Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Hello!

Hi everyone,

I just learned about AoC today and after watching some clips of the game I must say it really caught my attention. I've started thinking about paying for beta access, but 75/150 USD is a little bit on the steep side economically at the moment. I'll definitely keep an eye out for thing game regardless, and perhaps I can consider this my birthday present when my next paycheck arrives (although the missus might be of another opinion..)   :)

So I was hoping you guys could help me decide, although I do understand that the game is still in early development and many things are going to change before the release. But first, a very short backstory:

I used to play a lot of computer and video games back in the 90's (NES, SNES, PS2, Half-Life, Counter-Strike etc.) but got tired of it after a while. Then, around 2006 after many years of casually playing some Final Fantasy games, I got my first mmorpg - World of Warcraft - which really had an impact on me. Not so much the repetitive questing and grinding (even though it is something I can enjoy as an almost meditative pastime) but definitely so the social aspect; doing dungeons, raiding and 'PvP-ing' together with other people, talking to each other and having fun over voice chat. It felt especially rewarding when I eventually found myself in an 'half-serious guild', where most of the people were older than me and all of us were playing mostly for fun. But even so, we still needed to put in a good 2-3 hours a day (on average) to be able to "do" anything really.  I played as a priest (healer) and that's something I really enjoyed.

Almost a decade has passed since I quit playing WoW and I've been thinking it might be fun to try something new that could give that same experience. Perhaps AoC could be just that experience? The problem i foresee is that I don't think I'll be able to play much, perhaps only an hour or so per week night and maybe 2-3 hours on Fridays and Saturdays, since I've got kids now.

So I thought I may as well ask you guys: Do you think this will be enjoyable even for a casual player? Or is it going to be a game where you must put in the man hours to be able to enjoy it?

Anyway, the game looks like it's going to be a great one and I really hope it'll be a success. And perhaps I'll see you guys around in the future!

Best regards,
Oddman

Comments

• Hello and welcome ashes of creation oddman ^^
  • nagash said:
    Hello and welcome ashes of creation oddman ^^
    Thanks! 
  • Welcome to Ashes! :)
    I'm confident you can enjoy this game as a casual player! For sure!^^
    There are so many different things to do and to explore. And even as a casual, everything you do impacts the world. Whether you play 1h a day or 10, we all contribute to building our Verra.
    If you want to chat a bit about everything, feel free to visit our discord ;)

• Welcome to Ashes!!!
  • Hackerson said:
    Welcome to Ashes! :)
    I'm confident you can enjoy this game as a casual player! For sure!^^
    There are so many different things to do and to explore. And even as a casual, everything you do impacts the world. Whether you play 1h a day or 10, we all contribute to building our Verra.
    If you want to chat a bit about everything, feel free to visit our discord ;)

Thanks!

And thank you for the input. I really like the idea of us players impacting the actual world/nodes (instead of the stale world I was used to in WoW), it's just difficult to imagine the whole concept when you're used to the usual "world stiffness". It's going to be very interesting to see the development of this mechanic! It can literally be a game changer, and I hope it will be.

And thanks for the invite! I'll check it out  :)
  • Sintu said:
    Welcome to Ashes!!!
    Thanks Sintu! :)
  • Howdy oddman! I too hope the game will have room for casual play, as I can't play games 12+ hours a day like I did in my peak WoW days. From what I've seen so far there is some promising reasons to think casual play might be pretty enjoyable. Guess time will tell, one way or the other. For now we wait.
  • Welcome to the community Oddman :) I'm sure you'll enjoy this game as a casual player. 
  • Oddman I agree with Hackerson. There a lots of members of the guild I am in that only want to farm and breed mounts, but everything they will be doing even short amounts of gameplay will be going towards leveling the node they are within so it is a pretty amazing concept for a game. Hope to see you in Verra!
  • Welcome to Ashes 
  • Greetings from Oceania and welcome to Ashes of Creation!!!
  • Welcome to the Ahses, hopefully you will have a nice time here
  • Heya,

I think you will find there will be a niche for everyone.

Welcome to Ashes!
  • All lives matter in ashes. Even elves ;)

Seriously though.....there will be many many players in the exact same boat as you, that will do what they can when they can for the node.
    Welcome home.
  • Welcome friend!