Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Player Quest Board

Here's the idea. Its a board that either an adventurer's hall, or a tavern could put up. The Tavern or Guild is responsible for keeping people to their word, and the better tavern's or halls will have better reputations incentivizing people to put their quests there.

The Quests are issued on the board, you select a quest and then its put up on the board. The Tavern/Hall keeps the upfront fee of materials you offer, and takes half of it on completion, the completion is done via a system where both parties click a button and agree that the terms have been met. This is like a valve steam trading system where you both click and then it confirms the transaction.

The rest of the reward in material components is farmed by the issuer and if they fail to meet the amount in the given time frame they fail the transaction and the Tavern/Hall can issue a bounty.

The tavern can elect to pay in game cash or resources for the rewards of the bounty, the bounty could be to kill the player a certain amount of times or what have you as punishment.

Comments

• Great for people who love rp'ing not so much for those who just want to play the game .w.
  • Sad fact is if they give the "community" any sort of control over how rewards and questing are generated, someone is going to exploit it. Other games have gone this route and it has never worked out well in the end. Neverwinter(mmo) years ago had player created content, and while people for the most part tried to create fun stories and encounters for people, others immediately twisted them in to gold/exp farms. Enter one big room with 100 under-powered mobs that gave the best exp/gold, rinse, repeat. They ended up having to restrict the tools so much it was pointless. They have a plan, they will stick to it. We know there are going to be boards that you can interact with, just don't expect them to become personal piggybanks that you can shake for advantage.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    You didn't read anything I said.

You assumed it after reading the header. That or you didn't read enough.

If you don't think what I suggested would work tell me it, but if you have a problem with a concept in general that's not my beef
  • I understood it perfectly. I think it is open to exploits, just like anytime you allow people to set gold amounts for reward for your proposed "bounty". Top of my head I can think of three ways that it could be used to launder currency for gold sellers.
    edited November 2018
    I didn't say anything about gold as a reward. To be fair. Its not something I considered, but I think gold farming is a problem that is handled by tracking account interactions...this would just be another one.
    edited November 2018
    Sorry, guess I was confused by "The tavern can elect to pay in game cash or resources for the rewards of the bounty" to mean gold.
    edited November 2018
    Although @UnknownSystemError makes a proven point....
    Problems with exploitation can be overcome through a mediation service just like escrow systems work now.
    But I guess escrow systems are what AoC will be implementing anyway.

• So you're telling me that a gold seller is going to run a tavern, and launder gold, and through all their data tracking get away with it?
  • To be honest there is always 1 or 2 that get away with that stuff for some period of time it's best to create a system that can't be exploited no matter what by creating alternatives that suit the players.
    edited November 2018
    It is kind of a moot point. We already know that the bulletin board system for posting quests and such will be active. What is being given on feedback to your OP is that adding a financial incentive controlled by players, or limiting it to the tavern owner is not planned, and they have reasons for it. From the official website blog on taverns.

"Taverns foster adventure in a few ways, one large part being the bulletin board. The bulletin board, quests can be posted here and completed too. If a Tavern owner needs supplies they can post quests, others can also purchase space in order to post quests as well. This keeps the Tavern as a hub of activity. It’ll have people moving in and out, but it will encourage new patrons for the owner and will encourage a higher base of “regulars.” When you get people from all over Verra coming to one place, you get an influx of information."