Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Archetype special skills?

I was reading something about solid trees and snakes hmm and  @UnknownSystemError stated that some classes will be able to climb and shit.. This got me thinking (I know rare) We've seen this in that epic hardcore parkour Rogue montage. We've also seen Mages dispel magical barriers and the like. And Rangers uncover tracks for the grp to follow/find hidden quests. 

I haven't heard or seen anything on what a Fighter will bring to the grp (apart from that sick D). As melee DPS are often seen as a selfish class it would be cool to get something useful to the entire grp not just buffs and stuff, something environmental.

Anyone got any info on this yet? Thoughts? 

Edit: Any ideas for the remaining Archetypes? :) Like cleric cleansing corruption..? 

Comments

• Someones got to bring the cookies.. :)
  • Shoklen said:
    Someones got to bring the cookies.. :)
    No no...with it being melee dps I think they will have to step up with pie or cake. 
  • Maybe a Fighter can do “feats of strength” to break down doors, lift portcullises, rip bars from portals, etc.
  • Atama said:
    Maybe a Fighter can do “feats of strength” to break down doors, lift portcullises, rip bars from portals, etc.
    This would work for a hulking barbarian type defiantly but what about a more agile leaner character?  
  • Atama said:
    Maybe a Fighter can do “feats of strength” to break down doors, lift portcullises, rip bars from portals, etc.
    This would work for a hulking barbarian type defiantly but what about a more agile leaner character?  
    Feats of weakness? ;)

I was thinking a Fighter’s strength was magically enhanced anyway so a tiny schoolgirl-looking character could lift a boulder.
  • Atama said:
    Atama said:
    Feats of weakness? ;)

I was thinking a Fighter’s strength was magically enhanced anyway so a tiny schoolgirl-looking character could lift a boulder.
    Haha! Yea I'd go with that - not that i'll be rolling a tiny schoolgirl looking character :D
  • Some speculative ideas...

Fighter: physical adventure skills (cutting down tree to make bridge, repelling with a rope down a cliff side, zip line?)

Tank: breaking through barriers (similar to fighter, but things that require more brute strength)

Mage: moves structures with magic

Rogue: detects traps and climbing ability

Ranger: tracks enemies, and maybe some sort of mini map detection of gatherable
    resources

Summoner: summon decoys as a distraction, or maybe make a doppleganger to get past certain NPC's

Cleric: cleanse curses and cures poison

Bard: brings snacks and sings songs around the camp fire at the end of the day...
  • Mage should be able to do anything with magic to be honest......
    Mage casts a spell.

Rogue makes a sandwich.

Cleric takes a nap.
  • Atama said:
    Mage should be able to do anything with magic to be honest......
    Mage casts a spell.

Rogue makes a sandwich.

Cleric takes a nap.
    Pfffffff magic can conjure sandwiches and make you go to sleep or completely ignore it :3
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    AutumnLeaf said:
    Atama said:
    AutumnLeaf said:
    Mage should be able to do anything with magic to be honest......
    Mage casts a spell.

Rogue makes a sandwich.

Cleric takes a nap.
    Pfffffff magic can conjure sandwiches and make you go to sleep or completely ignore it :3
    Rogue don’t trust no magic sandwich!

(Sandwitch?)
    Anything? Are you a Mage main?  :p
    Anything? Are you a Mage main?  :p
    No since most games make magic really shit....I can only dream, but well Ashes is going in a very tasty direction right now :3
  • I like the notion of fighters being able to perform feats like forcing access ways open/closed, maybe knocking enemies off charge paths (body checking), some unarmed combat abilities that matter. Physical stuff like that already listed above. Even if mages can do similar stuff with spells.
  • OR as a fighter, go the Vindictus route and allow us a QTE to have a boxing match with a boss for massive damage, or full on kratos mode, FUCK YEA!
  • Fighters with AoE defense to protect other party members.
    Poor rouges steal your nickers without you knowing it.
  • Real question is what is bards skill? Sit around and "motivate" others?
  • Fighters with AoE defense to protect other party members.
    Sounds more like a Tank thing.

