Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How much can a spell/physical ability be customized?

I am curious if, with my character, I will be able to modify some aspects of a spell or physical ability: for example its mana/strength cost, damage, aoe range, spell size, cooldown, projectile/weapon speed, casting speed. I know that this kind of customization may break the game, but maybe there can be a system to balance it. What do you think? I still don't know the fight mechanics, but I would like something deep and interesting :)

Comments

• The only confirmed customizations to spells or abilities are through the archetype system and cosmetic effects. While certain augments may modify a spell, spell crafting to largely affect numbers has not been mentioned as a thing. Most likely because of the balance issues you mentioned and the temptation/pigeonholing that would occur when people realized that they could one shot people by picking Mage/Mage and modifying Lightning Bolt so that it one shot tanks as an extreme example. Part of the Kickstarter stretch goals that were achieved was Exclusive Skill FX Set that they will all get, so you can bet that there will be such cosmetic options available in the game, and of course the store.
  • I am by far no expert but I believe the skill system and the choices you make for  secondary skills will do that in many ways. 

From the Ashes of Creation wiki:  https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes

Primary skills (class abilities) are based on a player's archetype.[2] Players can personalize their primary skills with augmentation from a secondary archetype (secondary class).[2][11]

• Choosing the same primary and secondary archetype increases focus on that archetype.[12]
    • Each skill in the primary tree has a minimum of four augment choices from the secondary tree.[13]
    • In terms of skill progression, players can choose to go "wide" and get a number of different abilities, or go "deep" into a few specific abilities.[14]
    • Changing the augmentations on your skills will require you to go to a NPC in a Village nodeor higher.[15]
    • Active skills could look totally different after an augment gets applied.[16]
  • I agree with all of you, I like the first and secondary class system and I know it is a delicate subject, but, speaking hypothetically, what if pieces of armor can modify the variables (damage, casting speed, aoe range, ecc..) of one spell/physical ability that you prefer? 
    For example an helm can give to only one spell you decide to boost up: +10 mana cost, -1 sec casting speed, +30 damage. In this case the spell costs more, it is more slower to launch, but does a lot more damage.
    Maybe this kind of system is too complex, but I don't like armor which improves the statistics of all spells, like -1,5 sec casting speed, +20 spell power; for me in this way there could be many broken spells and so the game could be lesser competitive. I think it would be great to have the choice of which spell to master and which one less.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Well we dont know if armour types and weapon types come with their own skill sets, which are separate from class skills rather than augments.

Personally I find it difficult to comprehend how two things can be functionally different without modifying different numbers. We just dont know what numbers exist, what they do, and what objects or actions modify them. YET!

We have been told there will be power amplification through vertical progression and tool diversity through horizontal progression. That variety demands many numbers that can be modified. The number of adjustable variables puts limits on diversity.
  • There can never be too many magic customization options I mean it's not like the world is full of special snowflakes who would use gravity to pull a bunch of meteorites onto the surface of the world.
  • You are right Rune_Relic, we still don't know much. I think that pvp-battleground will clarify a bit more on the potential and deepness of fight mechanics. From the trailer it looks very, very well done. I can not wait anymore! :smile:

AutumnLeaf you said it right  :D , LOL.