Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

My opinion on raid loot/gear rolls

2»

Comments

• Options
    In some game I played the Need vs Greed roll was helped by if the item could only be used by certain classes then only those classes in the group could roll Need while all other classes had that option greyed out and could only roll Greed.  If no classes were in the group for that particular class item then everyone only got the Greed option.  I think this would help a lot.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    In some game I played the Need vs Greed roll was helped by if the item could only be used by certain classes then only those classes in the group could roll Need while all other classes had that option greyed out and could only roll Greed.  If no classes were in the group for that particular class item then everyone only got the Greed option.  I think this would help a lot.
    WoW does this and it seems to smooth things out somewhat in PUGs.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Ya I don't think ashes will have this mechanic  where the roll is enabled for certain classes specific to the dropped gear, maybe for crafters but that's it. And I'm also concerned for some people rolling greed just to sell items versus someone who was actually going to use it.
  • Options
    Valerian said:
    T-Elf said:
    Ya I don't think ashes will have this mechanic  where the roll is enabled for certain classes specific to the dropped gear, maybe for crafters but that's it. And I'm also concerned for some people rolling greed just to sell items versus someone who was actually going to use it.
    Everyone's going to use it, even if it's to sell it; thus the GREED roll.
  • Options
    T-Elf said:
    Valerian said:
    T-Elf said:
    Everyone's going to use it, even if it's to sell it; thus the GREED roll.
    Well they shouldn't, so it's not a good mechanic. Hope Steven reconsiders...
  • Options
    Personally hoping for a master loot option or round robin. The need/greed system is outdated and with every class being able to use most/all items it doesn't fit well.

I saw someone mention not having the boss drop a chest piece because why would a dragon have a leather chest piece that can fit a humanoid I could get behind that 100%. Have material dropped that can be refined (or turned into an NPC) to make the item. Though that eliminates a lot of RNG as for what could possibly drop. 
  • Options
    Don't forget Dragon Hoards, they like to accumulate all that stuff.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Personally hoping for a master loot option or round robin. The need/greed system is outdated and with every class being able to use most/all items it doesn't fit well.

I saw someone mention not having the boss drop a chest piece because why would a dragon have a leather chest piece that can fit a humanoid I could get behind that 100%. Have material dropped that can be refined (or turned into an NPC) to make the item. Though that eliminates a lot of RNG as for what could possibly drop. 
    I will go dig up the quotes if you need me to, but master looter and round robin are already planned as loot options, along with an option for a highest bidder per piece system. The leader of the group will choose type of loot option at creation of group and group members will be notified and can leave if they don't like the option being chosen. The leader will not be able to change the loot options halfway through a fight say from NoG to Master Looter. Could they have changed this in the year since they talked about it and their reasons behind it? Sure, but since Steven is all about options and player agency, I doubt it.
    On the why certain monsters would have certain loot for the "ruinz mah mershun" people. I have always looked at it like this. You are not looting the actual mob, you are looting the mob and the area around it. That wolf may not use or carry that sword, but it may have killed an adventurer last week and drug the body back closer to its den where you stumble upon it. For expediency the game doesn't show you gutting the animal and searching around every nearby bush and coming upon a severed hand with magic ring still attached.
  • Options

On the why certain monsters would have certain loot for the "ruinz mah mershun" people. I have always looked at it like this. You are not looting the actual mob, you are looting the mob and the area around it. That wolf may not use or carry that sword, but it may have killed an adventurer last week and drug the body back closer to its den where you stumble upon it. For expediency the game doesn't show you gutting the animal and searching around every nearby bush and coming upon a severed hand with magic ring still attached.
    This has always been my take on loot, that it's not just the creature itself.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018

I will go dig up the quotes if you need me to, but master looter and round robin are already planned as loot options, along with an option for a highest bidder per piece system. The leader of the group will choose type of loot option at creation of group and group members will be notified and can leave if they don't like the option being chosen. The leader will not be able to change the loot options halfway through a fight say from NoG to Master Looter. Could they have changed this in the year since they talked about it and their reasons behind it? Sure, but since Steven is all about options and player agency, I doubt it.
    Yo,  I'm digging this kind of loot system.  Its not like you need the crap all the time... Part of the grind.  If you want to pay more to get the drop,  then so be it.  In the end your probably going to be a little broker than me because your underestimation of your own economics. Pay your own way and your own race.