Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

The one thing BDO did right - Climbing

By the title, yes.  It is intended to be subjective, and no, I am not a BDO "hater".  I still play the game, albeit mega-casually now, having been burned by Kakao one too many times.

One thing, besides the combat system, that sets BDO apart from many open world MMORPG's is the fact your character is able to scale walls, mountains, hills, and other terrain by latching onto a ledge and hoisting him/herself upwards.  This seemingly minute facet of the game really does add a considerable amount of depth to the game, as you are able to access points of view, able to take multiple routes to a destination, and is...well...fun (to me) and adds to the realism / immersion of the game, especially in the realm of exploration.  I've taken a good amount of beautiful in-game screenshots using this mechanic, to access gorgeous POV's.

I got back into Guild Wars 2, and while leveling new characters, this one aspect struck me the hardest.  Traversing the map without a mount is a quaint romp (the map is detailed nicely enough to make for a beautiful in-game world IMO, though, without state-of-the-art graphics), but you are severely limited to horizontal movement / pre-determined paths - you can't climb up ledges!  Can't make your own way around the map on foot.  Sure, some areas will be too high, or whatever, but not being able to make it up a three foot ledge because your character can't jump high enough is a pain and totally breaks my immersion, in the exploration aspect.

Watching gameplay from livestreams, it appears "climbing" or "scaling up terrain" is not implemented.  Is this something that will be considered?  Or will we, the players, be restricted to strictly horizontal movement when on foot? Just a random thought.  Maybe adding gear / items to allow the scaling of terrain could be implemented?

Exploration is an important part of an open world MMORPG (to me...not sure if this statement is subjective or not), and climbing was one of the things that made exploring BDO's beautifully fleshed out, but quickly burned out, map a true joy and wonder.  Just trying to point out anything I can before the game's release.  Sorry if I offended anyone.  Have a good day.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018

" The one thing BDO did right - Climbing "

let me stop you right here - the only thing BDO did was to look pretty ... and thats it

EDIT: I only respect them for making a Custom-Engine that no other Game nor MMORPG has - that alone, is noteworthy

• Arkero said:
     " ... Maybe adding gear / items to allow the scaling of terrain could be implemented? ... "
    The irony in this quote is sooo strong  xD

I'd say no 
    •  it'll create a Meta that'll be unavoidable 
    • Farm Spots for those Gear ( instanced or Open-World )  
    • likely, not New User Friendly ( for those new players who practically know nothing about the game )

Climbing is under great discussion between the Devs - in fact, Climbing was discussed multiple times in recent LiveStreams ... and was 1st mentioned on 05/15/2017 LiveStream 
    • as of now, its ultimately undecided
    • But if unable to Freely climb any & everything ... then there will be " qseudo-climbing " OR " parkour climbing ...  I forget exactly what was said, but ...
    • In short, at the very least, there will be Quests that involves Climbing ... and possibly temporary climbing

I'm hoping for Climbing Freely without restrictions  o:)o:)o:)o:)
  • How many times does Jeffrey have to beat this horse till it is tenderized enough for you. There will be climbing mechanics, in certain situations and areas. They have stated at least 3 times due to different constraints that there will not be free climbing anywhere you please.
  • The animations should be 10 times slower and there should be a danger element.
  • The animations should be 10 times slower and there should be a danger element.
    Fall damage is my bane in D&D
    edited October 2018
    Eragale said:

" The one thing BDO did right - Climbing "

let me stop you right here - the only thing BDO did was to look pretty ... and thats it

EDIT: I only respect them for making a Custom-Engine that no other Game nor MMORPG has - that alone, is noteworthy

The combat system of actual physical button combos was refreshing. The combat and mechanics themselves were well done too, even if they were too hyper-mobile to allow for a real game to take place. The profession and node system were also things the game did well. BDO just lacked purpose. And an endgame, which, for many is the purpose part.

But anyway, climbing is definitely going to be implemented to some extent. You won’t go hopping up to a ledge and find that your torso just keeps bumping forward into it, stumped by the easy task of climbing over it.
  • Climbing, I still have fond memories of my above average sized tamer scaling steps at pirate island that other characters took normaly. Looked hillarious I tell you that.
    edited October 2018
    The Bards view is that such abilities enables you access to areas you shouldnt be. And then you get into problems they have to fix because you shouldnt have been there anyway.

But they see a time and place for it. Where the balance lies, we will find out in due course.

