Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

"Fantasy" Rifles and Pistols?

I know, I know... but seriously. Is it too late to add this?

1. It would get more people into the game who arent super into fantasy.
2. Would add a lot of variety, how many bows and swords can you really have before it gets repetative?
3. Fantasy style guns just sound cool as hell and would give a lot for the dev's to play with.
4. maybe I'm a dreamer, but I know I'm not alone here. Wudya think?

Comments

• You have as much hope of getting guns in ashes than I do of becoming a lich in game
  • We have GRENADE/POTION LAUNCHERS. That has to be enough ;D
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    nagash said:
    You have as much hope of getting guns in ashes than I do of becoming a lich in game
    Isn't Necromancer another word/a sub-caterogy of lich? xD
    Both raise the dead, but the lich is normally made/consists of bones, thats it right?
  • Damokles said:
    nagash said:
    You have as much hope of getting guns in ashes than I do of becoming a lich in game
    Both raise the dead, but the lich is normally made/consists of bones, thats it right?
    Well a lich is someone he has become immortal through magic but their body does not stop ageing while necromancy is a school of magic
  • Potion launchers... eh, no. Doesnt count. Grenade, yes. 
  • nagash said:
    Damokles said:
    nagash said:
    Well a lich is someone he has become immortal through magic but their body does not stop ageing while necromancy is a school of magic
    So every Lich is a Necromancer, but not every Necromancer can become a Lich.
    That would mean, that any Necromancer that is strong enough could become a Lich. 
    Now you only have to make that a thing ingame ;D. 
    Maybe get yourself some epic legendary staff.  :smiley:
    You have to believe in yourself!
  • If it comes from steven its the truth and he's already said no guns or playable undead saddly
  • I know, I know... but seriously. Is it too late to add this?

2. Would add a lot of variety, how many bows and swords can you really have before it gets repetative?
    3. Fantasy style guns just sound cool as hell and would give a lot for the dev's to play with.

They have potion launchers I would think this is as close to a gun as your gonna see. 

edited November 2018
    I know, I know... but seriously. Is it too late to add this?

They have potion launchers I would think this is as close to a gun as your gonna see. 

Boooooooo... I want a gun! If they want to appeal to a broad player base, add a gun. Make it fantasy based... damnit. Potion launchers.... meh. Ok it is fantasy based, but sounds like a one time use item... NOT a class... I'd be all over that if it was
    :/
    Sucks!
  • There is no gunpowder

Thus no guns.

Now, I'm a huge fan of flint-lock pistols in games.   I love cannons.   Things I enjoy.

But, I have to accept that Steven wants to keep it high-magic and low technology, so I'm good with that.   
    We currently know about 17 weapon classes. It´s not just bows and swords.

Potion launchers.... meh. Ok it is fantasy based, but sounds like a one time use item... NOT a class...

Actually it is a class of weapon and not one time use.
    For ranged weapons we have currently:
    Bows, Crossbows, Orbs, Spellbooks, Potion-Launchers, Wands.
    Did i forget something?
    And we don´t know jet if there may be different kinds of Potion launchers. We have only seen the "Grenade"-Launcher. Maybe there are types which work more like rifles or pistols.

In my opinion "normal" pistols with gunpowder wouldn´t fit in a high-fantasy-high-magic world. If gunpowder was invented in this world... who would care? There is so much magic in verra which is far more powerful than gunpowder. Why would i want to use exploding-powder if i can summon a meteor with my hands?
    edited November 2018
    Ok, to clarify I'm not saying I want to see an Ar15, or need gunpowder. I would like for my primary weapon to be a gun, in pistol or rifle form, and I dont want to have to be a wizzard/spellcaster to use it. I'd like my class to be based around the gun, not the magic. I understand they wont be one time use items, but will they be a primary weapon? Can my character specialize in these guns without it being all about magic/potion?

I think it would add variety to the game.
  • Weapons are not class locked so you can choose to use the weapon you really want. But no guns. The closest you get is the potion launcher.

