Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Immersion Subversion

So there you are, playing Games of Thrones, then I ride up on a horse-sized duck. Immersion?
So there you are, playing like it's Lord of the Rings, when all of a sudden you are attacked by a guy on a pink flamingo unicorn. Immersion?
So there you are, then dinosaur. Immersion?
So there.. bush.

See what I'm saying? 

Comments

• If you are saying you don't want cosmetics outside of the game's universe then I would say to infinity and beyond, may the force be with us.

• immersion
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    No, I mean there is no immersion. When a guy from the Boston Tea Party can ride a dinosaur uhmm what immersion? There isn't any.

Let's say you're at your blacksmith shop and a guy on a four-legged dolphin rides up asking for a sword. Uhm... what?
  • Dimensional magic brought over some weird shit...
  • You mean like orcs riding motorcycles (wow)?
    yeah hate that immersion breaking stuff.
  • I'm still confused though, where is this concern coming from? Is there immersion breaking cosmetics planned in game? With Steven's recent remarks about in game holidays it feels like they're taking immersion seriously no?
  • I think its more of a fear of eventually happening, like it has in other mmos.
    Id agree though, I see nothing thus far that has broken immersion.
  • Don't ruin my chances of getting giant sparkly wings and a tight thong.
  • #bushesneedlovingtoo

Actually I dont consider an inanimate object immersion breaking in the way of some of the things suggested.
    The 3rd person just sees a typical standard game object where its expected to be.
    Seeing an inanimate object is not the same as seeing an animate one.
    [dont mention the walking gigantic toadstools...shhhh!]

Seriously though, I dont expect to see stuff that doesnt belong.
    Because stuff that doesnt belong is immersion breaking.
    Like jet fighters in a stone age environment.
  • see I blame devs for putting these items in the game to start off with more than the players.
  • Since most games add un-immersive stuff it's natural that people fear for that to happen in AoC, got to have a bit of trust in the devs :>
  • Since most games add un-immersive stuff it's natural that people fear for that to happen in AoC, got to have a bit of trust in the devs :>
    Is that a wild stuffington I see 

• I agree with you
  • Agreed. Riding a giant teddy bear is enough I should think. I do not mind dinosaurs if they are in the game, in fact I do not mind riding any critter as long as it is a creature in the game. Regarding immersion breaking though, things get a little obnoxious when it is something like the chopper from wow...perfect example of something that could of been alright except for the fact that it is noisy 24/7. There is that fine line between acceptable and breaking....if I can turn around and not look at it cool, if I have to turn my sound down just to be around the mount then it is 100% out for me.
  • It depends... Stuffertons was said to be a concept art and will hopefully be a bit more live bear like(maybe like brown panda-ish kind of fluffy feel) with a few open seems... I just hope he won't be sounding like a squeeky toy when he roars or jumps...

The thing that kind of ticked me off was the five headed goose/swan... like srsly? That whole months cosmetics were a bit surreal...
  • Love it when people force their subjective views on "immersion" disregarding what is lore in the world.
    Twice people mentioned wow's chopper while disregarding gnomeregan. The city is not just a thing, but gnomes very base of technological existence.
    Gnomes can build tanks, a mechanical city, a tube connecting two cities. They can build fucking giant moving robots that walk, fight, and do all sorts of silly things?!?!?!, wormhole devices and crapton more but the moment you can ride a mechanical mount?

"uuuggghhhh  this is so immersion breaking" q-q

It's not immersion breaking, it just doesn't suit your subjective taste. Don't hold immersion hostage for your prefered aesthetics.
    Same for stuffertoon. You don't like it? Fine, nothing wrong with that, but it is not immersion breaking. His existence was explained and based on a magican tradition. It's lore for Verra and a normal sight for that world.
  • Well, we are playing Ashes of Creation, so it's not really possible for other players to appear with anything that is immersion-breaking. If it's in the game, it's part of the lore.

And if players start ranting about stuff not supported by the game, it's easy enough to RP them as being insane.

Should be pretty difficult to break immersion as described in the OP in a high fantasy setting.
    Because magic.
  • nagash said:
    Since most games add un-immersive stuff it's natural that people fear for that to happen in AoC, got to have a bit of trust in the devs :>

Dont say shit about the god of cuteness
  • nagash said:
    Since most games add un-immersive stuff it's natural that people fear for that to happen in AoC, got to have a bit of trust in the devs :>

Dont say shit about the god of cuteness
    I just wanted to play a game of catch 
  • Stuffington serves a noble purpose.
    His inclusion helps to encourage pvp in the world as anyone caught riding such an atrocity sould immediately be slaughtered on sight.
  • Pop culture has no place in MMOs.
    if they're smart this is basic knowledge.
  • Arxeon said:
    Stuffington serves a noble purpose.
    His inclusion helps to encourage pvp in the world as anyone caught riding such an atrocity sould immediately be slaughtered on sight.
    We shall name him the murder bear 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    nagash said:
    Arxeon said:
    Image result for pedo bear
  • nagash said:
    Arxeon said:
    oh god that brings a whole new meaning to "stuffing"
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    Arxeon said:
    LMAO this is dark even for our lord of undeath
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:
    Arxeon said:
    Get some ehh undead deceny ? fucking degenerate....corpse? 
  • Immersion is a fairly subjective concept.  You enter a fantasy world with magical forces where anything is possible, why should a teddy bear that you have given line and chose to ride around the world break your immersion?  I've seen similar complaints about people walking around in gaudy unnatural armor wielding weapons that are larger than the player.  I personally find being restricted to realistic cosmetics or anything you could find in the real world far more immersion breaking.
  • sunfrog said:
    So there you are, playing Games of Thrones, then I ride up on a horse-sized duck. Immersion?
    So there you are, playing like it's Lord of the Rings, when all of a sudden you are attacked by a guy on a pink flamingo unicorn. Immersion?
    So there.. bush.

See what I'm saying? 

I think this Frog has had had too much sun. I need to go get @Umji to sort you out(I mean, help you).  
  • I completely agree with the OP, minus the bush part, I don't quite follow that one.

I'd love to see a feature in AoC to turn off cosmetics. I doubt they'd do it and I'm not sure I'd use it all the time but it would probably silence the fairly large crowd of players that are concerned with immersion-breaking. 🍕🐀
  • Kratz said:
    sunfrog said:
    So there.. bush.

See what I'm saying? 

I think this Frog has had had too much sun. I need to go get @Umji to sort you out(I mean, help you).  
    give me a few cups of tea and I will do it myself ^^