Myself. I'd love to go anywhere and everywhere I can use physical skills to access. Up mountains, under lakes, through waterfalls or any where else that intrigues me. If I see a mouse keep disappearing through a hole i the side of the mountain, I want to investigate and find out why its doing that and where its going ;)
  • SaintJ said:

Just a mechanic for climbing on top of a rock or fence that's just a little to high to jump over. 
    Exactly.
    edited October 2018
    Eragale said:
    Arkero said:
     " ... Maybe adding gear / items to allow the scaling of terrain could be implemented? ... "

I'd say no 
    • likely, not New User Friendly ( for those new players who practically know nothing about the game )

Climbing is under great discussion between the Devs - in fact, Climbing was discussed multiple times in recent LiveStreams ... and was 1st mentioned on 05/15/2017 LiveStream 
    • But if unable to Freely climb any & everything ... then there will be " qseudo-climbing " OR " parkour climbing ...  I forget exactly what was said, but ...
    • In short, at the very least, there will be Quests that involves Climbing ... and possibly temporary climbing

Just to make it up obstacles that you or I could climb IRL, like a rock or a fence.  I'm not talking about Spiderman type climbing.  For that, maybe a quest or some sort, w/e.  Just being able to realistically and reasonably climb.  Unlike in GW2 where your character's shins get wrecked trying to make it up a 3 ft. rock.

Nothing crazy here.  No need to panic, guys.
  • I do hope being able to climb up ledges to reach different vantage points in PvP or making it part of a dungeon is implemented by launch.  I would love to relive the days of scaling walls with my infiltrator in DAoC to eliminate casters and quickly escape becomes a reality.
    edited October 2018
    Sikuba said:
    " The combat system of actual physical button combos was refreshing. The combat and mechanics themselves were well done too, even if they were too hyper-mobile to allow for a real game to take place. The profession and node system were also things the game did well. BDO just lacked purpose. And an endgame, which, for many is the purpose part. "
    If i wanted to play hack-&-slash games, I'd play a Single Player game. Hack-&-Slash is not fitting for an MMORPG - why do you think BDO's PvE was so bland & non-existent ? 

... it because " that " is what Hack-&-Slash is - the Player will always be stronger than every NPC Opponent - thats why its boring

The NPC dumb A.I. are only pravelent on Hack-&-Slash games - thats why it wasn't challenging, thats why it was non-existent  AND thats why the PvE lacked purpose ...

... BECAUSE OF HACK-&-SLASH ...
    literally everything you just said only furthered proved my point

There's nothing new nor refreshing about Hack-&-Slash Games - thats why there's
    Online ARPGs for that T.T

( or Co-Op Online ARPGs )

EDIT: or Single-Player Games
  • SaintJ said:
    " ... I agree, that the way BDO set that up made the entire game feel more immersive ...
    Thats just the unique,custom Engine + interesting manipulation of Brightness & Darkened-Shaders - which is why its definitely noteworthy. 
    • i.e. The Engine makes it immersive. And the Brightness mixed with the Darkened Shaders adds emphasis to that immersion 
    Honestly, @SaintJ & @Sikuba ... you're just re-iterating what i just said :0
  • @SaintJ
    passive aggressive on a forum ?
    Actually ... don't  
  • Eragale said:

@SaintJ , you're an Alpha Stress Tester, you know what i mean. When NDA drops, @Arkero will know too 

.. almost uncanny tbh 

edited October 2018
    Eragale said:
    SaintJ said:
    " ... I agree, that the way BDO set that up made the entire game feel more immersive ...
    Thats just the unique,custom Engine + interesting manipulation of Brightness & Darkened-Shaders - which is why its definitely noteworthy. 
    • i.e. The Engine makes it immersive. And the Brightness mixed with the Darkened Shaders adds emphasis to that immersion 
    Honestly, @SaintJ & @Sikuba ... you're just re-iterating what i just said :0
    How is anything that I said remotely close to what you have said on this thread? I didn't mention the graphics in the slightest.

Eragale said:
    Sikuba said:
    " The combat system of actual physical button combos was refreshing. The combat and mechanics themselves were well done too, even if they were too hyper-mobile to allow for a real game to take place. The profession and node system were also things the game did well. BDO just lacked purpose. And an endgame, which, for many is the purpose part. "
    literally everything you just said only furthered proved my point

There's nothing new nor refreshing about Hack-&-Slash Games - thats why there's
    Online ARPGs for that T.T

( or Co-Op Online ARPGs )

EDIT: or Single-Player Games
    I pretty clearly was not complementing the "hack-&-slash" aspect of the game, rather, I was saying that I liked the way abilities and combos were manually keyed in. It brought a level of complexity and skill to something that is typically just press X for X_spell to happen.

The way that some abilities chained better off certain spells than others also brought a new level of gameplay not often seen in other MMOs. Unfortunately, that great combat system was wasted on a repetitive, grindy endgame with enemies that, like you said, were dull and basic as AI.
  • Arkero said:
    Eragale said:
    Arkero said:

I'd say no 

Just to make it up obstacles that you or I could climb IRL, like a rock or a fence.  I'm not talking about Spiderman type climbing.  For that, maybe a quest or some sort, w/e.  Just being able to realistically and reasonably climb.  Unlike in GW2 where your character's shins get wrecked trying to make it up a 3 ft. rock.

Nothing crazy here.  No need to panic, guys.
    Well....why didnt you just say that :tongue:

True story. In ESO they made some modification to the game engine where you could no longer run/ride without hitting an obstacle every 10 yards and coming to a standstill again. Not one f*** was given about ESO that day I can tell you.
    lul