Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Disappointing gear design.

I was hoping that someone will finally stop making MMORPG's inspired by Asian gear design where characters look like they were teleported from a stage where Korean K-pop boys band is performing but I was fast to learn that this is exactly what Ashes of Creation is doing. 
One would think that after over two decades of RPG and MMORPG development someone there would get an idea to design gear which would look not only good but also would look practical (like Geralt's gear in Witcher 3) meaning no more ridiculous ultra clean gear which looks like it's a dress pretending to be a plated armour or even worse gear which was stolen from a  women's dresser posing as anti-magic... yeah, ok we know that you just want to look at your character butt.
What I was hoping for is a game with a beautiful and interesting world where gear is not only coherent with world design but also look practical. For example caster class which is actually shielded by pieces of various armours (chainmail, plate, skins) while whole armour does look like and feels like it has a weight. 
Instead what I see is game which literally stole whole dressing room from drag queen show X_X 
***(not like there is something wrong with DQ's it's just a bad style for fantasy MMORPG).*** 
At least RPG developers like CDRed understand gear design better than all of the MMORPG developers and maybe one day someone will finally get that MMORPG doesn't need lingerie, dresses and other nonsense.

Ps. Whoever designed that while/gold armour from PAX trailer was playing or watching too much of Warframe and their Prime sets.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    yea i got to admit i was disappointed  by the Asian inspired designs from the Pax video.

although i did see some decent designs from the inital footage, archers outfit from the pre alphas etc looked cool.
  • Also agree. Outfits are well detailed which I like, but look tight and impractical. I was hoping for a more gritty, dirty, realistic look. It also looks that the sparkly clean design will carry over to all the buildings and art in general. 
  • I'm working under the assumption that AoC is eventually going to have a large variety of designs to choose from. They did, after all, mention that each race will have its own aesthetic.

Rather than complaining about the look of the very limited options at the start of Alpha, we should be making suggestions as to what kind of designs we would like to see from the game at launch.

We could even include screenshots for clarity (and for the benefit of those who haven't played every game being mentioned).
    edited September 2018
    Nefelia said:
    I'm working under the assumption that AoC is eventually going to have a large variety of designs to choose from. They did, after all, mention that each race will have its own aesthetic.

Rather than complaining about the look of the very limited options at the start of Alpha, we should be making suggestions as to what kind of designs we would like to see from the game at launch.

We could even include screenshots for clarity (and for the benefit of those who haven't played every game being mentioned).
    So I'd strongly prefer realistic/gritty.. Something like this:

(Witcher 3)

(Dark Souls)

And definitely NOT clean/sparkly and asian/cartoony styled.. Something like this...
    (Black Desert Online)

(World of Warcraft)

• Black desert is the kind of outfits you would see in the red light district...
  • Black desert is the kind of outfits you would see in the red light district...
    I tend to like sexy outfits, but the BDO outfits shown above have a bit too much 'glam' to it.
    Beolupus said:

(Witcher 3)

(Dark Souls)

I can definitely get behind that, given that those are some rather realistic and good-looking outfits. I also appreciate that the great-sword from Dark Souls is not an over-the-top monstrosity we see in far too many games.

• Nefelia said:
    Black desert is the kind of outfits you would see in the red light district...
    I tend to like sexy outfits, but the BDO outfits shown above have a bit too much 'glam' to it.
    Beolupus said:

(Witcher 3)

(Dark Souls)

I can definitely get behind that, given that those are some rather realistic and good-looking outfits. I also appreciate that the great-sword from Dark Souls is not an over-the-top monstrosity we see in far too many games.

If the blade was twice as wide it would still be nice.

I also wanna leave a comment along the lines I dont like the armour designs.
    I understand that we are far from tge finished game, but it's good for players to give feedback and help devs in their designs.

What is not good is when people talk shit about the game which is still in alpha phase. That's not useful.
  • If the blade was twice as wide it would still be nice.
    As someone who swings a sword around for sport, I disagree. Extra weight needs a purpose greater than just looking bad-ass.
    But we've had this discussion in another topic.

What is not good is when people talk shit about the game which is still in alpha phase. That's not useful.

Yep, but this is the perfect opportunity to discuss the various art styles and how AoC can gain inspiration from various games. It seems we've already formed a tiny consensus against BDO's battle-hooker style and WoW's exaggerated style.

Kudos to Beolupus for bringing some substance to this topic. <3

• I fear their aim of everyone already starting out as a hero and the armor reflecting that, leaves behind (quote of OP:) coherent and practical design. When I'm looking at the leather base armor sets I don't see a single rogue's or ranger's armor. I see only armors of noblemen who would hit their knee on the very first tree when sneaking through the woods making them squeal like a baby and shouting for mommy :'
    These armors to me show no rawness, just nobleness.