About potion launchers:
    This is kind of a heavier sort of ranged weapon. Again we're trying to bring the magic into combat, so we're trying to stay away from things like, you know, straightforward guns and black powder and explosions.[1] – Jeffrey Bard

I understand they wont be one time use items, but will they be a primary weapon? Can my character specialize in these guns without it being all about magic/potion?
    Yes and Yes.

What we currently know is, that there will be 2 melee weapon slots and 1 ranged weapon slot and you have the choice which is the main weapon. So you could equip a potion launcher and define it as the main weapon.

Each weapon type has a progression path. So you could specialize in Potion Launchers. And because weapons are not class locked you don´t have to pick a mage to wield it. 
  • Ok. This is helpful. I loved how in swg, we had it all. Flamethrowers, shotguns, carbines, pistol, rifle, sniper, swords, pikes, knives, the list goes on and on. I get this is a fantasy game, but fantasy doesnt have to be exclusive to sword shield and magic.
    Thanks for the heads up. I hope these will be made into a major part of the game.
  • Can we get some pistol versions? These all look like heavy weapons
  • Can we get some pistol versions? These all look like heavy weapons
    That is because it is supposed to be a heavy weapon xD
    I dont think that we will ever get "pistols" because they wont really fit into the high fantasy genre though. (Yes I like pistols in games as much as anyone else)
  • Pistols in Fantasy/Middle Age themed worlds are just like a magic wand in red dead redemption .. dude its .. no .. just no xD

No offense i know the feeling when 1 feature would improve the game for you for so much but it just wont happen ^^
  • Gotcha, makes sense. OOOOOO wellllll.

• The only fantasy game world that does guns well is Warhammer fantasy 
  • The potion launcher mechanics feels pretty good with the potions bouncing off the walls.  I appreciate this cannot be compared to a pistol or rifle but it had a modern yet fantasy feel to it which is the effect i think you are looking for.

Maybe the crossbow will fill this role for you and although not explosive like a gun it does have a more direct feel compared to a bow. The zoom scope was interesting too and made it feel "sniper rifle like". Who knows perhaps a one handed "pistol like" crossbow with a shorter range but higher fire rate would fill the gap.
  • Neomir said:

Maybe the crossbow will fill this role for you and although not explosive like a gun it does have a more direct feel compared to a bow. The zoom scope was interesting too and made it feel "sniper rifle like". Who knows perhaps a one handed "pistol like" crossbow with a shorter range but higher fire rate would fill the gap.
    I somehow imagine a Demon Hunter from Diablo xD
    Just laying into a boss mob while screaming bloody murder ;)
  • Yea I was thinking I'd do crossbow now since no guns. Sounds cool to me
  • A hand crossbow could work in place of a pistol.  There is the repeating Chinese crossbow that has been used in the past at SCA events.   For a crew service weapon, there could be a gatling crossbow with a feed hopper and handle(s) to turn to cock and fire it.
  • You could make pistols and rifles based on a magic ammunition, making is basicaly a type of wand.
  • Mesis said:
    You could make pistols and rifles based on a magic ammunition, making is basicaly a type of wand.
    already asked that a few months back and steven still said no. Sigh and here I was going to make a witch hunter alt 
  • Game is high fantasy, no guns .w. honestly whenever I see a fantasy mmo with modern weaponry explained with 'magic' I think that the devs are just doing an ass pull.
  • Game is high fantasy, no guns .w. honestly whenever I see a fantasy mmo with modern weaponry explained with 'magic' I think that the devs are just doing an ass pull.

But maaagiic... Just summon an interdimensional Portal to some strange world called Earth and get your "AK-74" or your personal "Leopard 2"-Mount or a "F-16 Fighting Falcon"-Flying-Mount... not immersion breaking at all.
  • Potion launcher is essentially a fantasy gun/rifle/firearm.
    We just won't be using "gunpowder".
  • Remember when you were born and they said you will get everything you ever want?

Yea, me neither.