Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Auto loot and Loot Dispersion

Will there be an ability to auto loot mobs while farming or doing quest or will we have to pick up off mobs?  Loot Dispersion in groups how will that go? does everyone get same lot or is it a rolling or random system?

Comments

• We don't have any firm information at this point in time.
  • Nothing about this so far, I hope there will be some kind of method to auto-loot though.
  • I hope they stay as far away from loot pets as possible.
    If they decide to implement auto-loot I hope it will be auto-loot when walking by which u can turn off/on.
    No info on this from team yet.

I'm quite sure roll-to-loot was confirmed for dungeons.
    I have horrible memory though :frowning: so I might remember it wrong.

• Auto loot that automatically grabs stuff in proximity like WoW would be good.

TERA Online-style loot pets are garbage and are just a way to squeeze money out of people tired of running around playing “loot maid”.

AoC should go for the former for player convenience, not the latter which is just irritating.
  • Hopefully you have to breakdown your slain enemies via skinning and gutting to loot their corpse. But not before saying a prayer for your kill Avatar style. /s

In all seriousness, based on everything we've heard thus far I would assume group loot would be individual rolls. I would also assume no auto-loot, but likely be able to loot everything in an small area in one sequence such that you don't have to loot every individual mob when killing a pack.

These dev's would never do that pet loot garbage.
  • I hope mobs won't drop piles of garbage, which can be only sold to npc vendor like in wow. We should loot things less frequently, but everything we find should be useful for crafting and game economy.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Autolooting is something that is workable with an exclusively PVE MMO. However, autoloot will present some issues with MMOs that are open-world PVP in nature, particularly player loot drops. People will be competing for the drops from mobs and freshly slain players (i.e. murderers). Autoloot will present a series of issues with said competition.

In general, I feel that autoloot panders to the modern MMO ethos. This is not a good thing in my opinion. We want to make MMO's great again, we don't want to repeat the sins of newer MMOs where everything is spoon-fed and streamlined. Auto actions of any type can be a slippery slope. Where does one draw the line for automated actions?

• I don't see Auto Loot as a slippery slope; I see it as a way to quickly gather up items to be able to continue playing.   If you are grouped it helps the group move on.  I really hate when one wants to loot and the group just keeps going.  I don't envision wanting anything else automated at this point in time.
  • LithiusV said:
    Autolooting is something that is workable with an exclusively PVE MMO. However, autoloot will present some issues with MMOs that are open-world PVP in nature, particularly player loot drops. People will be competing for the drops from mobs and freshly slain players (i.e. murderers). Autoloot will present a series of issues with said competition.
    Holy crap I never thought of a situation where you have a disagreement about loot in a party so you just flat-out PvP your party member.  Is that possible?  I’m not sure if that’d be a bad thing or awesome.  Probably bad, I could see a player try to extort others into giving him the best loot.
  • Atama said:
    LithiusV said:
    Holy crap I never thought of a situation where you have a disagreement about loot in a party so you just flat-out PvP your party member.  Is that possible?  I’m not sure if that’d be a bad thing or awesome.  Probably bad, I could see a player try to extort others into giving him the best loot.

Even if they dropped group so they could flag on someone, they wouldn't be able to loot the item from their corpse since items only drop from high corruption level players, who you most likely can't group with anyway since the system considers them "mobs" from previous statements. Anyone you group with most likely will be someone who is at least marginally known in your area of normal play, since there is no groupfinder and fast travel, people will gain a local reputation over time. People who act like assholes will get known real quick in their local areas and people just won't include them in groups. So while some asshat may find a workaround to attack someone, they still won't get the item, and they will just accrue hate in their local community. Now we all know that there will be some edgelords who thrive on stuff like that, but they won't stick around long, because the mechanics that allow them to be twats constantly just won't be present.
  • I REALLY hope there is something in game for looting.  Having to manually pick up loot is such a BS mechanic and takes away from the "action" style game play. Even if its pets like BDO, or some "Arcane Stone of Vacuum" that would be OK.

It's a fact human beings hate bending over to always pick up stuff...hell, we make devices to do that for us ;)
  • Coming from BDO, loot pets are awful and it is required to have 4 pets to be efficient and not waste massive time picking stuff up.  I do hope that they implement and auto loot system where you can choose what types of drops to pick up.
  • Personally, I prefer the manual AoE loot (like current WoW solo looting or pre-mastery GW2 interact looting), but really, as long as I can receive my loot, I'm not overly concerned about the method used.

I wasn't a fan of the looting in BDO, but that was more due to the money you had to put into the pets than it was to the pets doing the looting, so I'm not really worried about that issue in this game.
  • About looting and inventory, I would love to have the opportunity to send items directly to the bank like in Guild Wars 2, even it makes less sense here.
  • We have confirmation that there won't be mailing of items in game. There is a warehousing mechanic planned for transferring items between alts. That system will have restrictions on it to stop people from trying to find workarounds to the caravan system and the risks vs reward of transporting goods/loot. Unless you attain high levels of corruption, gear isn't lootable, but gathered materials are. If they made an auto send to bank or way to quickly dump inventory, then one of their main pillars would start to wobble. (actually two, since pvp and economy have been said to be two of them, and theyre interconnected in this case.)