Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Corruption Discussion

1235»

Comments

• got a little question

what do you get from PvP?
    so far as i have read this discussion  i have only got  opinions on the risk aspect,   but  i haven´t read anything about the reward you can get from (OpenWorld-)PvP

because as i see it now there is no reason for me to ever go to PvP, and the "meaningfull PvP"such as arenas, caravans, node sieges, and castle sieges, at least for me they feel more like another quest and  thats the kind of PvP I don´t want, because you could just change PvP to PvE if the AI is strong enough 

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2018
    Oegge said:
    but  i haven´t read anything about the reward you can get from
    Your opponent might drop some raw materials, but most important: You were better than your opponent. How much that's really worth is disputable, but some people like to be better than others or at least think they are ;)
    As for your motivation I can't really understand what you'd want PvP to be. To have an impact on the game world is the most meaningful I could imagine.
    Edit: Now that USE answered the question too, I realise Oegge probably wasn't asking about PvP, but ganking :o
  • The corruption mechanic is there to remove the incentive for ganking others. It is not there to limit OWPVP, just those that engage in it when only one side wants to. As to the reward for becoming corrupted, there is none. We have the statement of "all stick, no carrot" from Steven. There is no plan to add rewards for being a twat or incentive to gank. The cost to your time and character development will be tweaked during testing to make sure the risk vs reward lands firmly on the side of not being profitable to farm others for possible resources.
    edited August 2018
    That's not 100% true. Yes, corruption is a punishment for pvp and you do not gain anything just for randomly killing someone but there are things to be gained by using it like a portion of the resources your target is carrying or control over a farming location.

Hopefully as people play and get to know those around them, their reason for pvping is related more to their relationship with the players instead of what they might be able to gain from doing it.
  • It occurs to me that in the state I was in at that time (sleeping poorly at 4 in the morning) my articulation failed me. I believe that the corruption debt should accrue with every kill they make. Likewise I believe they should be marked for what they've done. But I do believe in the spirit of why Open World PvP should exist, and that the corruption penalty should only apply if they get sloppy and die.
    edited August 2018

With life and death skills, ten different gods, and all the lore that we are not aware of, I'm curious if there are scenarios in which corruption helps a person. 

Example: I am a necromancer using death magic that worships the lord of corruption (or some similar deity), could I channel that corruption summoning a more powerful summons.

• wired172 said:

With life and death skills, ten different gods, and all the lore that we are not aware of, I'm curious if there are scenarios in which corruption helps a person. 

Example: I am a necromancer using death magic that worships the lord of corruption (or some similar deity), could I channel that corruption summoning a more powerful summons.

Your inner demons become outer demons?
  • wired172 said:

Maybe ^^
  • wired172 said:

Steven has been pretty clear that they do not plan to incentivise the corruption penalty. "All stick and no carrot" is the plan. So if there is such a situation that occurs, you can bet it was unplanned, and will be changed once caught. 
  • I think having the incentives and/or ability to create a pirate/thieves guild would make for an interesting dynamic to the game. If a crafter/merchant is fearful of the thieves guild then they will need to work with their guilds to protect the cargo or gathering areas.

I also believe that PKing for the fun of it to thrash lowbies is terrible for a game. Really needs to be a balance so PvP addicts can get their fix but not ruin the experience for more PvE centric players and alike.
    edited September 2018
    @Soulkey has been stated at least twice that the corruption system will give no incentive to gankers. Risk vs Reward will still apply, but it will be "all stick and no carrot"

edit: lol..didn't scroll up and realize I had posted pretty much the exact same comment two weeks ago right above yours.
  • wired172 said:

Steven has been pretty clear that they do not plan to incentivise the corruption penalty. "All stick and no carrot" is the plan. So if there is such a situation that occurs, you can bet it was unplanned, and will be changed once caught. 
    It looks like this has some interest.  It would also be innovative to say the least.  What other MMO out there does this? Instilling fear into others because we now have incentive to gank would make people "Roleplay" all the more,  creating perhaps an assassin's creed.  On the other side of things,  perhaps have a system in place for doing good deeds and gaining a "blessed" state that could impact the world someway.

Although, the more I think about it,  it seems like this has already been thought of and would just make the game REALLY niche....Eh I'm done thinking about it I guess because I just keep thinking about Gods playing a role....and there is already Hyborian Adventures for that.