Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

How is this not P2W?

Hello so I've noticed this game is gathering quite a bit of hype. And the top thing is that it won't be P2W. But now as I look at the pre-order packs I'm asking... How is this not P2W?

Now a lot of people might think oh it's just a mount whatever. But let's get deeper into this... Now this is supposed to be kind of a sandbox type of game as I heard and traveling is very important in a sandbox game Eve has shown that to me a number of times. So we have no clue how hard is a mount to get nor how long it will take. If it's like 20 minutes then you know not a big deal but if it's vanilla wow kind of hard now there's a problem. Let's take a clan of 75$ people and 250$ people. People with mounts will travel further and faster and will settle in a way more rich environment and will reap the benefits of it. And a 375$ clan will settle more cities around and start sending caravans back and forth and will create a healthy economy in their cities inside their clan or whatever where as $75 clan will be stuck in a desert with no resources and struggling to settle down. So what are the details on that?

And the developers doesn't really give a lot of details on themselves. Right now what I know is "I am a MMO player and there will be no P2W" we have no clue what did he play was he a casual or a hardcore player is he known is he a veteran? It's like toss me 75$ and I'll give you a game. Sounds a lot like Star Citizen and the hype is looooong over and noone really believes it will ever be as it was promised.

And what's up with pre-order stuff? Where is the standard edition? Why do I have to spend 25$ in a credits shot that I know nothing about and why do I have to have some kind of jewel that I know nothing about?

And russian publishers in a european region? Why? We all know they will .... europe as they have been doing for years now with various games.

This looks sooooo weird and fishy.

Comments

• Also I would like to say that I'm not trying to discredit or shame or impact a game in any way It's just the questions that are concerning me as I know very little about this game.
  • I do not know about the other stuff but we also know nothing about mounts as a whole. It could be that the ones offered in the shop are just cosmetic-mounts. Then the in-game mechanics of gaining a mount is no different then any other player.. But once they do get a mount they can give it a custom look. If this is the case, which I feel it just might be.. Then there is no P2W at all.. it's just cosmetic.
  • Shoklen said:
    I do not know about the other stuff but we also know nothing about mounts as a whole. It could be that the ones offered in the shop are just cosmetic-mounts. Then the in-game mechanics of gaining a mount is no different then any other player.. But once they do get a mount they can give it a custom look. If this is the case, which I feel it just might be.. Then there is no P2W at all.. it's just cosmetic.
    That is a fair point but again we don't know.
  • Land Mounts will first be obtained through an early quest that is present for players within the starting areas. 
    That's on the wiki!
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Extrapolated reasoning why I feel they are cosmetic in nature...
    1. No statistics given would mean they have all identical stats, or, they have no stats at all.
    2. If stats are identical, how would they compare to mounts in the game itself?
    3. With #2 in mind at some point there would be a tipping balance between shop-mounts and mounts in the game that could bring up some issues. Those that had shop-mounts would feel entitled to have the better mount as they 'paid' for it. But until when? Better then a level 5 mount, level 10, 25, 40?
    The cleaner way to implement them would be as cosmetic. This would also reflect everything else offered in those packages outside the game time and shop currency.

But... like you said, we just don't know... I have a feeling though...
  • Yeah, I hope they are just cosmetic. Like I hope the mount quest is mandatory and the store mounts are strictly a cosmetic skin.
  • Intrepid, and Steven in particular, have stated multiple times that the items in the store are purely cosmetic. Mounts will only be obtainable through a quest once the node is established to a certain level and/or through breeding later on.

I don't have the exact livestream where they said it on hand, but hopefully that helps.
    edited September 2018
    The “mounts” in all packages are just skins. You have to get a mount in game before putting the cosmetic skin you purchased on it. This was told during kickstarter which seems like forever ago. 

So no one starts off with an actual mount. Steven did this to avoid any P2W practices.

You don’t have to spend any money if you do not want and can just pay $15 to try the game out for a month when it comes out. 
    edited September 2018
    A little research goes a long way. Or at the very minimum, ask questions before asserting negative comments.

All cash shop items are cosmetic, including the mounts, pets, weapons, armor, and buildings but they require something to apply it to.

You can't find a 'standard edition' because there is no box cost, therefor you have to buy something to pre-order.

And the bit about my.com... well Ashes is supposed to maintain full control over the game and if my.com can't achieve the standards put forth in the contract, they lose publishing rights and it goes to someone else. Sucks, but that's what EU has to deal with now. However there will be no region locking so you and your friends can play on NA or SEA https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Regions
  • Everything in the cash shop is a cosmetic only.

