Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Would you like to see headshots in the final version of the game.

Comments

• Headshots belong in FPS games, not in MMORPG's.
  • Yes, I want true action combat! please keep this in! It is more fun to be able to do more damage and aim correctly. People that are against it just are not good at "shooters". but I say to them, then go tab target, intrepid is giving you that option as well.
  • Sgtfire said:
    Yes, I want true action combat! please keep this in! It is more fun to be able to do more damage and aim correctly. People that are against it just are not good at "shooters". but I say to them, then go tab target, intrepid is giving you that option as well.
    Aiming with a bow from a 100m is an advantage melee won’t have. Yet should a sword swing hit multiple hotboxes?
  • it would basically force everyone to play ranged its a terrible idea
  • Kalez said:
    Sgtfire said:
    Yes, I want true action combat! please keep this in! It is more fun to be able to do more damage and aim correctly. People that are against it just are not good at "shooters". but I say to them, then go tab target, intrepid is giving you that option as well.
    Aiming with a bow from a 100m is an advantage melee won’t have. Yet should a sword swing hit multiple hotboxes?
    You realize you can switch weapons right?
  • McCheese said:
    it would basically force everyone to play ranged its a terrible idea
    you dont know that yet, and thats the nice thing about alpha's and beta's, we can test it. untill you have tested it you cant say that this would be the case.
  • Can't really headshot with magic, the results will be the same regardless.
  • I first voted No because i didnt see a way to balance it properly but i guess after some discussions i kinda changed my opinion.
    Most people seem to automatically asume a headshot is basically a oneshot which it doesnt have to be.  Just a bit more damage when you hit the head could reward skillfull players and give them the slide edge in fights while not making it a " oh what killed me, fiesta".
     in the end its just a question of balancing, which with all the tab target/action combot will be kinda difficult to get right and i am not sure if its worth the time. but if they already have a plan to make it work i thing it could be a new and good feature to the game.

• My first concern is with getting the lag/latency right for even basic action combat much less more specific aiming at specific body parts.  Second I've played countless hours of shooter games from CS:GO to The Division etc etc... If I wanted that combat style I'd just play one of those games.  I'm here because I want something different with my combat.  
  • Aiming for a head (brain) is normally the fastest way to rake done oponetop, so in  AOC, game that involves skills it wouldn't be any different to see it
  • I find it unnecessary, unless the core mechancis of the game are based around attacking different limbs in general, with armor designed to protect against these mechanics.

Until I know more it's hard to comment, but my general feeling is that headshots are not needed.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited September 2018
    Yes, but i'd like the increased damage to scale off the headgear the enemy wears. An Arrow probably can't pierce Heavy gear easily so a headshot would deal less damage to immobile, but tanky classes and would not result in ranged being op against tanks, but scale harder against leather or no headgear since those classes can most likely burst down a ranged character pretty easily if they get in range or can land headshots as well. Also to hit mobile classes requires a lot of skill if the game keeps action combat a headshot doing good damage is well deserved. Just my opinion
  • head shot ^^

• Yes, if headshot would count as a critical DMG, the game would be much more about skill rather than gear,
  • As I see more and more suggestions on how to make this game I come to the realization I just hope IntrepidStudios sticks with what they have intended the game to be. 
  • Can we have some skill as well as gear in MMO
    Thanks.
  • From the live stream sounds like head shots are just critical hits for action combat, and for the tab targeting users the critical hits will be baked into the hit/damage calculation (chance of happening).
    I feel head shots are fine as long as they can do something about all the aim-botts that plague other shooter games (*Cough*Planetside2*Cough* and others). And... and.. shrink potions are not allowed, or another ability that actively shrinks the players avatar making it almost impossible for head shots to be achieved.
  • This is easy, and already addressed in the latest livestream.

Action combat = headshots and critical spots.
    Tab combat = crit% baked into all attacks and spells like typical MMOs

Have a bow? Shoot them in the head for your crit.
    Have a sword? Swing it at the enemy with your normal 24%-35% crit chance
    Have a spell? Same as sword. Or aim your spell at their crit spot.
  • Krojak said:
    Just pretend they are all cannibals in the forest? :tongue: heh
  • I don’t like hit locations in a game where characters are different shapes and sizes.  I feel like it could give different races an unintentional disadvantage.
  • Shoklen said:
    Krojak said:
    Just pretend they are all cannibals in the forest? :tongue: heh
    Where do you think my practice is coming from?
  • Will heads roll?
    If not, no
  • Just no.
  • If they can make it work and like how they balanced it I don't see why not. 
  • As they are simply just your standard critical hits, it should be fine. Don't think getting one shotted will be a thing outside of the BR combat tests
  • Thinking on this more.. I would be more for it if I could also headshot in PvE... Deer, Bear, Bunnies.. Dragons.. ect.. I could be down for that.. Muahah!
  • I throw a fire ball at someone I never want to be notified that I got a headshot, as I could not care less.
    I want this MMO to be separated from FPSS games.
    Also if people can one hit in pvp, with any spell or weapon, I've avoiding pvp forever.
    Nothing more cowardly and boring than a snipers lucky one shot.
    edited September 2018
    I have a question how much additional bonus damage is actually a headshot currently?
    3x or 4x
    I think it should be 1.75x or 2x
    edited September 2018
    I throw a fire ball at someone I never want to be notified that I got a headshot, as I could not care less.
    I want this MMO to be separated from FPSS games.
    Also if people can one hit in pvp, with any spell or weapon, I've avoiding pvp forever.
    Nothing more cowardly and boring than a snipers lucky one shot.
    I think the idea of action crit is based on 'precision' targetting.
    A fireball is hardly precision targetting any more than chucking a kitchen sink at someone. ;)

If you miss with an arrow it still misses, if you miss with a sink it will probably still hit unless you were way off target.
  • Poll should have asked, how many of those that prefer action combat want headshots.