate this shows lack of consideration to apply GDPR standards. Promises to apply them in the future holds little respect for me.

The fact that Interpid took the time to write this piece shows great character. I have never seen an MMO game supplier accept their mistakes with such openness before. It is brilliant to see, and no one is perfect. Far too many devs see themselves as above reproach once they have cash in their coffers. Taking the time to read through all the whines and moans must be seen as a very positive step to resolving this debacle. I really would like to see this venture survive into what it aspires to be, one of the greats.

• Hold them on a tight leash and it shall be good :3
  • Hold them on a tight leash and it shall be good :3
    I was going to say hold them by the spine but yours is fine ^^
  • The only cherry atop the cake now would be if someone told me that my.com had gotten a new ceo or something in the last couple months. That would tell some people to actually give them one more chance if they were headed for a new direction with new leadership.
  • Reeeally not a smart move, especially when my.com ALREADY has horrible history. Now we watch. 
  • All of you naysayers that don't want to touch Ashes now because of My.Com's EU involvement, I have only one thing to say to you:

"You are really going to miss out on one of the most fun MMOs in a very long time"

*waves*

(if latency allows, you can always just play on the NA servers)
  • I'm from Europe but I don't know my.com. Why should I be worried? I don't think there are many things that can keep me away from this game, it already looks to awesome!
  • Hivendo said:
    I'm from Europe but I don't know my.com. Why should I be worried? I don't think there are many things that can keep me away from this game, it already looks to awesome!
    "has a worse rep than EA because unlike EA mycom actually has a 100% destruction spree on their catalog"

not my words, but i am extremely wary of mycom.

has there been any news on billing services on eu? cause im not entrusting mycom with a loaded machinegun
  • skearn said:
    has there been any news on billing services on eu? cause im not entrusting mycom with a loaded machinegun
    This statement declaring that my.com will be responsible for EU billing was made before Steven went to Amsterdam to meet up with my.com, but it's highly unlikely anything will change in this regard.
  • Khaler said:
    All of you naysayers that don't want to touch Ashes now because of My.Com's EU involvement, I have only one thing to say to you:

"You are really going to miss out on one of the most fun MMOs in a very long time"

*waves*

(if latency allows, you can always just play on the NA servers)
    I've had increasing concerns over the last 6 months but I haven't written them off yet. 

There are some negatives but their are a lot of positives as well.

I won't be backing the project anymore, at one point I was strongly leaning to backing it but over time I have gotten hesitant.

Game has a lot of potential I'm in the wait and see what happens and give it a try when it comes out position at the moment.

I think each person really needs to just consider all the facts presented and decide for them selves if they are still committed believers, wait and see, or extreme doubters. Their really is no wrong choice it's something each person needs to decide for themselves. 

Thankfully I don't live in EU nor do I really know the history of My.Com, sounds like with some people it will be a you have to prove it to me position ATM.

I can say without a doubt if they went with EA, Ubisoft or Daybreak in the US I would stay away, their would have to be some serious changes to those companies and factual and actual changes over a period before I would even think about spending a penny on any of those companies, regardless how good a company is business ethics is important.

I was a long time Apple customer since the first Mac that came out when I was in school, Ipods, Iphones, Ipads, Mac Books. I won't touch Apple products anymore I despise the company and their business ethics nor would I contribute to a greedy company like that . Nothing against people that loves Apple still I went from Extreme love to extreme hate.

So I could understand some peoples strong objections to My.Com based on their personal experiences.  I think only time and action will tell and convince some of these people to give them a chance.  Personally I don't kow the company so can't say my self.

I really do hope the game is still successful.  I hope My.Com handles things differently for AOC for the sake of my EU brothers and sisters.

I have not written AOC off, I really hope everything works well and the game does great if it sticks to it's original vision. I will wait and see and only time will tell.
  • syldon said:
    The fact that Interpid took the time to write this piece shows great character. I have never seen an MMO game supplier accept their mistakes with such openness before. It is brilliant to see, and no one is perfect. Far too many devs see themselves as above reproach once they have cash in their coffers. Taking the time to read through all the whines and moans must be seen as a very positive step to resolving this debacle. I really would like to see this venture survive into what it aspires to be, one of the greats.

