Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

First person view possible?

@AK1997 writes:
I like the view of the gameplays we've seen so far, it let us see our character and also be able to aim in a almost first person way. But I would like to switch over to first person view sometimes and play it FPS style (mainly for combat), just to make it more realistic and intense. Who knows, we might be able to play it with VR someday.

Comments

• I don't like the idea of first person in an MMO.. Too many surprise attacks from behind.
  • I mean you should be able to hear them? And just an option for people to switch at their will. Mainly for PVE because it is kind of a disadvantage for PVP I guess. But I mean it wouldn't hurt if players want to put themselves in that disadvantage just to have a more realistic experience.
  • Yeah in terms of PvE, could be cool.. Get a better feel for things as POV.. Monsters more intimidating, open caverns/scenic views more enjoyable, etc.. 

Having it as toggle or scroll mousewheel to zoom in would be good.
  • Flameh0t said:
    Having it as toggle or scroll mousewheel to zoom in would be good.
    Pretty sure many MMO's already have this feature using the scroll wheel.

I'm in favour of it too. It's really useful for content creators when they want to make cinematics.
  • I play in first person all the time.  Especially during times/jobs when I need to focus on an individual task, such as gathering or healing.

It would surprise me if they don't have a way to switch between the two considering most games already include it.
  • As others have said, most games give you the choice and it's easily done by using the mouse wheel.   It comes in handy for many different things.  
  • Guess there could be the option, though 99.9% of the time its more of a burden than anything else. Even after playing ESO for quite a while i can say that
  • I read today in some developer comments that they weren't intending to offer a first person view option. I can't see being interested in playing any game in third person view, although of course at times like big battles it helps to have the option. If this game isn't going to offer that option then I tossed away a needless $150 :(   So hopefully I was reading it wrong.
  • I read today in some developer comments that they weren't intending to offer a first person view option. I can't see being interested in playing any game in third person view, although of course at times like big battles it helps to have the option. If this game isn't going to offer that option then I tossed away a needless $150 :(   So hopefully I was reading it wrong.
    Correct, currently first person is not planned/available. It requires a whole new set of animations is the stated reason.
  • Played my first 20 levels of ESO in first person, only an involuntary muscle twitch let me know third person was available.  Yes, first person was hard, but after I started using third person combat got very easy for me.  I'd enjoy watching a monster ash, melt, or decay from first person.
  • I would also like the possibility for first person pov. It could be amazing when doing the questlines for the first time. 
  • The most you'll likely get is what other MMOs tend to do: you can view the world from first person, but you won't see your own body or animations and the game is largely unplayable from that perspective. This game just doesn't seem like it would benefit from a proper first person view.

Elder Scrolls Online had a first person view, but even that was tacked on late in the development and the game's difficulty in the later game dungeons/PvP was in no way tuned for it.