Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Spellmancer name change

So, I just found out about this game today, and I did what any normal gamer would do and researched it as much as I possibly could. One of the first things I looked at was the character classes. I think the system the game has in place looks very interesting, and there were many names that caught my attention. One of these for the wrong reason. Spellmancer just seems extremely redundant in my opinion. I think a better name for the mage summoner class combination would be something like Evoker.

Comments

• @tugowar made quite a few threads last year before we knew the class names and the community gave ideas and I there was someone who posted invoker, but when IS revealed the names we just accepted it and moved on. its unlikely they will change the names of classes but it is fun coming up with better names ^^.
  • First post on new account created today is a "I know better, so change to what I say!" post. This has been raged upon by various people over the months after the class name combos were released. The statement by Steven was that he took time to think through his reasoning for the names he chose. You don't like them, you can call yourself Captain Whizzletits the Grand Invoker, no one is going to stop you. It isn't like there is a big class icon hovering over your head that flashes Spellmancer---Spellmancer. People won't be able to guess your class combos at all until you actually cast something, since anyone can wear any armor or use any weapon with varying results.
  • A lot of people have different ideas, but that's just how it is, deal with it because I doubt Intrepid are going to be changing the class names at least for now.
  • I just wish a fighter/fighter combo was called a Fightwarrior.
  • Atama said:
    I just wish a fighter/fighter combo was called a Fightwarrior.
    or Totalwarrior! 
  • I want a left-handed character.  Sword in left hand and shield in the right.  I also want to wear gloves on  my  feet.  Perhaps we can get backwards facing saddles??
  • nagash said:
    Atama said:
    I just wish a fighter/fighter combo was called a Fightwarrior.
    or Totalwarrior! 
    why not just fighter squared? In fact all 'same/same' combos should be called same squared.
  • First post on new account created today is a "I know better, so change to what I say!" post. This has been raged upon by various people over the months after the class name combos were released. The statement by Steven was that he took time to think through his reasoning for the names he chose. You don't like them, you can call yourself Captain Whizzletits the Grand Invoker, no one is going to stop you. It isn't like there is a big class icon hovering over your head that flashes Spellmancer---Spellmancer. People won't be able to guess your class combos at all until you actually cast something, since anyone can wear any armor or use any weapon with varying results.
    Yeah having spell/mancer/shield in like 60% of the names, much thought.

fuckin doge meme.
  • The statement by Steven was that he took time to think through his reasoning for the names he chose.
    Spellmancer? Reasons? Think? Time?

Ah, I kid, sorta. I'm sure the guy has reasons, I mean he wrote that silly class name down and put it out to the masses. He isn't going to simply not defend himself if criticized about it. Creating something means showing the world something of yourself. He's allowed to defend it, even if it is simultaneously generic and redundant. Maybe he just had more important things to do, or it some corny inside joke of his?

But it is also important to remember that people will continue to object to it, and that is understandable. Just as it understandable for Steven and IS to defend and even promote it. Opinions man, we all got em. They're all valid.

But just because Steven defends it doesn't automatically mean it is a good name. I mean, Spellmancer? C'mon. You know that is ridiculous. The first time I saw it I thought someone was trolling me.

Steven does great things, we can all praise and worship him or whatever you do... but it is also okay to be honest when something comes down the pipes and is... questionable. What are these forums for if not to discuss our thoughts on the game? What'll make it better, what you love about it already, how excited you are, etc.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    I think the idea is the function of the class should be made obvious by the name.
    Evoker as mage summoner ? Subjective...which I guess is the point.
    Invoker (invocation) would have been more apt....but so could many others.

How you envision a mage summoner functioning may not be how steven envisions a mage summoner functioning. Generic tags are common in the table with soul/spell/shadow etc.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    How you envision a mage summoner functioning may not be how steven envisions a mage summoner functioning. Generic tags are common in the table with soul/spell/shadow etc.
    I agree fior the most part i just gotta say the word soul is only up there like twice as opposed to some of the others. . . i'd say blade/shadow/spell/ and mancer are the most overused phrases on the list just by doing a quick tally. followed by sword/shield/song/bow/and soul all of which are only used twice.
  • Spellsword is a common term In fantasy games and literature, it describes a person skilled in both magical and physical combat.  It’s a pun on the word “sellsword”, a term for a warrior-for-hire.