Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Blocking dodging. Armors and Weapons.

Should a mage block dmg with a wooden staff? Or should he create a barrier?
Should a character block dmg with daggers? Or blocking should apply only to heavier weapons.
Should a heavy armor make dodging more difficult in terms of resource cost, range, speed?

Comments

• Options
    Is blocking at all even really confirmed? I didn't see any in the combat videos.

Speculatively, I'd think a character should be able to block with whatever they have in their hands but it would be more or less effective depending on what weapon is equipped.

As is typical of RPG's, I think heavy armor should effect stamina cost, speed, and dodge range. But is it that important? Not really, and its a just another variable in trying balance things.
  • Options
    Barrier, I mean technically a barrier should be capable of becoming nigh indestructible... well I guess I won't get the omnipotent magic in the game but still, a mage should block with a barrier :3
  • Options
    Barrier, I mean technically a barrier should be capable of becoming nigh indestructible... well I guess I won't get the omnipotent magic in the game but still, a mage should block with a barrier :3
    Heh, back to Stamina system.
  • Options
    Heh, back to Stamina system.
    Sorry that all the non-mages get sweaty and waste their strength to do something meaningful.
  • Options
    Why cant magic be channeling inner power and thus exhausting? :disappointed:

On topic
    I think Beolopus has same standing as me.
    Robust wep=better block
    same with dagger because theyre efficient with parrying
    Blocking should apply to all classes and heavy gear would slow u down.

Risk vs Reward ratio will be hard to balance no doubt.
  • Options
    Mage should be able to block/dodge attacks with dif. equipment, BUT there is some factor of effectiveness:
    -equipment type
    -character spec.(what kind of mage? specializations? passives? matrial artist? mb its combat staff master and staff for him more eff. than shields or duals etc...)
    +buffs
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Beolupus said:
    Is blocking at all even really confirmed? I didn't see any in the combat videos.

Speculatively, I'd think a character should be able to block with whatever they have in their hands but it would be more or less effective depending on what weapon is equipped.

As is typical of RPG's, I think heavy armor should effect stamina cost, speed, and dodge range. But is it that important? Not really, and its a just another variable in trying balance things.
    @Beolupus You can block with shield and sword.
  • Options
    Generally you block with Shields and parry with weapons. Different shields block better than others as well as different weapons parry better. I can see quarterstaves being one of the few weapons that are very effective at blocking and parrying. They are actually a damn effective all round weapon thoouhg you wouldnt think so in fantasy games where blades and blunts get all the glory.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Both hands should be used in tandem to determine block amount vs damage amount.
    But what if you are too feeble to block/hit efficiently ?
    What if you are full of magicka with no stamina at all ?
    What if you have a massive energy pool for burst damage but have to wait ages for your energy to charge ?
    What if you have minor energy pool for light damage, but it replenishes rapidly for multiple hits in quick succession ?
    Removing weapon/block ability from charcter build makes no sense.
    The question then becomes which has the greatest influence....the build, the armour or the attack/block ability of the tools ?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Blocking and parrying would deffinately contribute alot to the game when it comes to melee. A skilled player would know when to time a block/parry against someone who just spams attacks - important skill mechanic.

The parry could be time limited and the block with shield could be balanced by having HP on the shield (as it already is i think?).