Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PvP

So far have only a few videos as resource for what the PvP in game will consist of- not quite sure if its accurate. Big fan of Elder Scrolls Online PvP where the open world has objectives that have rewards for taking them and holding them (alliance points as well as rewards of gear) This allows for players who are looking for just PvP to level up and have a very, very large area with constant objectives to take, to have PvP without needing to flag on someone who is trying to grind levels or gather. In other words PvE and PvP are made to be a choice the player makes when they attain max level and each can progress with gear and play in those areas exclusively. Good end game content in my opinion.

I have only found a few references to the PvP in AOC so it may not be accurate, but it sounds a bit like PvE mastery and constant maintenance (not fighting, but PvE) will be something you have built into game to do PvP.  Played Black Desert Online and found the PvP to be "gatherers and farmers" who PvP'ed in blocks of couple of hours one time a week, but really just players who spent 12 hours a day sending workers to build stuff all day long while they gathered and processed stuff. You could flag to PvP, but only to ease the HUGE burden of grinding levels as the equipment won fights- not the skill of the player. Very much not my thing.

Could you elaborate on what the PvP concept is for the game a bit so I can know if this is heading in a direction a player like me and my guild might enjoy? Not sure if its clear, but looking for huge open world without having to flag on farmers and gatherers (that is ganking people or slowing down a miserable grind for levels and gear in my opinion) that has objectives that reward players for fighting and winning, utilizing strategy along the way to dominate a map. To give an idea of what I am speaking of Elder Scrolls Online uses this PvP system now if you have played it. Thanks for your time and look forward to seeing the game develop!

Comments

• I'll let @Jahlon handle this one. He should be along shortly.
  • ...and Unknown makes the tag and Jahlon jumps into the ring with a wall of incoming text..

No wait...

https://youtu.be/8im30KL_fWk

That spells out everything for you in a nice video format.

• The alley-oop is completed. The crowd goes wild.
  • Appreciate the link to video- very good stuff in there to be sure. Still have quite a few questions on the PvP and unfortunately the video doesn't really address all the questions I had regarding the design of the PvP and the direction the game will go. Sounds like (according to the video) its Black Desert Online with some caveats and interesting adjustments. Really wanting to find out if PvP will merely be things requiring guilds and done in blocks of say two hours one time weekly all being based on how many players you have that have maxed out PvE that are online to build all week long to 'set up' the sieges.

Rather enjoy the ability to open world even if I only have say one hour to play- some other set ups would preclude this style of play and you would be basically 'steered' to doing crafting/harvesting/questing rather than PvP as without constant maintenance of those aspects you couldn't really PvP. Death matches and arena's really are not the same experience in my opinion as say a large zone where combat is encouraged and rewarded, objectives are always under attack or being defended and one can log in and PvP for 30 min or 8 hours if so desired.

• Cainor said:

Appreciate the link to video- very good stuff in there to be sure. Still have quite a few questions on the PvP and unfortunately the video doesn't really address all the questions I had regarding the design of the PvP and the direction the game will go. Sounds like (according to the video) its Black Desert Online with some caveats and interesting adjustments. Really wanting to find out if PvP will merely be things requiring guilds and done in blocks of say two hours one time weekly all being based on how many players you have that have maxed out PvE that are online to build all week long to 'set up' the sieges.

Rather enjoy the ability to open world even if I only have say one hour to play- some other set ups would preclude this style of play and you would be basically 'steered' to doing crafting/harvesting/questing rather than PvP as without constant maintenance of those aspects you couldn't really PvP. Death matches and arena's really are not the same experience in my opinion as say a large zone where combat is encouraged and rewarded, objectives are always under attack or being defended and one can log in and PvP for 30 min or 8 hours if so desired.

I've read this a few times and I can honestly say I don't know what you're trying to ask? Like this?

Cainor said:

Really wanting to find out if PvP will merely be things requiring guilds and done in blocks of say two hours one time weekly all being based on how many players you have that have maxed out PvE that are online to build all week long to 'set up' the sieges.

It's open world PvP. You can go around and kill anyone any time. If you want you can just PvP. Now are you asking if you're going to have to PvE to be good at PvP? Well typically the progression of gear leans towards raid gear > all other gear. It'll be hard to make an argument for taking 40 people to kill something and that gear isn't the best gear. So yeah if you want better gear you'll have to PvE. I did submit the question for FAQ on Oct. 31st to ask if there will be a PvP progression where if you just did PvP if you'd be able to earn something that allows you to progress on the same level as group and raid gear provides but we don't know that yet. You'll have several different things to do as PvP. You'll have the ability to go around and just kill people, sack a caravan, siege castles, plus on top of all that with open world pvp you'll have things like arena and Guild V Guild etc.

Maybe I'm not reading it right or your not asking the right question. Either way I'm trying to figure what your asking exactly and I can't really understand it?

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2018
    TheCainor said:

Really wanting to find out if PvP will merely be things requiring guilds and done in blocks of say two hours one time weekly all being based on how many players you have that have maxed out PvE that are online to build all week long to 'set up' the sieges.

