Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

{Updated}-A1-First Look Combat Discussion. Promising

2»

Comments

• Now that they started changing the combat I am starting to believe Ashes will succeed.
    Shame they didn't start to work on it earlier, because me and many of my friends didn't know if we would like this game -> because for us good combat is at least 60% of the game.

It's still far from perfect but right now I'd love to try it out and play :).

• I just seen the PAX West clip and report over at MMORPG, and must say that I was very turned off by the action combat plus the person bunny hopping so that you can not hit him.
    Like SBFord all that is not my cup of tea!
  • I just seen the PAX West clip and report over at MMORPG, and must say that I was very turned off by the action combat plus the person bunny hopping so that you can not hit him.
    Remember this is only half the combat. The tab target combat was tested during Alpha zero. We will now test action combat during Alpha one phase one. The two will be combined for the final version. 
  • Sintu said:
    I just seen the PAX West clip and report over at MMORPG, and must say that I was very turned off by the action combat plus the person bunny hopping so that you can not hit him.
    Remember this is only half the combat. The tab target combat was tested during Alpha zero. We will now test action combat during Alpha one phase one. The two will be combined for the final version. 
    I'm so stoked to start testing this week

The combat has 100% exceeded my expectations for this alpha. All we need to do is help Intrepid play test the SHIT out of the servers and combat so we can help them fix any backend coding issues that will pop up

Which it is inevitable that they will. AoC is the most ambitous game in years, and it will need to have the most thorough testing because of the systems complexity
  • KiMi said:
    Now that they started changing the combat I am starting to believe Ashes will succeed.
    Shame they didn't start to work on it earlier, because me and many of my friends didn't know if we would like this game -> because for us good combat is at least 60% of the game.

It's still far from perfect but right now I'd love to try it out and play :).

I'm happy to see we have gained new followers!

They waited for the in depth combat design because they needed to make sure the back end systems were working first. Hard to design combat without the systems able to make sure the combat is registering hits and skills correctly

But anyways we are now in Alpha testing :) just a bit over a year later from Kickstarter when all Intrepid had was concept artwork and a basic world built from and some graphic engine stuff.

And look where it is now. Just simply awesome. It took EVERY other company I playtested alphas for 2-3 years to get it to this level. Intrepid has been putting in serious hours workload for this
  • for alpha gameplay, it looks far better than most games that have been out for years already. 
  • I've been seeing some pretty mixed reviews, particularly focused on the camera angle change and and action combat. 

Personally it is way to early to criticise especially since the test phase for combat has yet to begin -

Now after A1 and there is no change/progression up to launch I'll be pretty disappointed.

Anyway I share the same opinion as many in our community. Even looking at the combat in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMEuS892UlE&t=208s from Alpha 0 back in April up to now is amazing. The combat is nowhere near its final form but its clear to see development is taking place... and it's going pretty good~

I'm very hyped to see how Ashes of Creation will be this time next year ^^
  • The only thing I don't like was the amount of flashing lights with some spells, but  I hope that can be toned down 
  • Wow, will there be any 5v5 pvp modes in AoC? I feel like it could be super competitive and fun.
  • nagash said:
    for alpha gameplay, it looks far better than most games that have been out for years already. 
    Dont forget many games have their alpha combat be basically their finished game doubly so for betas but we can be thankful Ashes combat will likely receive some tuning.
  • nagash said:
    The only thing I don't like was the amount of flashing lights with some spells, but  I hope that can be toned down 
    They likely will be.

I'm not sure how many computers would explode if they didnt 😂