Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Within-server population distribution

I was wondering if there is any information on how the devs plan to prevent clustering of players wanting to settle down in a few nodes (i.e. metropolises).

I recognize there are ways to disincentivize players from clustering like cost of citizenship for example. I also know there are lots of incentives to explore and travel the world, but what about settling down? The only thing I can think of is expanding businesses such as taverns but I am not sure that requires players to "settle down" anywhere specific.

Is there any reason why a player would make their home in a village when there are metropolises available (ignoring costs etc)?

Comments

• Personal preference. Ease of access to hunting grounds and content that may not be available in other places. A long list of reasons. But sure, I can see those lacking in drive and imagination sticking to "safer" more developed areas. I think the lack of fast travel will help with that also. Many factors.
  • I don't mind the thought of people congregating in the specific nodes, I like to be on the fringe and explore and find new stuff. People staying in the large nodes gives me a chance to gather/explore/hunt/pick off stragglers or mules without much concern for a large amount of people hunting me. Worse case scenario I spend some time migrating to town to look for a group. Best case scenario I find something new and recruit people to come do it...

Also if I can plop my freehold down in a secluded area of forest in an opening near a river I'll be happy... Maybe greet people with an arrow or an ale. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Actual I think it will be a mixture of both.
    • Guilds will want sole control over a node to be run as they deem they should be run. Well, the guild leadership anyway. Their disciples will merely be sheep. So I expect guilds to spread far and fast to snap up nodes like players snap up limited housing.
    • The freelance players with no allegiance to guilds will go wherever life is best. That would no doubt be the node that is run in their interest. These players will shop around or migrate until they find a home.
    • The hyper casual players, with no time to shop round, will probably dive into the nearest node or the most popular one on the internet.
  • Some people might want to live as far away from certain people as possible too :3
  • Some people might want to live as far away from certain people as possible too :3
    I know that feeling 
  • I don't mind the thought of people congregating in the specific nodes, I like to be on the fringe and explore and find new stuff. People staying in the large nodes gives me a chance to gather/explore/hunt/pick off stragglers or mules without much concern for a large amount of people hunting me. Worse case scenario I spend some time migrating to town to look for a group. Best case scenario I find something new and recruit people to come do it...

Also if I can plop my freehold down in a secluded area of forest in an opening near a river I'll be happy... Maybe greet people with an arrow or an ale. 

I totally agree, and think that most people would value exploration quite highly but I was mostly curious about how the economy/play style of smaller nodes will fare once metropolises are up and running. Will people feel like they are missing out on buffs and good markets by not being a resident/citizen in one? Or will there be some incentive to still populate a smaller town?

Also given how dragons etc seem to follow nodes with higher population/more activity, residents of such nodes may be exposed to more "cool" events at their doorstep that those in more rural nodes may "miss out".

I should mention that I think metropolises SHOULD be much more populated than other nodes and I love the idea of "ghost" nodes or very low population ones that are locked out of leveling by neighboring ones. But of course, there is a fine balance and I do hope that there is some decent player density (in terms of residence) outside of metropolises.