This was answered in the video:
    Castle sieges require guilds but the PvP is fairly constant if you wish because caravans are required to build up the defenses each week. How many hours of PvP that is per week depends on how many caravans people run - and how successful each run is.

But, nodes will also be running caravans for the resources needed to build up infrastructure and progress to the next stage.
    So, if you wish to focus on being a caravan raider, you can do so.

Maxing out PvE isn't really a thing.
    And there is plenty of horizontal progression to partake in after max adventurer level.
    Ashes of Creation is a PvX game.

I don't know that I would say there is a large zone where PvP combat is encouraged.
    But, yes, catapults and other siege engines will have to be crafted in order to participate in castle sieges and node sieges.
    Because it's a PvX game.
  • I think he's asking if he can just log in and join a battle ground and go at it with some meaningless pvp.  Also wants to progress by only pvping.

No.  Theres no pvp gear or pve gear or "pvp only progression"  The game is based around Zone control, economic trading and crafting.  All of these things will bring strife between the player base and pvp will be the catalyst for change!  Its a pvx game, so find some friends, join a guild and try to take over the world!  
  • Not this again....I think we should really get a FAQ for pvp
  • Eroenne said:
    so find some friends, join a guild and try to take over the world!  
    That does sound like a PvP game.
    yes please and then some can pin it so everyone reads it on pain of death
  • I think Steven mentioned he wanted the PvP to have meaning instead of "mindless PvP", which means log on, attack the first person that walks by, take their gear, and log off. Then rinse wash and repeat. I believe you could do that, but it will warrant corruption points on your character. Then a bounty could be established on your head, and bounty hunters can turn on a setting and locate you on their map, and next thing you know you've got 10 bounty hunters on your tail.
    Yes, a FAQ that people will fail to read and post their question in the forums anyway.
    Unfortunately there are many who can't or don't want to read but will provoke repeated controversy or mayhem in the forums.
    edited October 2018
    Not this again....I think we should really get a FAQ for pvp
    Unfortunately there are many who can't or don't want to read but will provoke repeated controversy or mayhem in the forums.
    On the face of death, we will make them read it! or failing that a week as a trainee butler under dave 
    edited October 2018
    Couple of you put up some points to answer partially the question, guess a lot has to do with if you played ESO and PvP there for a lot of what I mentioned to make sense.....But appreciate the bits that I am getting. As I mentioned the BDO type PvP fell well short of PvP stuff myself and the guild enjoy, so again....guessing its my ability to articulate the subtleties in each game and where they differ. There, (BDO) you would build all week long to be able to do nodes, to me this was more about forcing a crafting/PvE style of game-play to even do the PvP two hour blocks one time a week. Not that I dont want to do ANY PvE, but at a certain point would rather just PvP- That method required the constant maintenance of a rather complicated PvE play and hours of it to do ANY PvP unless you were planning on harassing new players at grind spots. Not enjoyable in my opinion. Someone touched on it a bit with saying you would not be able to progress in PvP alone for gear and development of the chars- Not looking for meaningless PvP, but also looking to not have crafting and PvE be the ONLY place you can get gear if the PvP will be gear based as some are now- so thanks for clearing that part up.
  • @Cainor
    I'm sure it was already mentioned but there is plans, as far as I'm aware, to have battleground/arena style PvP as well. Is that essentially what you'd be asking for? WoW style queue up and PvP?
  • Ashes of Creation has arenas.
    Ashes does not have a designated static battlegrounds like ESO.

The gear is PvX. 
    You won't have to do the crafting yourself.
    We really only obtain resources from PvP combat so someone will have to craft the gear.
    But, you get plenty of resources from PvP combat - if you win.

If you don't get it from what's already been said, you'll probably just have to wait and see how it looks once the mechanics are implemented.
  • As far as I can gather from what you're trying to say, you seem to want PvP options vs all PvP just having a singular goal outside of killing nerds for the sake of killing nerds. I am very much on the end of enjoying killing nerds and learning more advanced details and mechanics in the combat (which might not exist in this game lol). I'm guessing you dropped outta ESO too after the past year has been complete garbage for it so I'm gonna tell ya, chances are that PvP won't be entirely based on grind like you worry about BDO, but at the same time all of the PvP in the game isnt just gonna be people fuckin around and not caring about keeps (like all the skilled ESO players do, love those lads). Chances are there's a niche for both. Namely there's PvP enabled zones, and PvP is always enabled around caravans so you might get some good content out of those, and there's arenas, whatever those are. Nothing more to really say until there's more information on what kinda content they gonna offer those of us who just wanna obliterate nerds. Probably not gonna be its strong point though. It's main PvP audience is people who want that hot DRAMA which  I am also all for
  • Thanks for sharing what you guys already know- @myux yeah, ESO has changed now and guild is looking for new place to be, haven't left entirely just yet though. AOC seems to be a visually stunning game environment and this is a draw for me and others I have played along side of for years.  If PvP is somewhat like we experienced there (ESO) in the first five years....even a little bit of grinding can be dealt with. Sounds like the final fleshing out of what will happen and just how it will work is not quite out in the litmus just yet so I thank you all for sharing what you do know now regarding the PvP in game. Of course, if it looks like this in Alpha the hype for it will only build from here on in.