Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AOC competitive play

I want to hear your opinion on AOC in term of competitive gameplay.
We already know that there is a point system in the arena but as far as I know that for separately for each server. Could studio implement that to also apply one big ladder that will connect all servers?
And if they can could there be a guild vs guild, also added to that competitive play?
And maybe we even get professional competitive for 1 Vs 1, team fight or even guild fight?
I would very much like to hear your opinions on it.

Comments

• Keep your twitcher e-sports bullshit confined to other genres. They are already bowing to pressure with the announcement of cross server arenas. The BR mode release for testing has only emboldened those who want to turn this into some Asian clone. Your "competitive gameplay" mantra does nothing for community building and focuses assets away from mmorpg play at the expense of pvp tribalism. You wanted opinions, there is mine.
  • Keep your twitcher e-sports bullshit confined to other genres. They are already bowing to pressure with the announcement of cross server arenas. The BR mode release for testing has only emboldened those who want to turn this into some Asian clone. Your "competitive gameplay" mantra does nothing for community building and focuses assets away from mmorpg play at the expense of pvp tribalism. You wanted opinions, there is mine.
    Indeed!   Most of us agree!
    Well thank you for your opinions
    I always love following you into a thread. Yes, we're not looking for the same reskinned crap to come out and the route ashes is going (and I'm fully behind it) classes aren't going to all be "balanced" with each class filling a role/niche would be hard to do any kind of 1v1 arena (and I'm happy about that). 

I believe you can initiate GvG already, I don't believe the arena system is going to be a focal point as they want pvp to occur naturally in the world. I could be wrong but that's the direction I see arena moving.
  • To be fair and put out my opinion also I don't want AOC to have competative for a few reasons. One of then because it will become more toxic. I'm sorry if I make anyone angry with this post
    First Battle Royale and now this ^^
  • man he only asked for thoughts lol yes you may disagree with this but if you start of with the word bullshit really puts you down as an individual. Don't get me wrong hate on the idea but do it in a more constructive manner and debate in a way where you not talking like the toxic bless community because you will find more people not supporting you due the unnecessary language    
  • I hope (and this should not sound negative) that they mark a few server as "dedicated PvP" at launch - that way all this "competitive pvp players" have a place to go and be happy.

Brutally honest as usual, have to agree though :3
  • Timrum said:
    I hope (and this should not sound negative) that they mark a few server as "dedicated PvP" at launch - that way all this "competitive pvp players" have a place to go and be happy.

Because they are always going to be try hards with too big APM 
     Such an open mind 
  • Form the alliance that holds most castles, nodes, keeps.
    Competitive
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    I don't see why there couldn't be a gladiator arena with groups or guilds fighting. Well as long as the game isn't balanced around those fights at least.
  • Theres a comment on ashes wiki that theyre even considering an equalized mode for arenas and/or bgs.
    https://aocwiki.net/PvP#Will_there_be_any_.E2.80.9Cequalized.E2.80.9D_PvP_in_this_game.3F_.28For_example.2C_zone_into_a_battleground.2C_everyone_with_equalized_stats.29.5B48.5D

Having an arena mode where only skill mattered would be awesome for competitive play and improving class balance.

I think the guildvguild competitive play will be more in the node system. Best guilds fighting for most productive nodes leadership. 

Having followed the team a bit I dont think 1v1 will be what the game is balanced around.
    Theyll more likely focus on 3v3, 5v5 or larger groups
  • Theres a comment on ashes wiki that theyre even considering an equalized mode for arenas and/or bgs.
    https://aocwiki.net/PvP#Will_there_be_any_.E2.80.9Cequalized.E2.80.9D_PvP_in_this_game.3F_.28For_example.2C_zone_into_a_battleground.2C_everyone_with_equalized_stats.29.5B48.5D

Having an arena mode where only skill mattered would be awesome for competitive play and improving class balance.

I think the guildvguild competitive play will be more in the node system. Best guilds fighting for most productive nodes leadership. 

