Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ashes of Chemistry

Ok being a fan of botw, i have to ask this. Don't flame me please. Will fire be able to burn away part of the natural environment if it comes in contact with it? I mean if a mage casts fireball and misses the target but fireball hits a tree, will the tree catch fire and turn black? i think it'd make for amazing immersion effects.

Same thing with water. if someone uses lighting, and it hits a puddle, will targets near the area get zapped as well (friendly fire included).

If there is a caravan transporting flour, and someones summons a meteor and all the flour tips out in a cloud of flour dust, will any form of fire ignite the dust and cause a miniature explosion?

Just small things and natural interactions that i would love to see really. I could make an extremely long list but i think most of you understand what im trying to say.

Comments

• I have mixed feelings on this. It's a really cool effect that can add to immersion (which I'm all for), but I would worry about the consequences of long lasting effects or friendly fire. 

For example, if a stray fireball hitting a tree singes a tree, how long does that last. The immersionist in me would want it to be permanent, but then it wouldn't take long to have a whole forest of singed trees. If the stray lightning bolt electrocutes a puddle, it would, of course, seem logical for friendly fire to be a issue there, but if it is there, why not with all ground targets? And what happens if someone dies to it? Will you get corruption even if it was accidental?

I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I don't think it's a bad idea, and I love the immersion aspect of it. It just has a lot of potential issues that I would want to make sure were considered ahead of time.
  • I have mixed feelings on this. It's a really cool effect that can add to immersion (which I'm all for), but I would worry about the consequences of long lasting effects or friendly fire. 

For example, if a stray fireball hitting a tree singes a tree, how long does that last. The immersionist in me would want it to be permanent, but then it wouldn't take long to have a whole forest of singed trees. If the stray lightning bolt electrocutes a puddle, it would, of course, seem logical for friendly fire to be a issue there, but if it is there, why not with all ground targets? And what happens if someone dies to it? Will you get corruption even if it was accidental?

I'm sure you see where I'm going with this. I don't think it's a bad idea, and I love the immersion aspect of it. It just has a lot of potential issues that I would want to make sure were considered ahead of time.
    I certainly see the issues it could have in being a potential workaround of corruption. For how long it takes for a tree to burn, i'd say 5-10 seconds like it does in botw. and make it a single tree fire only, not a contagious fire. 

It certainly is difficult to implement, but one can hope it may be part of an expansion after the game has already come out.
  • Cool thoughts, but it would be hard to implement, especially with changing seasons which have been confirmed. Like how would lightning bolt work in the rain, snow, on ice, etc. I think it opens a door to a lot of complications.

Concerning friendly fire, I generally am in favor but in 100 vs 100+ battlegrounds, this would just be a mess.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    From looking at the overall visuals of the game, trees burning would lean more to realistic rather than immersive. I'd say the graphics aren't totally realistic for something like this to be on the table for them. Maybe something like trees proposteraly blowing themselves high-sky from a stray artillery round wouldn't be too far off. But as far as Far Cry environment effects, I doubt it...
    *edit* Then again they do have their glorious Potion Launchers...oh JOY!
  • Resources * time / player usability = polish showing up at a later time
  • Yes let us burn down everything 

edited September 2018
    They would need to keep a status effect on every single deformable item used in the game and the coding to figure out when to turn stuff off/on.
    Maybe you could do a bulk status system, but individually ?.....I think you would just cripple the servers trying to track the current live status of millions of objects as well as the players and NPCs.

You could do bulk effects like, winter/summer/autumn/spring colours/textures which happens once every month I think. Trying to do that numerous times per second would be a different matter. Even weather changes could be a problem if too frequent.

I have yet too see how the server will cope with destructible building with 100s of events  per second happening in combat. I mean damn its impressive stuff....if its practical.
  • It is a cool feature, but not something that should be in an MMORPG.

I don't think players are mature enough to have such a feature. Within 10 minutes after launch, the game world will be turned into a wasteland.
  • FliP said:
    It is a cool feature, but not something that should be in an MMORPG.

I don't think players are mature enough to have such a feature. Within 10 minutes after launch, the game world will be turned into a wasteland.
    Turn it on for the last week of beta before final server wipes.
  • Atama said:
    FliP said:

Oh I want this. lets burn down the world and build a new one from the ashes ^^
  • nagash said:
    Atama said:
    FliP said:

Well in that case the game would certainly live up to its name
  • nagash said:
    Atama said:
    FliP said:

Well in that case the game would certainly live up to its name
    Right ^^
  • You must really want forests to cease existing ? we saw meteorite spells I think even if you hit somebody right on top of their head it would cause a massive fire regardless, or well blow up everything before the fire even has a chance to start.
  • You must really want forests to cease existing ? we saw meteorite spells I think even if you hit somebody right on top of their head it would cause a massive fire regardless, or well blow up everything before the fire even has a chance to start.
    Yes yes i'm secretly a real estate agent and i want to burn all the trees down so i can conduct business and create an entire server made of freeholds and get super rich.
    Yes yes i'm secretly a real estate agent and i want to burn all the trees down so i can conduct business and create an entire server made of freeholds and get super rich.
    That's a great idea
  • Unfortunately, zone of influence will prevent you in that. But otherwise nice idea.
    Oooooooooohhhhhhh well you will be getting a lot of elves after you xD
    Character name: Rex DeForrest
    edited September 2018
    Makes you wonder actually. London was burned down by fire...as was rome....and no doubt many others. Disease can run rife through a city and decimate it. Perhaps natural disasters could be instigated if you dont act with care. Provided the mechanics are there to deal with it.
    :thinking:

What if you had to have a certain proportion of medics or guards or firemen ?
  • Makes you wonder actually. London was burned down by fire...as was rome....and no doubt many others. Disease can run rife through a city and decimate it. Perhaps natural disasters could be instigated if you dont act with care. Provided the mechanics are there to deal with it.
    :thinking:

What if you had to have a certain proportion of medics or guards or firemen ?
    I like the idea. Instead of some legendary monster threatening the server we could have a plague. or something that doesn't involve fighting but mass cooperation
  • Do like city simulation games.  Have random thunderstorms, earthquakes, tornadoes, and so forth.
  • Atama said:
    Do like city simulation games.  Have random thunderstorms, earthquakes, tornadoes, and so forth.
    I see you also play simcity ^^