Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

My Fantasy of Seas and Oceans

If the Naval mechanics weren't the best, it surely won't make me not play the game, but still if its there, I want it at its best potential.

We all played a couple of MMOs with Naval gameplay but imho, none of them were that glamorous and for lack of a better word "good". 

I think what all of them miss is weather and more precisely monsoons or simply dynamic wind, for example, the wind at winter blows east strongest and summer blows west strongest. Combat in naval scenarios is always nice but to me that is not the bigger challenge I desire, I want just getting from point A to B to be hard and I want it to be harder at high level places where you might find glorious loot. 

Update: After fantasizing for days I decide it to make a guild around the idea of a structured navy

Join discord for more details: https://discord.gg/fxCaZVR

Comments

• I too hope Ashes lives up to your standards in naval combat, but I would be happy with any type of naval combat like you.

Also, welcome to the forums!
  • I hope they develop it enough to where it is more than just a means to an end. I guess it really depends on how much content they put at sea. If there is enough I'm sure they'll put more thought into it than just a simple cannon shots and hull durability system.
  • I really enjoyed Archeages ocean content, but the one thing I always wished they did was integrate weather in to it. Proper tacking when you are heading upwind, spinnakers for sailing downwind - maybe even providing a benefit to a ship in a confrontation that is holding the weather gage.

I don't see it happening at all in Ashes though, as doing it properly would be an immense task - as big as the rest of the game combined.
  • I had such a blast in Archeage with naval combat and would love to see something similar.

Steven has already mentioned that some of the ship physics may be simulated to avoid performance issues. Which is absolutely fine by me.

1. We know there are going to be different sizes of ships: small - large
    2. We will be able to customise ships through ship building (stream)
    3. Treasure hunting will exist
    4. Remember we will have aquatic mounts which was a KickStarter goal
    5. Trade Ships 
    6. Underwater Dungeons
    7. Raids

The Oceans are gonna be buuuuuuusy!

Remember this sneak peak too? OCEAN SNAP

That snap was last year so just goes to show that there is a lot of stuff Intrepid are working on behind the scenes!

Also we are going to have many stylised ships on the ocean! Can't wait!

I would love to see weather and seasons influence the oceans too! You could plan to travel only when the oceans are calm and clear or risk traversing on choppy waters, with potential threats lurking in the sea haze~

Oh yeah and fishing boats~
  • So, I've been playing sea of thieves the past few weeks. Now I think rare botched what that game could have been, due to lack of content and dumbed down graphics.

But they NAILED the boats and water mechanics.

Since it's the same engine (UR4), I hope that AoC has a very similar, if not the same mechanics for sailing.
  • As long as the physics is smooth and theres some form of long range artillery combat involved in naval combat i will be happy. I also hope theres potential to destroy boats as well.
  • I think if they can somehow link node development to aquatic areas that it would spur a robust trade(caravan of the sea)/piracy aspect to the game.
  • Mattchoo said:
    I think if they can somehow link node development to aquatic areas that it would spur a robust trade(caravan of the sea)/piracy aspect to the game.
    It was mentioned at PAX East during the Livestream that nodes would exist on some coastal areas and islands :3

Link:
    https://youtu.be/JH-sX1aFljM?t=1h01m28s
  • All interesting ideas!  I am hoping and it does seem like Intrepid is going to try to produce a dynamic sea faring experience for all those who venture there.  
    Naval combat, raids, quests,  trade routes( caravans),  hijacking of ships, and underwater dungeons supposedly are being planned.  With this all in mind it seems reasonable to think node development would be affected.  Underwater cavern towns? Island developments?  Also,  they have stated several times that the world would be dynamic, including the weather.  I can't see them being any different when developing life at sea.

Here's hoping!
  • I always enjoyed the Pirates of the Caribbean mmo. I remember having my buddy level up sailing while I leveled up cannoneer. Now the game was kinda.. simple but what they did have was multiple cannon shot types for different situations. They had normal cannon shot for hull, bola shots for destroying the mast, and grapeshot/shrapnel for targeting the crew. I thought this was a pretty cool system because it allowed you to disable the ship by destroying the mast if they were a little too nimble. The rest of the game was garbage though lol
  • Noaani said:
    I really enjoyed Archeages ocean content, but the one thing I always wished they did was integrate weather in to it. Proper tacking when you are heading upwind, spinnakers for sailing downwind - maybe even providing a benefit to a ship in a confrontation that is holding the weather gage.

