Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Proximity based VOIP

What's stopping Intrepid from including this feature in their game? I can't think of any real disadvantages... Is it difficult to implement or something? 

Comments

• Seems like you haven't looked at the wiki. If you had you should have seen the disadvantage given in the picture.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Seaber said:

Seems like you haven't looked at the wiki. If you had you should have seen the disadvantage given in the picture.
    That's what you call a disadvantage? You should be able to mute those kids without any effort and there's got to be penalties for these type of situations anyways.
  • Because its nearly impossible to monitor an entire playerbase worth of VOIP.  If I report you for saying a racial slur, How is IS going to confirm that?  Are they then going to have to record your coms?  Will they passively record it, and if you get reported save the last 5 minutes?  If an entire guild is salty over a raided caravan and reports the other guild leader, how does IS confirm?  20x reports must be accurate right?   

I am 99% against a VOIP.  A Guildchat is mostly unneeded, as they will likely be in discord.  Party/raid chat is awesome.  90% for that.   
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Spartanz said:
    Because its nearly impossible to monitor an entire playerbase worth of VOIP.  If I report you for saying a racial slur, How is IS going to confirm that?  Are they then going to have to record your coms?  Will they passively record it, and if you get reported save the last 5 minutes?  If an entire guild is salty over a raided caravan and reports the other guild leader, how does IS confirm?  20x reports must be accurate right?   

I am 99% against a VOIP.  A Guildchat is mostly unneeded, as they will likely be in discord.  Party/raid chat is awesome.  90% for that.   
    I wouldn't mind our Comms being recorded as long as it's only used for confirmation. I'm sure Intrepid could definitely come up with a plan around that, I mean, they are making the next best MMO right? Also, party/raid chat is great but why can't we have both? You said you were 99% against VOIP which mean that you still want to see VOIP... You know you want it.
  • I ... can't ... resist ... You think that you want it, but you don't.

Here I typed it. RRREEEEEEEE
  • But I soo badly do!! RP would feel so much more immersive man! Plllleeeeeaasssee! I cri evri tim
  • Proximity chat is my favorite and least favorite adpeva if games like Sea of Thieves and PUBG.
  • IF Intrepid could, and DOES actually punish the people making it a cancer, then I'd be down sure.  Walking up to someone in the forest and being like "yo bruh" would be awesome.  Walking up to someone and saying "yo bruh" to get a "YOOOOOOOOOOOO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" would not be, and I feel that most would end up just playing the game with VOIP off, just as most do in PuBG.  The punishment would have to be lax enough so that the salty people dont just get banned.  But harsh enough that those who make it unenjoyable arent just muted for 2 days...
    Maybe a 3 day mute, into a week mute, into a temp account suspension,  into a perm banned from VOIP
  • Aside from using as an RP function most people would stick to discord or just fuck around with people :3
  • I remember when they first implemented pomposity voice in Planetside 2.. Was the time I also realized that a lot of gamers mouth-breath when they play.. it got turned off for most of the time. The raid guild I was in insisted upon sing 3rd party voice software anyway.
    if it is included, cool, if not, no biggy loss in today's gaming world with the abundance of 3rd party software.
  • I think if they implemented it, it would turn out like this...

1) Most people would find it annoying and just mute it.

2) The people who do want to use it get frustrated because they run up to people and try to talk to them via VOIP, get no response, and stop trying to use it.

3) Nobody uses it and now IS wasted time and resources implementing a useless feature.