Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What if I want to be a loner?

Honest question. If I choose to live alone, maybe just have a small camp for myself, will I be handicapped compared to those residing in a high level Node community?

I understand the importance of community, 
I understand the idea of creating community through reward/money. 
I have 0 problem with this system. However I just wanted to know, if I choose to play a different "style", will I be punished? 
For example, someone who wants to just craft and not do a lot of pvp.. i saw a post saying there will be great rewards for this... does the same apply for those who want to go it more solo? Or is the only real/most efficient means to better xp/gear/experiences soley through joining a large node residence? 

I'm social, just have my own style like everyone else :)

Comments

• They have addressed the playing alone in an mmo stance a few times. Will you be handicapped? It all depends on what you think you are entitled to for access. Will you be able to get the best materials from dungeons, world bosses, and other group activities? Yes. Almost nothing is planned to be bound. So you could very well be able to get the resources you need by purchasing them from others. All comes down to what you are willing to do and how good you are at making money with your loner lifestyle if you are looking to craft at the master level.

You can't have a solo camp per say, but you can place your freehold in any node that is level 3 or higher. They are standard one-size-fits all of about half an acre last time they dropped info on that. Your only worry is if your particular node loses a siege, then your freehold could possibly be removed or destroyed to be placed again later.

They have said that there will be plenty of solo activities. Just don't expect to be able to access all the content if you are not willing to group. You will still have plenty to do, but your playstyle may very well lead to you feeling like you're missing out.
  • My honest answer would be yes. You will feel left behind.
    You will have to dedicate a very big amount of time in order to make a bit of coin and then get your hands on things that are out of your league.

Craftsmen are succesful because they get involved.

If the rest of the craftsmen sell aeroplanes in order to get they hands on valuable items you will be selling strawberries on the side of a highway.

It will take you a lot of time
  • Understood. I'm fine with all of this.
    If the rest of the craftsmen sell aeroplanes in order to get they hands on valuable items you will be selling strawberries on the side of a highway.
    You are being very negative towards strawberries. Why do you think aeroplanes are so much better than strawberries? What if i become the biggest strawberry trader in all of verra? I will make more money you will ever see with building a few aeroplanes.

I actually think a loner-trader or loner-crafter can make significant coin. You just have to know supply and demand.
    If you are the only strawberry gatherer on the whole server and everyone wants strawberries you can dictate the price.
  • Of course there are perks to being a citizen of a high level node, but I firmly believe that there will be a place for your playstyle in Ashes.
    I imagine that you could travel a lot, always near the resource you require to craft, once the resource is depleted, move on to the next depot. From time to time visit a city to trade. Conflicts between Nodes or world events wouldn't really impact you, since you're not a member of a metropolis, so why care if it gets destroyed.
  • To top your profession you will probably (actually will) have to sacrifice other areas of skill.
    There are also roles that are perfectly suited to solo player...tracker, scout, assassin, thief, possibly artisan focused players too.
    Whatever happens though, everybody will be relying on others to provide something they need.
    Groups may potentially rely on solo players to achieve things they cant and vice versa.
    Forcing varying group sizes (or professions) to work in parallel is an excellent way to ensure all sizes and playstyles are viable.

• As a lone wolf myself I can say that having certain disadvantages compared to groups is a given thing really, I mean that's the case everywhere.
  • Honest question. If I choose to live alone, maybe just have a small camp for myself, will I be handicapped compared to those residing in a high level Node community?

That depends. Do you have a hatchet?
  • I think what you really want is a hug. Bring it in. {{{{{Roadkill}}}}}
  • A Summoner is never alone
  • I will probably be a loner as well. Sounds like it could be fun XD
  • nagash said:
    A Summoner is never alone
    Unless it's your secondary class. Then all you summon are like weapons rather than pets.
  • Lythawan said:
    nagash said:
    A Summoner is never alone
    Unless it's your secondary class. Then all you summon are like weapons rather than pets.
    Alright smart ass ^^