Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Server Architecture

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited September 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design
Dear Devs,
I have been gaming since 1980 on my Atari 2600 console. I've seen a lot come and go. I already bought the $500.00 pre-order pack and am anxious to help stress test. One of the main things (outside of gameplay) that has negatively impacted a games health is server architecture. 
One of the best examples of this failing is Star Wars the old republic. Separate servers, people could have the same name as long as they're on different servers, and regular downtime for maintenance. People left certain servers for various reasons, some said the PVP was poorly designed. In fact it was, especially on the pvp server I started on. But, what happened was it snowballed leaving some servers empty, so when they merged the servers people like myself who pre-ordered the VIP game package ended up losing my account name with which I had built all my characters around to a level 12 new player who had taken it on my destination server...
I currently play Guild Wars 2, one of the best examples of the countless games I've played that has streamlined the server architecture. It doesn't matter which server you're on all maps populate from all servers, you'll never lose your name over a server merge (like I did in swtor), and in 6 years the game has NEVER been offline. Prior to their Heart of Thorns expansion release, there was a content drought, and it was the server architecture making sure no one was stranded on an empty server during the wait that kept the games momentum going forward.
I would like a brief description of the design of Ashes of Creations server architecture. Because I promise it is the one thing that can get good games through low population or content droughts that can happen for various reasons. And from what I've seen in your videos/discussions, content creators videos, and the website I want this game to succeed.
Respectfully,
-Powurshot

Comments

• We have no details about how server transfers or mergers are going to work.

We probably won't get those details any time soon either.   

• Jahlon said:
    We have no details about how server transfers or mergers are going to work.

We probably won't get those details any time soon either.   

I appreciate your response but, that wasn't the question. I'm aware information on the topic hasn't been released; that's why I'm asking for it. :)
  • Powurshot said:
    I appreciate your response but, that wasn't the question. I'm aware information on the topic hasn't been released; that's why I'm asking for it. :)

How are you planning on doing servers and will we see merging if a servers player base dies?

• [24:17]
    • A: Steven: First of all, obviously our our goal is to accurately and proportionately populate our servers. There's a very healthy number of players and in order to achieve that goal, obviously this Kickstarter is a great start to that, but more importantly having that relationship with the community to help build our community with Ashes of Creation, so that we have a strong player base that is large in numbers, really will mitigate the risk in having to consider server merges, but I think that if we were to come up across that issue, it would be it would be a process that's both fair to each of the server populations being considered for that merger.
    • Peter: It's something we're definitely cognizant of, it's not on the back burner. We are always thinking of that in relation to how to move forward. I think the first step [in how to move forward is that] we're mentioning servers plural, so we're not thinking a world server, that's not in the thought process there.
    • Steven: Multiple servers, we're thinking a very healthy number for the concurrency, current server usage.
    • Peter: Yeah
    <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJAXeWHrhFM&gt;

• Jahlon said:

How are you planning on doing servers and will we see merging if a servers player base dies?

• A: Steven: First of all, obviously our our goal is to accurately and proportionately populate our servers. There's a very healthy number of players and in order to achieve that goal, obviously this Kickstarter is a great start to that, but more importantly having that relationship with the community to help build our community with Ashes of Creation, so that we have a strong player base that is large in numbers, really will mitigate the risk in having to consider server merges, but I think that if we were to come up across that issue, it would be it would be a process that's both fair to each of the server populations being considered for that merger.
    • Peter: It's something we're definitely cognizant of, it's not on the back burner. We are always thinking of that in relation to how to move forward. I think the first step [in how to move forward is that] we're mentioning servers plural, so we're not thinking a world server, that's not in the thought process there.
    • Steven: Multiple servers, we're thinking a very healthy number for the concurrency, current server usage.

Jahlon,

I appreciate you're trying to be helpful but I would respectfully ask you to please stop trying to speak for the Devs to whom my post was addressed. You're welcome to make comments on any post of course. My post is addressed "Dear Devs" for a reason, I'm aware of all content that has been put out, I've watched everything (even DeathsProxy videos) and am interested in more details about "architecture" of the servers, which was discussed vaguely in that particular video 1 year and 4 months ago. A lot has been done since and I'm sure they have more details to offer.

• Powurshot said:
    Jahlon said:

Jahlon,

I appreciate you're trying to be helpful but I would respectfully ask you to please stop trying to speak for the Devs to whom my post was addressed. You're welcome to make comments on any post of course. My post is addressed "Dear Devs" for a reason, I'm aware of all content that has been put out, I've watched everything (even DeathsProxy videos) and am interested in more details about "architecture" of the servers, which was discussed vaguely in that particular video 1 year and 4 months ago. A lot has been done since and I'm sure they have more details to offer.

Sorry to say this but the devs rarely post back on the forums so you are best asking the question on the discord.

• That's unfortunate :(
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    How do you merge two player bases with alternate reality type 'shared histories' which impact the server ?
    How can a player possess node unlocked skills/assets/lore/achievement...if they have not been unlocked on the server they migrate to ?

I guess you can be an interdimensional being thats jumps between alternative timelines. Will be fascinating to see how intrepid gets around such paradox.

And no Intrepid will never give you detailed specs of their server hardware. I mean they could, but its not smart. Just imagine serious, cutting edged potatoes.....or crisps. A crisp factory even.
  • Powurshot said:

That's unfortunate :(
    Powurshot said:
    Jahlon,

I would never be so bold to speak for the Devs, instead I just provide what information is there and to let people know when they are barking up a tree that has been barked up several times in the past to no avail.

Steven does address threads on the forums when they do need to be addressed, but as Nagash said you are more likely to get a response:

1) From getting your questions selected during a live stream Q&A

2) From getting a good conversation going on Discord where we can get Steven to chime in

The question you have asked is one that has been asked by the community numerous times and alas, the sources I have given you really do represent what Steven and Intrepid has been willing to say on the matter.

Best of luck getting the answer you seek
  • You dont have a good chance of getting answers on the forums, maybe try discord :3
  • Are you Jim Jefferies?