The problem with Intrepid is, they talk and they talk a lot, but their actions speak another language. So for example, Marc Jacobs when Camelot Unchained had to delay the beta, offered and granted people refunds if they were not happy with this decision, something that I think was fair to the backers of the project. And this is the case up to this date.

Intrepid, on the other hand, does not seem to have this fairness if they make decisions the completely other way around as they said previously. When I asked for a refund over this my.com BS, it got denied because I made the funding more than 30 days ago.  And sorry if I hear people talking about "trust Intrepid" or trust"Steven Shariff", No, why should I trust a company or a person that is acting in such a way. Maybe next month they say, you know what, we decided that it is good for the game if my.com decides what´s in the cash shop, or maybe they decide, we do not think that European players should be able to play on NA because my.com complained that they do not make enough money. 
  • Everyone that is still in doubt regarding My.Com, should see this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGsXie8d8mM . It explains everything you can expect from this deal.
  • Hivendo said:
    I'm from Europe but I don't know my.com. Why should I be worried? I don't think there are many things that can keep me away from this game, it already looks to awesome!
    my.com has been a publisher to easter mmo's, and we can say they didnt listen to us and lost big, experience from skyforge and revelations online.

Recommend you this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGsXie8d8mM to understand what's different this time.

• Tsukoyomi said:
    Hivendo said:
    my.com has been a publisher to easter mmo's, and we can say they didnt listen to us and lost big, experience from skyforge and revelations online.

Recommend you this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGsXie8d8mM to understand what's different this time.

Thanks for explaining. I was already subscribed to the channel of TheLazyPeon so I saw the vid. Honestly I'm not so worried as some nay-sayers on this forum :)
  • Well about my.com i would say it rly depends on the devs, as long as Steven holds em on leash and Intrepid controls the game and cash shop it should be fine, as most of the games they published was ment to be cash grabs. 
  • Have they said anything about character transfer to NA servers from EU if and when my.com decides to go back to do business as usual?
  • Well as i get it my.com wont be able to do business as usual as intrepid will control the game and cash shop so my.com wont be able to put anything in it. They will just be our support and and game host. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Yasuo02 said:
    Have they said anything about character transfer to NA servers from EU if and when my.com decides to go back to do business as usual?
    As others have pointed out, please scroll up and watch TheLazyPeon video that others have linked. He spent a lot of time researching it and the issues, and while his MSPaint skills by his own admission need some work, he pretty clearly lays out how it would all go down if My.com was to break the actual contract they have signed by not meeting agreed upon metrics. Would your characters be lost at that point? No. Either they would fold you into the NA service, or another option would be found. Your whole argument works off the assumption that they are some pencil-thin, mustachioed villians just waiting to fuck you, and not a company that sees a legitimate way to come out of the cold, change their image, and make a bunch of money by backing a western mmorpg for the first time in their history, instead of the built for f2p  asian cash grabs their business was able to run up until now.
    Image result for cartoon villains with mustaches
  • Its hard to trust my.com but the trust in the devs is stronger than the doubt for my.com!!!!
  • The only thing i ask is that the developers keep my.com 100% away from ANYTHING ingame, no matter what.

I will give my.com credit because their servers usually are great and ive had very good experiences with their support. Any game they had input in turned out bad.

So.. if they really only will be handling support and network infrastructure for EU, fine with me. Perfect. No complaints from me ever.
    If they handle more however i dont think we can garantee they will make the same mistakes again.

• The only thing i ask is that the developers keep my.com 100% away from ANYTHING ingame, no matter what.

I will give my.com credit because their servers usually are great and ive had very good experiences with their support. Any game they had input in turned out bad.

So.. if they really only will be handling support and network infrastructure for EU, fine with me. Perfect. No complaints from me ever.
    If they handle more however i dont think we can garantee they will make the same mistakes again.

Most people were complaining excatly about account security and their lousy support xD I guess there are some who didn't have to deal with that shit :3