Having followed the team a bit I dont think 1v1 will be what the game is balanced around.
    Theyll more likely focus on 3v3, 5v5 or larger groups
    Thank you a lot for a link
  • Competition is a double edged sword.
    On one hand it allows and encourages self improvement.
    On the other its just used as an exercise to humiliate others.
    For some its about being the best they can be.
    For some its about supremacy over the rest.
    One of these seeks to nurture and improve.
    One of these seeks to dominate and humiliate.

If you could isolate the toxic from the educational, PvP might be far more popular.
    Ironically competition is the exact opposite of cooperation and collaboration.
    It seeks to separate and isolate and replace one with another.
    Not the ideal methodology to create a community, just adversaries.

But an MMO would be rather shallow if it didnt reflect reality and allow things to go both good and bad.
    People will always have community affecting agendas that are destructive, self-destructive or mutually beneficial.
    These agendas are our future, and fight over its direction we must through consequence and choice.
    Some things are worth fighting for to the bitter end.
    A virtual home with virtual allies in an alternate reality is worth that price.
    A score board in just a game is not.

Meaningful combat. Intrepid loves it. We love it.
    Why replace it with a cheap instant gratification knock off ?
    The military nodes will use trial by combat for leadership.
    Enjoy.
  • Competition is a double edged sword.
    On one hand it allows and encourages self improvement.
    On the other its just used as an exercise to humiliate others.
    For some its about being the best they can be.
    For some its about supremacy over the rest.
    One of these seeks to nurture and improve.
    One of these seeks to dominate and humiliate.

If you could isolate the toxic from the educational, PvP might be far more popular.
    Ironically competition is the exact opposite of cooperation and collaboration.
    It seeks to separate and isolate and replace one with another.
    Not the ideal methodology to create a community, just adversaries.

But an MMO would be rather shallow if it didnt reflect reality and allow things to go both good and bad.
    People will always have community affecting agendas that are destructive, self-destructive or mutually beneficial.
    These agendas are our future, and fight over its direction we must through consequence and choice.
    Some things are worth fighting for to the bitter end.
    A virtual home with virtual allies in an alternate reality is worth that price.
    A score board in just a game is not.

Meaningful combat. Intrepid loves it. We love it.
    Why replace it with a cheap instant gratification knock off ?
    The military nodes will use trial by combat for leadership.
    Enjoy.
    Thank you a lot for that response
  • I think thats another good reason to have team size for PvP. It would then require people to learn to get along.

From my experience owpvp and pvp where you can hurt the playing experience of others are the types where dicks bloom.
    When youre fighting someone on the grounds of an arena you only learn by losing.

Also since forever people have fought and competed for the title of the best. Wouldnt arenas thus reflect reality?

The first part of the post seems good but then it gets filled with personal bias.
    If someome says PvPrs are toxic in general then maybe take another look at the posts by the nonPvPrs.

What makes people toxic isnt PvX but how they perceive the world.
    Do they want things for them and people alike or can they see situations from multiple points of view.
  • Bountyhunters !!!
  • I play MMOs to gear up, customize, and fight/troll in PvP...... preferably large scale open world PvP where I can hide like the coward I am. No focus on arena/instance PvP.
  • I would love competitive play and for those who don't want to take part, don't. There's plenty of other stuff to do in the game.
    Anyways, I've started a competitive pvp discord for ashes. Feel free to utilize it.
    https://discord.gg/vat3DF2

The game can become an esport if the community wills it, sort of like how guild wars 2 tried to force that but it didnt really "click" cuz the hype/demand wasnt there.

While my personal stance on the matter is neutral, your overly passionate attitude towards new ideas (on the border of toxicity) does, in your own words, nothing for community building.

In the end all content types should be welcome over time in an mmorpg, the more the merrier (within reason/boundaries) to cater to the vast playertypes, ensuring growth and longevity for this great game.

edited October 2018
    Nacario said:
    Keep your twitcher e-sports bullshit confined to other genres. They are already bowing to pressure with the announcement of cross server arenas. The BR mode release for testing has only emboldened those who want to turn this into some Asian clone. Your "competitive gameplay" mantra does nothing for community building and focuses assets away from mmorpg play at the expense of pvp tribalism. You wanted opinions, there is mine.

