Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Racial Stats, With or Against?

With racial stats, I think most players are going to choose the race which works better with their class or combat, and there will be discrimination against those who choose otherwise.

Racial stats is a bad idea. What do you think?

Comments

• the more ways to customize a character and how it plays the better, in this game due to the skill augment systems different racial skills may be equally viable for any given base archetype depending on the sub archetype and other available augments such as religious/deity related or being part of a rogues guild
  • Racial progression and racial augments.
    The allure of this game is having many paths for us to progress.
  • If a crazy oversized orc has more strength and con than a more dexterous/agile skinny elf  then I'm OK with that.  Obviously an Orc is probably not going to be the best rouge assassin but is cut out for the role of fighter.  It sort of makes sense.  If the racial bonuses make sense, I'm all for them.  Also the facility for deception is cool. who would expect to be magicked to death by a huge axe wielding orc......
  • I'm all for racial stats but what Intrepid must guard against is that they become an issue at endgame. Let them compliment different builds but don't do a Zenimax where it eventually becomes a situation where the community believe "What? You're not a High Elf/Redguard and you want to be a DPS? On you're bike mate". There's no need to place a player in a position where he/she will need to choose between race or class. Make both genuinely viable at all tiers of progression.

• Ashes doesn't have an endgame.
    That's the whole point of including racial progression.
  • Dygz said:
    Ashes doesn't have an endgame.
    Yes, I misused the term, fair enough, but I assume you understood what I meant? There will be raids and collaborative content that you'd get excluded from in other MMOs unless you were a specific race and a specific role. My point is that'll be a mistake, in my opinion, in Ashes if they went down that road. Simples.
  • I'm always for making your decisions be worth something. The different races, just like classes, should Excel at certain aspects and lack in others. 
  • I would like to pic my race above having to min/max. However the ability to level up racial is pretty awesome so I am okay with how Intrepid is doing it. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Kratz said:
    Dygz said:
    Yes, I misused the term, fair enough, but I assume you understood what I meant? There will be raids and collaborative content that you'd get excluded from in other MMOs unless you were a specific race and a specific role. My point is that'll be a mistake, in my opinion, in Ashes if they went down that road. Simples.
    There will always be people excluding those who don't choose their cookie-cutter choice of optimal build.
  • I'm 110% with racial stats. Elves get a bonus that leads more people to play rangers or whatever? Good. People make a ton of Elf Rangers as a result? Yay. If they're naturally good at it then it makes perfect sense to see a bunch of them. Orcs get some kind of bonus to melee capability because of their brutal nature? Great! That makes perfect sense. More people roll Fighter or even Tank orc? Super! There would be a lot of them anyway, because that makes sense there would be a lot of what they're good at.

There will be plenty of people who enjoy making an outside-the-box character, too. You want a hulking Orc... mage? That fights with a bow? Fantastic, do you.

I think racial stats are awesome and that they enhance immersion. 
  • Dygz said:
    Kratz said:
    Dygz said:
    There will always be people excluding those who don't choose their cookie-cutter choice of optimal build.
    True my friend, and much of it can be down to ignorance but there are some MMOs where you actually can't blame those people because the racials are designed badly, eg, trying to DPS as a Nord in ESO. Who knows, maybe in time there'll be cookie-cutter/meta builds in Ashes but gimp the build because I don't have right gear or stats, not simply because I'm a Dwarf.   
  • I like the idea of choosing a class/race that will compliment the other. Either way though.
  • They are races for a reason, not re-skinned humans...
  • I will have to roll race for best bonus for my class instead of which race I like the most.

• I will have to roll race for best bonus for my class instead of which race I like the most.

You wont have to, with the amount of customization it will be hard to pin-point 'the best' combination, in the end it's all a choice you make.
  • Yeah, race/class/sub-class/armor/weapons/social organization/guild perks/augments.
    It's not going to be as simple as race/class.
    edited September 2018
    Id like to see orcs resist stun
    Elves cast faster
    Dark elves? Hit harder
    Dwarves have higher HP
    Humans resist fear/confusion.
    Random non applicable perhaps, but still I wanna see SOMETHING of the race matter in actual combat.

I will be going with human no matter what their stat is

edited September 2018
    I believe that with the multiple combinations and augmentations provided with character creations and growth it's going to be a very interesting path we all shall follow.    Cookie cutters I am sure will be left in the bakery ovens of old while Intrepid moves us all forward.
  • I think they can do it well in a fun way, besides they shouldn't affect things too much.
    edited September 2018
    Anything that will make characters more unique and adds complexity to the RPG aspect, I'm for. I still miss the racials of morrowind. I'm even for gender modifiers.

If people are a min-maxer then they can deal with that. Most of the time it is pretty negligible. Even if it wasn't, I still wouldn't care. I'm most likely going to pick my race based off their architecture style.
  • Long time d&d player here - I can't imagine an rpg or mmorpg without racial starting stats, to me, it is unheard of.
  • I don't want to be forced to pick a certain race to be the strongest.
    While I understand these stats changes will be basically nothing, I like to min/max.
  • everything that contributes to world building is a huge plus for me.

• Its believed that each Combination will have their own ups & downs. As such, every variant will be viable ... but " the journey to breaching that pinnacle " will not be the same  - which is why Ashes will have  Horizontal Progression
  • Seems like a min/maxer would inherently pick whatever race will end up strongest if having the strongest character possible is their goal.
  • reaccon said:
    If stats are involved there will always be a meta. 
  • Sintu said:
    reaccon said:
    Well no 2 races should be the same anyway, IS did say that they want different classes to feel different depending on race too, the diversity is nice and min-maxing wont get people anywhere if they dont have a solid grasp on the game itself.
  • Sintu said:
    reaccon said:
    Well no 2 races should be the same anyway, IS did say that they want different classes to feel different depending on race too, the diversity is nice and min-maxing wont get people anywhere if they dont have a solid grasp on the game itself.
    Will still have metas. But the racials should be fun to level. 
  • will be an interesting meta, 64 classes that will additionally be augmented by race, and probably by religion too.