I don't see it happening at all in Ashes though, as doing it properly would be an immense task - as big as the rest of the game combined.
    That is all am saying.. I just want that additional layer of depth to the naval loop
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    There's a giant octopus with combat knives that attacks ships both from above and below at the same time so it pretty much stabs you and your ship to death. It can also camouflage itself as an iceberg or island and attack you by surprise. Sometimes it also attacks sea ports since it can come on land a little bit. No one can kill it. They can only chase it away. It's too bad a** to kill.
  • Personally, I would not fuss if the whole "Oceanic and Naval" mechanics come in a later expansion. I am aware they promised it in their Kickstarter, but let's be honest here, it is an entirely new game and mechanics, does it not sound like a good idea to give them some time with it?
    Let's face it, they have their hands full with everything else. Adding an additional bucketload of features and systems, unique for the Oceanic nodes (not to mention a whole new set of nodes), that will have little to no equivilant in the mostly landlocked mainland.. maybe not so wise?
  • Yea, give them some time to add the ocean flavor. Also it would be nice if magic were to play a hand in the combat since there are going to be alot of magic classes. Like a special cannon that doesn't fire physical cannonballs but magical blasts depending on which magic user is in the firing chair.
  • ArcheAge laid out a good foundation for naval activities.  Had a lot of fun with their naval stuff back in the day.  As long as Ashes expands upon that and does it better, we should be in for a treat.  Hopefully they look at Sea of Thieves for some inspiration as well.

No hurry or anything, the land stuff should be as equally fun if not better.
  • I hope that they can make tides, winds, and wave action all be factors of naval warfare. Timing a wave would add skill to it all. Launch a projectile at the enemy ship at the wrong time and then the whole ship drops and you miss.
  • Rohkai said:
    I hope that they can make tides, winds, and wave action all be factors of naval warfare. Timing a wave would add skill to it all. Launch a projectile at the enemy ship at the wrong time and then the whole ship drops and you miss.
    Imagine fighting and an honest to goodness typhoon just blows up from the south and WOOSH! "She's capsizing!" "Man overboard!" "The wind's at their back and they're coming in to ram us!"
  • I would like to see Wind as a legitimate mechanic defining movement across the seas - none of that magically-sailing-in-all-directions-equally-fast crap.
  • question. can we walk under the sea?
  • Oh oh, I wanna swing aboard an enemy ship and slay their entire existence,

You sure you are not a siren ^^
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2018
    Kraken meets your ships.
  • Yea, give them some time to add the ocean flavor. Also it would be nice if magic were to play a hand in the combat since there are going to be alot of magic classes. Like a special cannon that doesn't fire physical cannonballs but magical blasts depending on which magic user is in the firing chair.
    There is no gunpowder, so it will have to be counter weights or magic

• If the Naval mechanics weren't the best, it surely won't make me not play the game, but still if its there, I want it at its best potential.

We all played a couple of MMOs with Naval gameplay but imho, none of them were that glamorous and for lack of a better word "good". 

I think what all of them miss is weather and more precisely monsoons or simply dynamic wind, for example, the wind at winter blows east strongest and summer blows west strongest. Combat in naval scenarios is always nice but to me that is not the bigger challenge I desire, I want just getting from point A to B to be hard and I want it to be harder at high level places where you might find glorious loot. 

After fantasizing for days I decide it to make a guild around the idea of a structured navy

Join discord for more details: https://discord.gg/fxCaZVR
  • As someone who is fond of this concept of gaming, I find my ideals far from naval combat and more for adventure. Give me a small boat so I may speed through the ocean exploring or pushing the old gal up a river to get close to a city or even just to take a short cut. 
  • As someone who is fond of this concept of gaming, I find my ideals far from naval combat and more for adventure. Give me a small boat so I may speed through the ocean exploring or pushing the old gal up a river to get close to a city or even just to take a short cut. 
    Careful not to fall in the river, Pirahna will get ya.
  • I know what I am going to be doing once I have my boat!

• Atomfist said:
    I know what I am going to be doing once I have my boat!

RIP you perfect human