Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

I vote to just make it action combat

Even in this early alpha state the action combat feels amazing. I'd love to see this system expanded on and an targeting just forgotten about. I could see a tab targeting type system for healers since action combat healing in a raid would be rather difficult to pull off but that's about it. For dps and tanks I think the action combat would be ideal. 

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    ok
    Edit:

• And I vote no. Plenty of twitcher games out there to get your click on. This was a testing mode to gain data and the TTC (time to kill) has been greatly sped up for testing to gain that data. Combat when done will not resemble Fortnite or any other BR out there on the market.
  • Gonna have to disagree with you man. Sorry :/
  • I kind of agree but I'm sure some classes like healers it would be weird with action combat.
    edited September 2018
    I vote no. 

Looking forward to to the flexibility of using both in the hybrid system. 
  • I vote yes.
    Even though I would love tab targeting ez mode PvE grinding.
  • If only it was a democracy and votes mattered.

If they were to go action only, they'd have to do full refunds for everyone who basically would never have played if they knew it was action only.    
  • and just to be clear I'm not talking about the exact action combat from the stress tests, have 2-3 abilities would be boring after a few hours. I'm talking about something similar to Black Desert where you hit key combos to attack instead of just hitting tab and 1-9

For those that have never played Black Desert a example of a combo ability would be hitting f key +shift to cast a fireball followed by the right mouse button to make it explode. It really makes combat a lot more fun.
    edited September 2018
    There are combo abilities planned, but they work off of synergies between multiple players. The combat in BDO is shit, and while it may be a visually stunning game, it is dying the inevitable action combat mmo death. The "make it more like BDO!" "make it more like EVE!" and the "make it more like <insert favorite game here>" crowd have these threads pop up every few months, and as @Jahlon pointed out, if this was a democracy where the playerbase got a vote, it would be worrying, but since it isn't, these aren't the droids you're looking for, move along.
  • Darthaden said:
    and just to be clear I'm not talking about the exact action combat from the stress tests, have 2-3 abilities would be boring after a few hours. I'm talking about something similar to Black Desert where you hit key combos to attack instead of just hitting tab and 1-9

For those that have never played Black Desert a example of a combo ability would be hitting f key +shift to cast a fireball followed by the right mouse button to make it explode. It really makes combat a lot more fun.
    I hate BDO’s combat so hell no.
  • BDO isn't dying because of it's action combat though...….well not exactly. The combat does suck but it's not the action part that makes it that way, it's the mind numbingly dumb AI that provides zero challenge. Even that though doesn't hold a candle to the p2w and enhancement system for causing people to quit 
  • I just can't imagine how difficult of a task it's going to be to try to balance pvp if they allow players to spec into either action or tab targeting. It's hard enough trying to balance classes with one combat system let alone multiple. When it comes to end game pvp your going to be forced into one or the other whichever system is deemed to give a advantage over the other 
  • You are not able to fully spec into one or the other. The goal is a maximum 75/25 split. Certain types of abilities like crowd control will only be tab targeting for example. And as always, they are not balancing for 1v1, but instead for group dynamics. Stats will not be pvp/pve based but will affect both equally.

• Well it's not really something you can vote for, and even if it was, I'd have to disagree with you. BDO's combat felt satisfying for a short while, until you realized that you were basically just spamming buttons when grinding. Aside from that I'm generally just a fan of tab targeting, and I for one think it's super interesting that Intrepid is taking the approach of combining the two combat styles to create something new
  • Oh dear GOD no! I know many like the whole BDO chaos combat. I can't stand it...its like a blinking lights seizure, click click click flash flash, it would kill AoC for me in a sec. For me the perfect balance is something like GW2/ESO with maybe a tad more action combat.... so what they are going for with tabtarget/realtime hybrid sounds like a gift from the heavens .... IF it is done right....and i do think this company is the one to get it right ;-)
    edited September 2018
    You are not able to fully spec into one or the other. The goal is a maximum 75/25 split. Certain types of abilities like crowd control will only be tab targeting for example. And as always, they are not balancing for 1v1, but instead for group dynamics. Stats will not be pvp/pve based but will affect both equally.

The 75/25 max would only cause both sides to be unhappy, which would be the worst case, that one could achieve.

Also stop with that "And as always, they are not balancing for 1v1" bullshit... we heard it many times already, and without exception every game where developers used this as a argument, there was broken balance in BOTH 1v1 and XvX.

Also no from me too. There are already tons of action games on the market already, and not surprising without exception each is dying/dead.

Also bdo combat suck hard.
  • akmaa said:

Also stop with that "And as always, they are not balancing for 1v1" bullshit... we heard it many times already, and without exception every game where developers used this as a argument, there was broken balance in BOTH 1v1 and XvX.

