Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What happens day one for a guild?

I have a general question to those of you who are planning to start the game off in a guild.  

1. Each race will have it's own starting area.
2. Each starting area will be a good distance from each other.
3. The world is quite large.
4. There is no fast travel.

So on day one, we in the "guild" all pop into the world.  If we in the "guild" are of differing races, then it will take many hours/days for everyone to get to the chosen node that we want to call our home.  OR  On day one, if everyone in the guild is of the same race, we all start at one spot and group up on day one and move reasonably together to our new home to begin our adventures.

Why do I give and unreasonable option of everyone being the same race in the "guild"? It is because I believe that in the first couple of days of game, if you had your guild all working together in one node you'd be able to get your town to level 3 and have a step up on those that are still trying to regroup as a guild.

The next question is "is it really that important to have a level 3 right away"?  I believe the answer is YES (if you want to be the group that has the most influence on that node).  Small bands of people and other guilds will be running to each node and trying to develop their version of the world.  I think that people will have a sense of ownership and will be somewhat less than friendly if they have developed a node to level 2/3 and our "guild" shows up and says "no, we decided that this was our node, it just took us a while to get here...now move aside".

What do you think?  Obviously there is some tongue and cheek in what I've said, however...would it be a benefit to all be the same race in the guild?

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    I'm hoping to form a Node community during Alpha and Beta.
    We have to see how different the map is from Beta to Launch, but...
    Seems like the first thing to do is to choose a climate/region.
    The second thing to do is try to find the Node Type we want - which, for me, is a Scientific Node.

We should have plenty of time during Headstart to migrate to the region we prefer... even if we choose to enter the world at different starting areas.
    But... characters can enter the world at any starting area they wish. That's not restricted by Race.

At Launch, we'll need to experiment with raising Nodes to Stage 1 so that we can find the [Scientific] Node we want to progress to Stage 3.
    We'll need to gather the resources required to build a Village - and then elect government leaders.

We will have to see if a Race has to have an established Metropolis to complete Racial Progression.
    The first thing I typically do with a brand new character is run it over to the starting area of a different Race.
    But, for Ashes, I don't necessarily care about the initial Racial make-up of my Home Node. Unless, I need to ensure my Race establishes a Metropolis in order to complete my Racial Progression.

I suppose, if you're starting at/after Launch, you might want to try to forge a Village as close to your starting area as possible - if you are intent on establishing a Village asap.
  • Well when I finally get a guild going the first thing will be to have a look at what is required to upgrade it and what upgrades will benefit the guildies more. Then work out a plan to get things done.
  • Nothing to worry about.

Even playing field for everybody. 
    There is no chance that a hardcore guild will have all it's members on the sane race.
    Only small RP guilds can pull that off but they are not competitive.

I have 0 fears.
  • dont forget you olso have to build up your guild .
    to add more players and stuff to it .
  • Also, they have never said that you would be able to form guilds from day one. Sure, you can have a group of people ready to join, but what if the mechanic to form the guild isn't in the starter areas, but instead only becomes available at node level 3. While overall it won't affect those who have banded together pre-release, it will add an interesting dynamic to the first couple days at launch.
  • @UnknownSystemError I completely hope this will be the case.  Obviously the organised guilds will have out of game members ready to sign up as soon as possible but from a game play and role play perspective it would be great to all come through the gates have to work together to establish a colony and as the the colony becomes more established a facility to make formal associations in the form of guild membership becomes available.
  • I was under the impression that while every race has a starting area you can start at any area you choose. Is this incorrect?
    edited September 2018
    I was under the impression that while every race has a starting area you can start at any area you choose. Is this incorrect?
    Yes, you can start at any of the starting areas you choose. This was changed in 2017 to address issues of people being able to meet up with their friends. The npcs in those starting areas will have a racial component. They have NOT said whether starting in an elf area as a dwarf will have any impact or not. Since the game is factionless, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just some casual racism probably.
    edited September 2018
    So on day one, we in the "guild" all pop into the world.  If we in the "guild" are of differing races, then it will take many hours/days for everyone to get to the chosen node that we want to call our home.  OR  On day one, if everyone in the guild is of the same race, we all start at one spot and group up on day one and move reasonably together to our new home to begin our adventures.

i think it'll be more beneficial having groups take different spawn's to get a wider understanding of each area, then meet up later.

Why do I give and unreasonable option of everyone being the same race in the "guild"? It is because I believe that in the first couple of days of game, if you had your guild all working together in one node you'd be able to get your town to level 3 and have a step up on those that are still trying to regroup as a guild.

The next question is "is it really that important to have a level 3 right away"?  I believe the answer is YES (if you want to be the group that has the most influence on that node).  Small bands of people and other guilds will be running to each node and trying to develop their version of the world.  I think that people will have a sense of ownership and will be somewhat less than friendly if they have developed a node to level 2/3 and our "guild" shows up and says "no, we decided that this was our node, it just took us a while to get here...now move aside".

imo the first node's will be the first to burn, so probably a better idea is to wait before you work to build up a "home base node" and see who else is in the area etc, and get reports back from the other "scouting parties" that took other spawn's to see whats going on in their areas

• I probably won't join a guild for some time, it will be near impossible to find players who are as mature and pve focused as I am, also English speaking and raiding at EU times.
  • I probably won't join a guild for some time, it will be near impossible to find players who are as mature and pve focused as I am, also English speaking and raiding at EU times.
    Theres a few established EU based guilds, who speak English over at https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/categories/european-guilds