Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Cash shop and PAY TO PROGRESS items

I know this has been answered somewhat.

I really hope the developers ONLY put cosmetic items in the cash shop.
Nothing with stats on.

I'd love to be able to buy more bag space via in game means (this is abused by company's every time!)

For the love of god don't follow black deserts HUGE pay to progress curve that shaves months off farming time when you invest £500+

I can't stress this enough because it'll make me quit instantly if I see this again.

Comments

• [quote quote=10447]I know this has been answered somewhat.

I really hope the developers ONLY put cosmetic items in the cash shop.
    Nothing with stats on.

I’d love to be able to buy more bag space via in game means (this is abused by company’s every time!)

For the love of god don’t follow black deserts HUGE pay to progress curve that shaves months off farming time when you invest £500+

I can’t stress this enough because it’ll make me quit instantly if I see this again.

[/quote]
    I know that feel bro. By my knowledge there are none of these rage-inducing items in the cash shop, only cosmetics, vanity mounts and some other vanity item(forgot what). I'm pretty sure steven also understands how frustrating it is.
    They make their cash back and get funding for further development of the game through the monthly subscription and through the ppl who want vanity. $15 might seem small, but considering the number of people(2200+ my estimates) they shouldn't run short of cash
  • Giggles. Yeah. Wont argue with that. I feel that.
    Pay to progress makes a mockery of the game content even existing.
    Why make all the content.....so people can pay a few £100 and avoid it.
    And why the hell would you want to avoid it anyway ?

Its normally so new players and alts can catch up to the VETS because the game designers thought it would be clever to use vertical progression instead of horizontal progression.
    If they used horizontal progression there would be no gap to bridge and no need for such short cuts.
    Gated VET content would not exist....and not be a thing to get to.
  • I agree. All progress of a character should be resulted of a player hard work rather some magical potions that give you a faster progress than other people who don't use the potion.
  • Its not a problem of pay to progress items, its the intent of slowly releasing pay to win items thats the real downfall.

Look at BDO, dont be BDO or archeage.
  • I'm a big fan of things like +xp pots...for alts.

I have a job, a family, kids. Once I've played through the leveling content, I don't mind spending money to go through it faster.
  • [quote quote=11063]I’m a big fan of things like +xp pots…for alts.

I have a job, a family, kids. Once I’ve played through the leveling content, I don’t mind spending money to go through it faster.

[/quote]

Make those login rewards for loyal customers then and not pay to win items. Simple solution
  • Wouldn't mind some type of heirloom item received at max level that gives a small xp boost (~ +5%) but never sold in the cash shop.

While convenience items are nice they shouldn't be for sale until long after the game has launched and gained a solid core of players (+2 years).
  • This is why pay to win mmos never get off the ground, its the bane for all players.
  • I totally agree. I understand the need for a cosmetic cash shop, but I hope they keep it cosmetic only. I know many companies use EXP boosts and Gold boosts, which for many players are accepted as pay for convenience. I see it as pay to win. It is also a warning sign that more pay 2 win items may come later if the game starts "dying".

We can only trust in the developers which in good faith has said (and proven?) that the game already have the money needed to finish. Meaning the kickstarter is a supplementary way to create funds, but also give us the fans a way to show our support. And of course, pick ups some amazing perks!
  • [quote quote=10447]I know this has been answered somewhat.
    [/quote]

This has been answered like 1000 times yes.

<strong>Offical answer: </strong>No items in cash shop or kickstarter with p2w elements.

But such a discussion is endless anyway.

Everyone has his own opinion and there are even some fked up people who are going to say that cosmetic items in item shops is p2w.

At the end of the day most people are greedy and want everything for free. Thats why a lot of companies just go full p2w mode and milk those who are willing to invest.

This aint 2005 anymore where people where willing to pay for quality rather than for items.
  • How about a game for once without a cash shop? Decide on one monetization method and stick to that one,an since u already got the subscrition model this just makes you seem greedy af.
  • I don't mind the cash shop cosmetics... I like to change my look often and I'll end up dumping money into it...

What I dont want to see are things like a pickaxe in the cash shop that you need to mine or a hatchet to cut trees, they should be in game items with durability instead of locking gatherers or crafting items available only the shop required to make high tier gear locking people behind a paywall.. that gets so aggravating. 
  • Pogoo said:
    How about a game for once without a cash shop? Decide on one monetization method and stick to that one,an since u already got the subscrition model this just makes you seem greedy af.
    Explain how it is “greedy”.  I’m honestly curious.
  • Steven has stated from day one and over and over no p2w, so then people try to parse it down in to different classes of p2w. He came out last month and very clearly said that there won't even be p2convenience in the cash shop. No exp pots, no level boosts, none of that. Cosmetic skins and other stuff that fits that mold. Monster coins will be available in the shop. Why? Because they only give cosmetic rewards. And on and on.
  • Let’s say that Intrepid needs $20/month from every player to be able to support the game infrastructure, maintenance, development, marketing, etc.  They do some testing and determine that if they offer purely cosmetic items, the average player will spend $5 a month (based on how well their cosmetic store has sold so far).

