Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Gay marriage possible in AoC EU with My.com being a Russian company?

13»

Comments

• Imo it'd be dumb to remove for other regions. What if two straight people both have same sex toons but still want to have them marry. Whatever you are irl shouldn't make a difference.
  • Crymoar said:
    Dygz said:
    Real life social issues are inherent to video games - especially RPGs.
    If an RPG has gender-locked classes and roles, that intrinsically impacts real life.
    If RPGs exclude real life races, the way Asian games often exclude black people, that intrinsically impacts real life.
    Equality and fair representation of diversity is important for all mass media entertainment.
    Not dragging "real life social issues" into your games indicates you have the privilege of being a member of a demographic that always has adequate representation in mass media entertainment.
    I'm really thinking more about in game chat with political debates raging and dominating general chat.  I'd rather see Node chat ( see a couple of posts above).

I stand by what I said.  I'd really like to, in this instance, just take the in game marriage system completely out of the game and just let people who role play pretend what they want to pretend.

We will be having in game Node v Node conflicts and in game elections to govern the node.  Let's just keep it at that and move on.
    I have to say.. there might be some players who really enjoy that aspect of the game. It would make their playtime more enjoyable. Such an easy feature to implement, would be harmless. So removing it could ruin some players experience. But hey what do I know.. I'm just a fisherman
  • Atama said:
    Sintu said:

Only point of sex is to reproduce.
    You might be “doing it” wrong.   :p
    I can't be arsed explaining the science behind sex but yes from a species point of view, pleasure has nothing to do with it.
    You probably can’t be arsed because you have no idea what you’re talking about.  Here’s some easy reading:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexual_behaviour

Multiple species exhibit sexual behavior outside of reproduction.  The urge toward sexual behavior comes from neurohormones (especially dopamine) that also stimulate the pleasure centers of the brain.  From an evolutionary standpoint it acts to encourage reproduction and in so doing, species survival.  But on an individual level, it’s most certainly about seeking pleasure, whether that means from the act itself or satisfying the urge to reproduce and have offspring (the biological imperative).  Either way it is always a pursuit of some kind of pleasure.

As to the comments about gods being “logical beings”, it is very logical to use pleasure as an incentive to direct human behavior.  Whether that is to incentivize worship, or make followers attack those that displease you, or form a culture that you prefer.  Pleasure and fear are the “carrot and stick” a divine being would use to control people.  Remember that people aren’t robots or puppets but have free will and need to be goaded, not forced.

Lol I know some animals are gay, because I understand the science behind sexuality and that we have no gods.
    If gods existed, there would be no homosexuality.
  • Dygz said:
    It depends on whether or not the world in Ashes of creation has gods.
    If the gods clearly exist, there wont be homosexuality, as it makes no logical sense if the gods made everyone.
    Only point of sex is to reproduce.
    The gods didn't make everyone.
    Sex is not the only point of marriage.

Ummm gay sex is the main point of gay marriage.
    Cause straight guys don't marry other guys, see how that works.
  • Ummm gay sex is the main point of gay marriage.
    Cause straight guys don't marry other guys, see how that works.
    You do know you can "do it" before marriage right? My edited comment disappeared into the ether, but was basically there is far more to marriage than religious or sexual reasons. Its been bastardized from being a 'holy joining' for centuries. In fact I'd argue the more important reason people marry today is for the social aspect.
  • Most female avatars a played by heterosexual males any way. The whole marriage issue inevitably ends up as 2 straight dudes getting married for an in-game buff, not the real world politics. All the symbolism could be achieved by the players and not officially supported by development.

The less PC social justice real world politics in games the better as far as I am concerned.

So I would agree that leaving official marriage support out would be better.

• I don't see the problem of two dudes marrying each other out of convenience either. Technically the only thing marriage is, is a contract to love and support eachother. Who says you can't do that platonic-ally? Also if you want to have a big family and be non-gay-gay-married you can adopt, just like normal gay people.
  • We are still talking about a game yeah ? I really doubt an in game marriage system is a problem for anybody as long as it won't grant some exclusive boosts and even then it's not like you cant grab someone and get the bonuses too.
  • We are still talking about a game yeah ? I really doubt an in game marriage system is a problem for anybody as long as it won't grant some exclusive boosts and even then it's not like you cant grab someone and get the bonuses too.
    In AoC, all marriages are open.
  • Polygamous marriages too?
  • I typically don't even like reading these threads because the emotions are always so high on both sides, but...

Based on the original question, I'm very curious... How would Russia police fictional marriages in a game, or even care?
  • As long as in game marriage (gay or strait) does not grant any bonuses to stats, abilitys, tax breaks etc then im not concerned.
  • Why not just call it a "Friendship Bonding" and eliminate all of the sexual, RW religious connotations, judgments, political hangups, etc... out of it entirely?
  • Why not just call it a "Friendship Bonding" and eliminate all of the sexual, RW religious connotations, judgments, political hangups, etc... out of it entirely?
    Because there is no problem, just people making up shit to complain about which is irrelevant to the topic.