You buy a lizard mount skin from the cash shop that's cool, but before you can use it you still have to acquire a mount that can accept the skin.

• Oh NO!! not another this is P2W thread.
  • Just wait till they find out about the cosmetics that can be earned in A1P1. Oh wait, since everyone who has a free account will have a chance at them too, must be p2w.
  • Everything is cosmetic, even the mounts are skins, you still need to earn your first mount.
    edited September 2018
    Why do people not research games anymore? if you did, you would know everything you see in the shop is cosmetic
  • Wow, this post is just so, well uneducated.

Read the Wiki, read the blogs there's a lot of information on this site that very carefully spells out why there is absolutely NO P2W in this title.    This is not a free to play twitch kiddy game, it is an old style, subscription MMO being built by a lot of experienced MMO developers.
  • I can never decide if people are just really stupid or they are trolls.

I mean that's what a good troll does, they say something counter to what is fact with such conviction that you're forced to do a double take.

At least that's how I troll sometimes, obviously you have more then one way to troll, shameless plug I can give classes on trolling just 50$ per 30 min session.

I don't think the poster is serious, I mean its more effort to create an account then looking at the ashes wiki
  • DarudeDude,

I am going to give the benefit of the doubt a believe you.  The packages currently and have been sold with early access, cosmetics, buildings, mounts have 2 reasons for them.

1.  To advertise the game!  Intrepid Studios was created by a gamer who didnt like the P2W antics that rotted the genre, saw the controling interests bought and given to others, forcefully making developers work on a product that is no longer "theirs".  Selling packages, kickstarters,  & pre orders critically help an indie game studio have financial room to develop.  Making a game, worrying about rent, & paying people can get stressful, especially when the company is young and their product wont return any money FOR YEARS. Note I am probably more skeptcal than you as I do SW Engineering for a living, so I know the lowdown, and I backed the still at pax 17, after 3+ months on the fence.

2.  Tying early access to packages  allows Intrepid to control how many people can access each testing phase.  Too many and no chance you systems can handle the load.  For Example, soon as they have enough number of testers for Alpha 2, the current packages with A2 keys will have them removed. 

If you dont know much about what information we know, or dont know where to look, or have a question feel free to ask, but know that accusing the future AoC MMORPG to be a P2W right off the bat, makes you look like a troll and that you have no interest in the truth, and WORSE any of your questions would go unanswered... a loss for you!
  • Greygoose said:
    I can never decide if people are just really stupid or they are trolls.

I mean that's what a good troll does, they say something counter to what is fact with such conviction that you're forced to do a double take.

At least that's how I troll sometimes, obviously you have more then one way to troll, shameless plug I can give classes on trolling just 50$ per 30 min session.

I don't think the poster is serious, I mean its more effort to create an account then looking at the ashes wiki
    1) Create an account called "DarudeDude" (The Rude Dude).

2) Post an inflammatory post designed to rile up the community.

3) Never post again.

I dunno...  Maybe a troll...? :p
  • nagash said:
    Why do people not research games anymore? if you did, you would know everything you see in the shop is cosmetic
    Trolls will be trolls and others don't fact check anything.
  • Pleased 2 whine?
  • nagash said:
    Trolls will be trolls and others don't fact check anything.
    The only good troll is a troll that is turned to ashes as even he undead dont want them
    edited September 2018
    They are skins....not mounts.
    You cant buy mounts.
    No P2W

• I liked your post because that was one of the best trolls I've seen since my RuneScape days.
  • Anyone else noticing an uptick in these types of threads and Discord comments lately?

Something is going on....
  • All mounts, armors etc. in the shop are cosmetics, I feel like a lot of these topics have been beat to death at this point.
  • Karthos said:
    Anyone else noticing an uptick in these types of threads and Discord comments lately?

I was thinking the same thing 
  • nagash said:
    Karthos said:
    Anyone else noticing an uptick in these types of threads and Discord comments lately?

Great minds..................
    It must be THAT time of month for trolls to crawl out from  the dung heap.
  • CylverRayne said:
    Now, now, be nice.. It's a perfectly natural monthly cycle.....
  • *runs into the thread to beat this topic to death for the 237th time*

*notices all the regulars are already all over it*

*slinks off disappointed*
  • nagash said:
    Karthos said:

Great minds..................
    I was thinking it was because AoC is getting some press coverage and advertising.  It’s a good sign.

Trolls aren’t going to come in here if they’ve never heard of the game.