The game can become an esport if the community wills it, sort of like how guild wars 2 tried to force that but it didnt really "click" cuz the hype/demand wasnt there.

While my personal stance on the matter is neutral, your overly passionate attitude towards new ideas (on the border of toxicity) does, in your own words, nothing for community building.

In the end all content types should be welcome over time in an mmorpg, the more the merrier (within reason/boundaries) to cater to the vast playertypes, ensuring growth and longevity for this great game.

the last game I loved that became an e-sport was dawn of war 3 and that killed off the franchise. so yes I agree with UnknownSystemError Keep E-sports away from my games.
  • nagash said:
    Nacario said:
    Keep your twitcher e-sports bullshit confined to other genres. They are already bowing to pressure with the announcement of cross server arenas. The BR mode release for testing has only emboldened those who want to turn this into some Asian clone. Your "competitive gameplay" mantra does nothing for community building and focuses assets away from mmorpg play at the expense of pvp tribalism. You wanted opinions, there is mine.

the last game I loved that became an e-sport was dawn of war 3 and that killed off the franchise. so yes I agree with UnknownSystemError Keep E-sports away from my games.
    E-sport didn't kill Dawn of War 3
    Dawn on war destoryed his own game, I mean the first game and dlc where amazing
  • I don't think Ashes should be an MMO that tries to eventually cater to every need. We live in a world with so many options that if there is something you desire from a game, and Ashes doesn't have it, there are always other games.

I am okay with BG and Arena leadership boards. All other leadership boards and competitive play (besides the current state of PvP) imo does not add to the game or community enough of a benefit to spend time and resources on.

Like @UnknownSystemError I am open minded to a lot of new concepts, I just don't think they should all be crammed into Ashes. :wink:
  • @Azathoth What new would you say they need to develop to cater competitive pvp besides what theyre already working at?

Whats on their workboard will most likely be enough, and if that path kept growing obviously theyll hire new staff to try and make those people keep playing.
  • Please, no E-Sports crap!  Leave that to the other (shallow) titles.

In this world, if you want to stroke your E-peen, you can rise up the leader board of who collected the most bounties, who has accumulated the most wealth, who makes the most badass weapons or armor, etc.

A large portion of us backed this title because it promised to bring back the traditional MMO where you got ahead by play skill, making discoveries and putting in effort, not a Credit Card.
  • Personal opinion. If you don't like the competitive play you shouldn't be playing an MMO. Sit in a circle and sing Kumbaya
    edited October 2018
    First and foremost I play videogames to have fun. When I stop having fun, I stop playing. I don't NEED to win to have fun, but it helps. I'm more about enjoying the game aspects and people I play with.

Yet part of that fun is being competitive, but for me there's a line.

I'll use a game we all should be familiar with as an example, Overwatch. I was stoked for this game. I played the hell out of TF2 and Overwatch seemed to be a spiritual successor. But I just couldn't get in to the competitive scene because the community was (and still is) filled with complete garbage. I got tired of hearing people piss and moan because they took themselves way to serious, so I quit all together. It's a game, have fun. 

The rot that took hold in competitive play leaked down into Quick Play. And I feel like that's a symptom of how much the eSports scene was crammed down our throats with Overwatch. People just take it way to seriously, like the angry dad at Little League games who yells at the umpire because they think their 11yr old is going pro. The interesting thing is, you didn't see this in TF2. Maybe it was a different time in gaming, but I think it's because the competitiveness of the game grew organically with the players. There was no official "pro league". What existed was players forming their own teams and running their own.

So on the one hand, competition makes gaming fun, but then people tend to way over do it and it mucks up the community. AoC is going to need a good community if it hopes to achieve what it wants to. 

This is why I advocate allowing competition to be managed by the players. Let guilds set up their own seiges, their own wars. Let PvP come organically when possible. Give the arena group their arenas and rankings for ePeen points, but allow the players the freedom to still create competitive content of their own.
    edited October 2018
    Well, why not. If the game will have nice combat and mechanics. Toxicity? Heh, this is an MMO, it will be toxic and it already is, deal with it.

It is about ppl and trust me. MMO players are the most worst kind of ppl in game industry. I can deal with it, try it too.