Yet I'm staying optimistic for there's a lot of armors to come and hopefully some ways to tone it down by quite a bit or two.
  • So you have been shown 1 customisable style out of 1000s....and ashes has shite gear design ?
    OooooooooooooooK then!
    Backs out of forum room and quietly closes door......then locks them in.
    edited September 2018
    So you have been shown 1 customisable style out of 1000s....and ashes has shite gear design ?
    OooooooooooooooK then!
    The point of this discussing is simply to express that we don't like the current gear art direction based on limited amount we've seen, and maybe try to influence further direction. You're the only one overreacting here..
  • @gb1990gaming "If the blade was twice as wide it would still be nice." Trying to make Guts? :P
  • SaintJ said:
    Beolupus said:
    So you have been shown 1 customisable style out of 1000s....and ashes has shite gear design ?
    OooooooooooooooK then!
    The point of this discussing is simply to express that we don't like the current gear art direction based on limited amount we've seen, and maybe try to influence further direction. You're the only overreacting here..
    What about a slider like you had in bdo to see how armor sets would look when taken damage. What about a slide that actualy allows you to make your armor look as if it went through 10 years of combat.

Id say there will be something for everyone. If they wen’t your way youd have people complaining about how boring the sets are. There should be a good medium where everyone can find something they enjoy. While still looking realistic in the games setting.
    I'd like that variety, but it'd be quite a task to implement. Although I don't care for BDO's style, their graphical character fidelity is unprecedented.
  • Beolupus said:
    OooooooooooooooK then!
    The point of this discussing is simply to express that we don't like the current gear art direction based on limited amount we've seen, and maybe try to influence further direction. You're the only overreacting here..
    Sorry if i'm wrong but it seems to be discussion based off only one of the races styles that happened to be prevalent in the most recent showing of the game. As @SaintJ posted, each race has it's own style.

I'm unsure if this discussion is about everything we have seen or only the elf style we saw and if knowledge of the different racial styles would make the op feel better about the elf look.
  • Beolupus said:
    OooooooooooooooK then!
    Sorry if i'm wrong but it seems to be discussion based off only one of the races styles that happened to be prevalent in the most recent showing of the game. As @SaintJ posted, each race has it's own style.

I'm unsure if this discussion is about everything we have seen or only the elf style we saw and if knowledge of the different racial styles would make the op feel better about the elf look.
    I remember them saying that race would have specific styles, but I may have missed where they specified that all the armor in the recent combat videos was just elf specific?

Going off of the Pax West Panel: https://youtu.be/RNS-c7lukb4?t=903
    I was somewhat concerned that what they we wearing was the "noobie" gear (Steven's comment that new players should already feel like heroes), and suggested the general art style.
  • I’m just glad they aren’t BDO’s Battle Hooker designs.
  • I was a little worried about the scoliosis the character model had going on, as well as the armor design. I'm just hopeful that those issues with the model posture will still be adjusted and that the armor is just one race/class starter gear or something. He look hunchback.

• Beolupus said:
    Beolupus said:
    OooooooooooooooK then!

I remember them saying that race would have specific styles, but I may have missed where they specified that all the armor in the recent combat videos was just elf specific?

Going off of the Pax West Panel: https://youtu.be/RNS-c7lukb4?t=903
    I was somewhat concerned that what they we wearing was the "noobie" gear (Steven's comment that new players should already feel like heroes), and suggested the general art style.
    https://youtu.be/vmionSoHtak?t=22m33s This is the armor that is most prevalent in the trailer, can't find where they talk about the other set we see. They also specify that it is not noobie gear and show a few instances of newbie gear in that video.
  • Beolupus said:
    @gb1990gaming "If the blade was twice as wide it would still be nice." Trying to make Guts? :P
    It's... for a friend of mine...
  • Beolupus said:
    OooooooooooooooK then!
    The point of this discussing is simply to express that we don't like the current gear art direction based on limited amount we've seen, and maybe try to influence further direction. You're the only one overreacting here..
    The point of the discussion is criticism of all armour based on one piece of gear art out of untold other styles we havent even seen (and some we have that bear no relation).
    /shrugs

Feel free to criticize this particular style. I just dont see why the need to focus on one type when there will be myriad others for you to choose from.

You are the one that started with 'asian inspired gear' will be the basis of all armour as intrepids design direction. You start with hyperbole and accuse me over reacting ?

