Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Arena

I think it would be awesome if a high level military node had the ability to construct an arena where players could schedule battles where they could wager money or items on the battles and spectators could watch. Maybe even create a ranking system inside it's ZOI and maybe allow betting on those battles. What do you folks think?

Comments

• Love the idea. Probably because of the problem with the economy
  • @leaky76 Thanks! I think it would encourage a kind of dueling community and it would give an alternative to world pvp or battlegrounds. 
  • Sounds like a good idea. It can come with basic military node progression, eg. get an Arena at Node Level 3.
  • Some itch in the back of my soul is telling me that something along these lines was mentioned in a live stream as a community question..... For the life of me I can't remember more then that.
  • @Shoklen If that's the case I'm super pumped now! If it's true I'll owe you a good soul scratching!
  • The military node will have duels as a way of electing the mayor as far as I am aware, so I'd say we will have some sort of arena, gambling is another thing all together :3
  • Arenas may very well be a thing, but according to what I remember Intrepid will not allow betting since this can be exploited. Unfortunate, but some people will take advantage of a mechanic if it will be profitable for them. If they had something like in TES: Oblivion where the combatants were random npc's and you placed a bet before seeing the combatants maybe it could work. 
  • @CptBrownBeard Good point! I could see how it could be exploited like with people throwing fights, but maybe there is a way to make it plausible. Maybe someone with more knowledge of gambling could come up with something!  
  • I would never use it but after seeing how immensely popular it is in runescape, I think it would be a great feature to include in ashes.

I feel like there would be too much match fixing if spectators could bet.

I would like to see:
    The two duelist being able to bet against each other. (optional)
    The winnings being taxed.
    Detection of real world trading via this system.
    Removal of instanced arenas.

I think it would be better for the game if instanced arenas were replaced even-though I would enter instanced arenas but it's unlikely I would ever enter the non instanced arenas.

• I could only imagine it being used for rwt. :/ Pessimistic day
  • tying it into a military node is a good idea and maybe have it scale up with node level from a fighting pit with wooden bleacher to a full on coliseum at metropolis level perhaps even adding a monthly tournament like mount hua in aow where the winner gets a temporary weapon skin to use till the next tournament
  • McCheese said:
    tying it into a military node is a good idea and maybe have it scale up with node level from a fighting pit with wooden bleacher to a full on coliseum at metropolis level perhaps even adding a monthly tournament like mount hua in aow where the winner gets a temporary weapon skin to use till the next tournament
    That's a great idea!! Maybe the top ranked fighter could get a cool mount or something to denote their rank. The higher level the arena is the better the reward for being the top ranked!
  • I could only imagine it being used for rwt. :/ Pessimistic day
    Maybe but Im sure there are ways to protect against it. Or maybe i should say that I hope there is a way!
  • Every major city should have an arena for pvp and pve, with players able to make bets and spectate arena battles.
  • Every major city should have an arena for pvp and pve, with players able to make bets and spectate arena battles.
    Pretty sure IS is against official 'betting' systems like that, could be wrong though.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Every major city should have an arena for pvp and pve, with players able to make bets and spectate arena battles.
    Pretty sure IS is against official 'betting' systems like that, could be wrong though.
    Nope, you would not be wrong. They have already said that player betting on pvp would not be an in-game mechanic, too prone to abuse. There may be cosmetics that will be awarded though for arena rankings.

edited September 2018
    Cool idea. They already have an arena system planned to select the ruler of a node, but adding a gambling aspect to it would be pretty cool..
    edited September 2018
    Gambling would be awesome but this is an MMO and we can not be trusted with nice things.    :p

Someone will always try to game the system and Steven is too smart to let one so easily taken advantage of with throwing fights.

This would be really awsome if possible.
    edited September 2018
    Every major city should have an arena for pvp and pve, with players able to make bets and spectate arena battles.
    Nope, you would not be wrong. They have already said that player betting on pvp would not be an in-game mechanic, too prone to abuse. There may be cosmetics that will be awarded though for arena rankings.

Would be betting gold, its hardly going to end anyone life if they lose some gold.
    There are tons of ways the could implement betting safely and with minimal risk.
  • Yep betting could easily be abused and used as a way to move currency around. Love @Bink suggestion tho  :)

Would be betting gold, its hardly going to end anyone life if they lose some gold.
    There are tons of ways the could implement betting safely and with minimal risk.
    I would love to hear some of your suggestions. In my mind it would be easy to just have one of the people take a dive to easily make coin. But I just may not be thinking of something that is possible. @Grimseethe
  • Sintu said:

I would love to hear some of your suggestions. In my mind it would be easy to just have one of the people take a dive to easily make coin. But I just may not be thinking of something that is possible. @Grimseethe

Some possible ways could be to keep the max bet amount pretty low,
    so people are betting for fun, instead of actually trying to get a lot of gold from it.
    If you make a bet it could be random, if you want to see a friend fight without betting that's fine, but if you make a bet, you only see two random players named combatant 1 & 2, you don't see their names until the bet is already placed and its too late.
    I think any idea, even removing betting is better than having no arena.
    The arena was amazing in Oblivion.
  • I think if they made a maximum bet and kept it relatively low it wouldn't be too much trouble. Throwing fights wouldnt really effect the casual betters and anyone who was really into picking fights would probably know who was throwing fights. Aside from that I'm not too sure how it could be tkaen advantage of if they kept the maximum bet low. At least that's my 2 cents!
  • Honestly if they are to include a betting system then at least make it right not some stupid max. amount you can bet or random bets, if you wont do it right dont do it at all, an arena in which you can win rewards is already good enough and player can still technically bet as long as gold is trade-able in some way and you trust the other person to go through with it (which would be more realistic anyway)
  • Even with a small bet it could be easy to just have guild mates continue to fight while on discord and call out who to bet on. That doesn’t stop any of the concerns. 
  • Sintu said:
    Even with a small bet it could be easy to just have guild mates continue to fight while on discord and call out who to bet on. That doesn’t stop any of the concerns. 
    Good point! I'm stumped XD
  • Bink said:
    Sintu said:
    Even with a small bet it could be easy to just have guild mates continue to fight while on discord and call out who to bet on. That doesn’t stop any of the concerns. 
    You know what fixes that conundrum? Don't add the option in the first place. They can't stop people from being people, but they can make sure they don't help them profit off a rigged system. Feel free to spectate a match with your buddy and say "I'll give you 1000g if TwinkmasterBot kills NoobPwner." just don't expect an escrow system where the game runs it like a sports book and pays you based on who wins.
  • Bink said:
    Sintu said:
    You know what fixes that conundrum? Don't add the option in the first place. They can't stop people from being people, but they can make sure they don't help them profit off a rigged system. Feel free to spectate a match with your buddy and say "I'll give you 1000g if TwinkmasterBot kills NoobPwner." just don't expect an escrow system where the game runs it like a sports book and pays you based on who wins.
    Yeah, it seems like a betting system might not be such a good idea. Seems like it might be better if it's like a friendly thing instead of an in game mechanic
  • A fight betting system where the bets are kept fully hidden until the fight is over.
  • Nah that wouldnt work