Or they could offer pay-to-win items that players are required to buy to be competitive, and then the average player would be paying $20 a month just from the store.

Intrepid then has 3 choices.  They could just make it cost $20 a month in subscriptions and eliminate the in-game store.

They could drop the subscription to $15 a month, have an in-game store, and have the store only offer totally cosmetic items that provide no actual benefit but give you exclusive appearance options for your gear, pets, mounts, house, boat, etc.  They’ll make up the $5 difference from the players that opt for those frills.

Or they could make it totally free, but you can’t really play the game effectively without buying some essential things.  Probably putting the best items in lock boxes that you need ridiculous luck to give you what you actually want.

Which option would you prefer?  Have to pay $20 a month to play?  Only have to pay $15 a month, and there’s a store you can totally ignore if you want?  Or play yet another pay-to-win freemium game?

AoC is doing option B; subscription with a cosmetic (non pay-to-win) store.  Though they haven’t yet announced the subscription price AFAIK, it’s probably going to be around $15 a month.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    It has been confirmed at $15 a month. Look at the packages. "
    • 6 months of game time ($90 Value)"
  • It has been confirmed at $15 a month. Look at the packages. "4 months sub a $60 value!"
    Thanks, I should have just checked the encyclopedia (which is another way of saying “confirming with you”). ;)
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    @Darrio
    guess i'll be the one to link it for you 
    In other words, this means the +Inventory Slots & +EXP Gains will never be in the cash shop

I have a job, a family, kids. Once I've played through the leveling content, I don't mind spending money to go through it faster.
    The AFK training dummy system and many of the various AFK systems in BDO are actually quite wonderful for working adults.  Its also one of the main reasons I still play BDO. I can still progress slowly in the game even though I have limited time to play. 
  • @SkullMonkey
    AFK Features ... 
    • does not belong in an MMO
    • whats the point of logging ... if you aren't going to ACTIVELY PLAY THE GAME?
    • Is only seen in Mobile games. As such ...
    • Does not belong in an MMORPG setting ...
    • BDO is Heavy P2W -  do not compare nor suggest ANYTHING from that game- because its P2W trash
    ... "BDO are actually quite wonderful for working adults ... 
    seriously ??? 
    yeeeaaahhh ... i bet it is ... you only have to drop your entire LifeSavings in BDO 
    I don't need to say anything else ...
  • Eragale said:
    @SkullMonkey
    AFK Features ... 
    • does not belong in an MMO
    • whats the point of logging ... if you aren't going to ACTIVELY PLAY THE GAME?
    • Is only seen in Mobile games. As such ...
    • Does not belong in an MMORPG setting ...
    • BDO is Heavy P2W -  do not compare nor suggest ANYTHING from that game- because its P2W trash
    ... "BDO are actually quite wonderful for working adults ... 
    seriously ??? 
    yeeeaaahhh ... i bet it is ... you only have to drop your entire LifeSavings in BDO 
    I don't need to say anything else ...
    BDO is not my favorite game (I just don’t enjoy playing it) but I do like some things from it.  The character customization is awesome (and it lets you preview your character in various lighting conditions which is genius), and overall the graphics are gorgeous.  I really like the class variety and how they are distinctive.  Character advancement isn’t anything special but it’s done well.  There are some good aspects from it so I wouldn’t dismiss any suggestions based on BDO automatically.  I do agree that the AFK character advancement pretty much defeats the purpose of having advancement at all, and all the P2W stuff is bad.  And I don’t care for the gameplay.  But it’s not all bad.
  • So far now way to boos yourself with money in any way, Intrepid have been quite clear about this :3

Understandable, I think they could fix that by providing free xp pots or loyalty pots per day instead of cash.
  • They could, but free/accelerated exp is usually used in p2w titles to drive sales of those products. In a sub only game, things that let people get to "endgame" faster only increase the chance that the person will become bored and unsub. They have said before they are trying to find that elusive balance where the middle levels, for example 30-40 proceed at a good pace without the bogging down most games get.
  • They could, but free/accelerated exp is usually used in p2w titles to drive sales of those products. In a sub only game, things that let people get to "endgame" faster only increase the chance that the person will become bored and unsub. They have said before they are trying to find that elusive balance where the middle levels, for example 30-40 proceed at a good pace without the bogging down most games get.
    Yeah, an MMO more than anything should be about the journey, not the destination.  It shouldn’t be about getting to the end game as fast as possible so that you can “really” play the game.  But that’s how some MMOs are.  The game should make the process fun, engaging, and exciting.  If it doesn’t then it is pretty empty of real content.

One way to make leveling alts more engaging and less of a chore is by giving you multiple ways to do it.  Pick different paths, have different storylines, maybe have different ways to level (your main levels up through questing, a second gets experience from crafting, a third does pure PvP).  Leveling up an alt should be fun an exciting, not an obstacle you want to skip past.
  • Steven has already stated numerous times, cash shop is cosmetic skins or vanity items only for in game items.