You don't have to like it, but it has been mentioned on more than one occasion by the developers. The "rock, paper, scissors dynamic to 1v1" is also one of their greatest hits. So while you are entitled to your opinion, Intrepid has spent the last year shooting down every critic by hitting milestones, from the early days of "Its a cashgrab scam from a MLM guy, it's vaporware and you will never see a playable game." The reason that they have hit those milestones is that they have picked a single direction they are going in, Steven's direction, and are not spending countless wasted days debating on what the unwashed masses of the internet think. So, once again as pointed out by others above, you can throw you two cents in, they just going to float to the bottom of the well.
  • akmaa said:
    The 75/25 max would only cause both sides to be unhappy, which would be the worst case, that one could achieve.
    I disagree. I'd would be immensely surprised if any significant amount of people would be unhappy having at least some of both kinds mixed in. I could be wrong, but I believe that very few people are that anal-retentive about their controls.

And since when was it popular opinion that BDO combat sucks? Just because they went total P2W and people are finally dropping that pointless grind-fest doesn't mean that it didn't have some of the most unique, dynamic (arguably to a fault), borderline revolutionary combat of any MMO to date. The systems and mechanics were polished, extremely skill-based, and would have been amazing if they actually had a game to go with it. Slow movement speed down, add actual dungeon/raid/anykindofend-gamebesidesworldbossesthatareessentiallydailyquests, maybe throw in a bit more build diversity (and nerf the **** out of witches/wizards) and you'd get a game that a lot of people, myself included, would still be playing.
  • I'm voting"no".

When I started BDO, at first I was excited about its combat system.
    But in time, after you killed 1,000+ mobs, the needed key combos were getting really tiresome - ended up buying a macro mouse to pull them off with just one click...

My priority regarding combat is that it shouldn't strain your carpal tunnels - I'd like to see a kinda relaxed way using the skill system, especially if it's getting grindy.
  • Sikuba said:
    And since when was it popular opinion that BDO combat sucks? 
    Since the honeymoon period, solely due to the flashiness, wore off.
  • I vote no. I like their vision of a hybrid system. Whether it will be successful or not is unknown at this time. 
  • @Pooka would have to say "No"
  • I would say no.   It dumbs down the encounters and makes CC management almost impossible.   Focusing targets would be impossible with large groups.    PVP?  Maybe but not for PVE encounters. 
  • Oh dear GOD no! I know many like the whole BDO chaos combat. I can't stand it...its like a blinking lights seizure, click click click flash flash, it would kill AoC for me in a sec. For me the perfect balance is something like GW2/ESO with maybe a tad more action combat.... so what they are going for with tabtarget/realtime hybrid sounds like a gift from the heavens .... IF it is done right....and i do think this company is the one to get it right ;-)

I don't think the mindless ai flashy light show is the part of bdo combat that people want.  I'm pretty sure the part people want is the keyboard mouse key combo's to throw skills so they don't have to take their hands away from their mouse or movement keys to hit skills.  And it should be noted this is the kind of thing that can be done in while still having a hot bar for people who want it.

But while if such a system is in place I will likely play pure action combat style I still think tab target play options should be there as well especially for skills like buffs and heals, altho for tab target offensive skills those skills should not be a guaranteed hit at least in pvp , they should be something that can be blocked or dodged with proper timing if you see the skill animation.

In short I propose we give options for each preference while keeping things balanced by making tab target not a 100% hit in pvp.

• I love the combat system in Tera and really hope the action side of things leans more towards something like that, but am super interested in this hybrid system and can't wait to get my hands on it. 

So I guess I sorta agree due to my several years with Tera
  • I don't want twitch reflexes to beat actual skill and planning, like in shooters.
  • I don't want twitch reflexes to beat actual skill and planning, like in shooters.
    Reaction time is a part of "skill". just because your reflexes may suck, doesn't mean it gets taken off the list of things that make a player skilled.
  • Where is the poll? I vote for an option to vote in this thread!  :'(:#
    edited September 2018
    I don't want twitch reflexes to beat actual skill and planning, like in shooters.
    Reaction time is a part of "skill". just because your reflexes may suck, doesn't mean it gets taken off the list of things that make a player skilled.
    True, reflexes are part of a skill but in action combat often it's the only thing that matters. I think people are hoping for a system where they can choose how to play.  Higher mobility builds will utilize more action combat where some folks might want to stand their ground and use a hotbar. They put aside all this time to flesh out the combat so why don't we wait to see if they can do it before we write off even attempting it. 
  • I love action combat.
    But, I like options even better, so...
    I'm glad Ashes design provides both.