And perhaps you should use YOU dont like the art direction rather than a WE.
    You are taking assumption to new extremes, like this thread. ;)
  • Beolupus said:
    @gb1990gaming "If the blade was twice as wide it would still be nice." Trying to make Guts? :P
    lmao. Yeah but like they said, it has to have a purpose for having the extra weight. Guts purposefully went with heavier and heavier weapons for the ability to go right through armor. He was strong enough to be able to swing around a claymore like it was a shortsword. In practice this is incredibly risky, in a video game most people wouldn't mind getting a weighted version of a weapon (higher damage with lower swinging speed (same dps)) because most abilities scale off of weapon damage.
    edited September 2018
    Beolupus said:
    Nefelia said:
    I'm working under the assumption that AoC is eventually going to have a large variety of designs to choose from. They did, after all, mention that each race will have its own aesthetic.

(Witcher 3)

(Dark Souls)

And definitely NOT clean/sparkly and asian/cartoony styled.. Something like this...
    (Black Desert Online)

(World of Warcraft)

I'll put this here since we're using Witcher 3 as an example of what our hopes for outfit/armor skins are and for the ladies you only included an extreme with BDO.

Personally, I believe the game should have a wide variety of armor/outfit skins for people to choose from, and that includes things that are sexy. While that may not be your cup of tea, there will be other people who envision their character a different way than you envision yours and that is part of the fun of playing a social game in a world full of different people. When the armor is all very conservative and realistic, things get very boring very fast, especially when you're playing an MMO among thousands of of other players and it very quickly looks like nobody has any individuality or visual representation of personality or self expression. If we want heavy armor to be very protective looking that's one thing, but I don't agree with severely restricting medium/light armor to the same concept, as that is unrealistic anyway.
  • @Tatiana   I don't mind the armor on Yennefer. I'm all for armor variety. Realistic armor doesn't necessarily need to mean armor of real medieval history. More so, I just want the outfits to look functional in a fantasy space, and not all flash. The distinction is evident between the BDO extreme and the Yennefer pic you posted.

Yes, immersion is important in this aspect for me but bear in mind that we are talking about immersion within Verra which is high fantasy. So there is certainly many styles which can be expressive and immersive at the same time.
  • From a livestream the deva say that as new players we are already hero’s from the homeland and returning to Verra to rebuild. So it is plausible that the world we are coming from has a culture for elegant/clean armor. 

Based on the amount of customizable gear options, I am sure there are going to many ways to dial in the type of look any player wants. 
  • I want to see more items like the necro cloak last year 

• Personally i find the Teddy Bear mount to be much more sensorily assaulting and immersion breaking than any armors i have yet seen even remotely attached to the game. But some people like that level of cutesyness. I dont. But i am not willing to say no one should be able to ride the Stupid Teddy Ruxpin mount.
     I am really hoping that IS goes all out on armor and weapon designs. Tiny chain bikinis and big plate coffins. Gracefuls silk kimonos all the way to Brocade dinner jackets.
    Of course i am also hoping for a seperate appearance Paperdoll so we can look the way we want regardless of the armor we have to use.
  • Xontian said:
    Personally i find the Teddy Bear mount to be much more sensorily assaulting and immersion breaking than any armors i have yet seen even remotely attached to the game. But some people like that level of cutesyness. I dont. But i am not willing to say no one should be able to ride the Stupid Teddy Ruxpin mount.
     I am really hoping that IS goes all out on armor and weapon designs. Tiny chain bikinis and big plate coffins. Gracefuls silk kimonos all the way to Brocade dinner jackets.
    Of course i am also hoping for a seperate appearance Paperdoll so we can look the way we want regardless of the armor we have to use.
    I’d prefer that there be no mounts like this or gear that looks like bunny ears or space suits, etc.  TERA Online is really hard to enjoy when I can’t tell if the game is set in a legit fantasy world or a wacky anything-goes cartoon.  If they have some very rare stuff available to KS only that we almost never have to see that’s fine.  But why waste your time making a compelling backstory and immersive world that you can be a part of and influence yourself then leave a huge teddy-bear shaped turd in for the lulz?

If these little “joke” items are introduced with an attempt to make them fit lore (a mad sorcerer animated a stuffed bear to mock the gods, an artificer created one to please his daughter) I could overlook it.  Again, as long as they’re not all over the place like some trashy Asian MMO.
  • We could just all run around naked......
  • Crymoar said:
    We could just all run around naked......
    That’s ASHES of Creation.  “Ashes” with an “h” not a second “s”.
  • Crymoar said:
    We could just all run around naked......