And I think these are intended to be out-of-combat utility skills.  The ones we’ve been shown so far are like that.  In-combat party protection is already a thing.
  • Sonicfani said:
    Real question is what is bards skill? Sit around and "motivate" others?
    In many versions of D&D, Bards are masters of ancient stories and can tell you “lore” about ancient places and artifacts, maybe something like that could come into play.

Or like other MMOs they could give an out-of-combat travel speed buff.
  • I just want real Bards.. None of this 'magic mage' but with music stuff; songs not spells.. EQ1 did bards right with songs.. Now I'm not saying they couldn't' be improved upon, I'm all for improvements.. but they need actual songs with instruments.
    edited September 2018
    Shoklen said:
    I just want real Bards.. None of this 'magic mage' but with music stuff; songs not spells.. EQ1 did bards right with songs.. Now I'm not saying they couldn't' be improved upon, I'm all for improvements.. but they need actual songs with instruments.
    What game has “magic mage with music”?  The only games I’ve played with bards (or the equivalent) are EQ, DAoC, and LotRO.  And those most definitely involved playing actual instruments.  I’m just wondering which games have them (I’m not doubting you, I just haven’t played them).

I really liked the Minstrels of LotRO, though since you had “morale” in place of health they were the “healing” class which was weird. But they definitely lived up to the “musician that inspires people” idea.

Of course all Bards are magic, because if you were literally just some idiot with a lute and a grin you’d be unable to actually fight anything (okay, maybe you’d win one fight but now your lute is broken).
    edited September 2018
    Atama said:
    Shoklen said:
    I just want real Bards.. None of this 'magic mage' but with music stuff; songs not spells.. EQ1 did bards right with songs.. Now I'm not saying they couldn't' be improved upon, I'm all for improvements.. but they need actual songs with instruments.
    What game has “magic mage with music”?  The only games I’ve played with bards (or the equivalent) are EQ, DAoC, and LotRO.  And those most definitely involved playing actual instruments.  I’m just wondering which games have them (I’m not doubting you, I just haven’t played them).
    Check out the Bards in EQ2... As far as feeling like the 'Bards' we know and love with songs and instruments, they have none of it.. Buffs like any other class but with music notes as the buff is being cast.. Abilities in combat, you 'throw' music notes at the target. Instruments.. well.. there are none you can hold (perhaps a cosmetic) and a few weapons that look like instruments, but they are indeed weapons with skins..
    Those that played EQ1 bards came over to EQ2 when launched and were like, WTF?!
  • I will play a fighter and I would gladly give up a special ability in order for some other classes to find their unique role in the group, provided that fighters contribute in the group in a traditional way (solid dps)

• Shoklen said:
    Atama said:
    Shoklen said:
    Check out the Bards in EQ2... As far as feeling like the 'Bards' we know and love with songs and instruments, they have none of it.. Buffs like any other class but with music notes as the buff is being cast.. Abilities in combat, you 'throw' music notes at the target. Instruments.. well.. there are none you can hold (perhaps a cosmetic) and a few weapons that look like instruments, but they are indeed weapons with skins..
    Those that played EQ1 bards came over to EQ2 when launched and were like, WTF?!
    Ah, when I played EQ2 (which was a long time ago) I never made a bard.  I did have one in EQ1 but he was a mule/enchanter alt mostly, which I only made for the travel buffs.  I’m glad I never bothered with one in EQ2.

I assume in AoC a bard will actually be a bard but I don’t think we’ve seen much on that class yet and the test servers haven’t had them either so we’ll see.  I’m encouraged by the fact that mages carry books and orbs, so they already have shown a willingness to allow non-weapon “weapons” in the game.
  • OR as a fighter, go the Vindictus route and allow us a QTE to have a boxing match with a boss for massive damage, or full on kratos mode, FUCK YEA!
    This would be awesome but is doubtful and would make other classes very jealous 😊
  • I will play a fighter and I would gladly give up a special ability in order for some other classes to find their unique role in the group, provided that fighters contribute in the group in a traditional way (solid dps)

I did think the same as you but after a bit I thought it would add to the rpg and group elements if all classes could bring something to the table ( excluding obvious class mechanics )