Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Guys, dont put this game in a box

I just want to put this out there, because I read a lot of posts where people are approaching this game as if it is WoW, or Eve Online, or something else, and are making suggestions based on what they are used to, and not based on what this game can be.

Please, let's look at this game for what it can be.. Better! And what direction it's trying to go in... Sandbox! Yay!

Let me make some examples

Let's say you loved buffs in your other game, alt accounts, tabbed combat system, grinding, fine. Before you go out making a post saying that these are the answers for this mmo, consider what AOC is and isnt trying to do and the following..

Take alt accounts, you may have gotten used to having a character for every class, using tricks to speed up your financial gain compared to everyone else, bypass paying others for gear, transferring gold/credits from one account to another. This ( Bullshit ) became the norm for you, and you could never imagine an mmo without it.

Now let's look at AOC. The economy matters, so does the political system. How do you think this would effect player to player interaction? Or the economy? Or just the basic feel of the game??? How about balancing between people who spend all their money and lives leveling up multiple heroes to those who only have one and want to enjoy it.

Let's look at buffs, this should be obvious, but I've seen buffs used more as a bandaid in mmo's in the past then anything else. I can see minor buffs effecting key attributes to certain classes... but in the mmo I played, you were irrelevant if you werent buffed. Buffs alone have the power to destroy a game EASILY, but maybe you made a lot of money selling them, or enjoyed walking over others who diddnt have them.. do you think this is good for the game?

Take grinding and instanced dungeons.. you are probobly really used to doing both, a lot. But could there possibly be something better and more meaningful in a game?! I really do think so. Same goes for only tabbed combat.. the combat AOC promises of having real SKILLED combat with hitboxes in addition to hybrid tabbed combat, I'm persoanlly drooling over, but a lot of people freak the F*** out...

Let's not put this game in a Box. Let's look at what really is fun, what is balanced, what makes you feel immersed and let's you be creative. I hope AOC is unlike all of these other MMOs. I want a super sandbox game with freedom of expression, skilled combat, and lots of player interaction. I'm not trying to put down others ideas flat out, I'm just noticing a theme of a consistent narrow mindset. It's still super early and we all have our wish list including me, but let's not ruin the game before it's out yet.

PEACE!

Comments

• No one puts Verra in a box
  • nagash said:
    No one puts Verra in a box
    But what if it's a really nice tea box?
  • I agree with the sentiment but it is hard. The game is super early alpha with little known about it. There are lots of people who hear a few things about this game and don't know all it tries to accomplish and what it tries to avoid. Yeah they are responsible in educating themselves before posting but realistically, most people won't.

Also, the game is indeed trying to take the best and fun parts of other MMOs and bring them together with some original and new ideas so it also isn't completely outlandish to make comparison's to games we know. 

I think ultimately it is just the burden of the people who are invested in this game and have read up on it extensively, such as yourself, to gently correct wrong assumptions and point them to the references that could educate them on whatever. Also, people will have opinions and sometimes nothing you can currently do will change it until we have more to directly show them or point them to so we also need to ride the wave until more and more info is released.

I personally see all posts/comments as interest in the game and am not worried about much since it is so far away from launch that most people will go through phases of interest and disinterest until we have a more clear idea of what the game will be like. People can decide more definitively if AoC is for them or not around the time when it actually will be released.. This is why I don't at all mind speculation posts :D we will have concrete stuff soon enough.
  • Augentier said:
    nagash said:
    But what if it's a really nice tea box?
    that a waste of a tea box really 
  • Ohh, a wooden tea box with a nice engraving on the lid.
  • sunfrog said:
    Ohh, a wooden tea box with a nice engraving on the lid.
    Maybe you can craft this teabox. Each teabox will contain a different version of Verra.
    Verra multiverse in tea boxes.

So if you run a tavern with lots tea you will be the keeper of the multiverse.
  • If you keep Verra in a tea box then some people will have no where to put their tea, be a bit more considerate. Damn savages.
  • If you keep Verra in a tea box then some people will have no where to put their tea, be a bit more considerate. Damn savages.
    Well said old chap

• I think some of you need to be put in a box and only released once the game is released
  • Box jokes aside, the OP made some pretty good points
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    and not based on what this game can be.
    Only a dreaming kid thinks this way, until he wakes up, and realizes that real world is different...

And what direction it's trying to go in... Sandbox! Yay!
    new info: eve online is a sandbox game

Now let's look at AOC. The economy matters, so does the political system.
    So does in eve online...

Actually I doubt that AOC ever reach a level that at least close to eve online's economy. In eve online's economy the competition is nearly as hard that IRL. While it sound a big thing, it aren't that fun. EVE isn't called a second job for no reason... If you want to do it at high level, then you need to put loot of effort into it, and unlike in every other mmo, ppls even fight for tenth percents of profits.

How do you think this would effect player to player interaction? Or the economy? Or just the basic feel of the game???
    Look at eve online and you will know the answer...

Let's look at buffs, this should be obvious, but I've seen buffs used more as a bandaid in mmo's in the past then anything else. I can see minor buffs effecting key attributes to certain classes... but in the mmo I played, you were irrelevant if you werent buffed. Buffs alone have the power to destroy a game EASILY, but maybe you made a lot of money selling them, or enjoyed walking over others who diddnt have them.. do you think this is good for the game?
    IDC what mmo did you played (probably metin2?) but a game where buffs matter that much is so thrash tier that shouldn't even be mentioned lol
  • I think some of you need to be put in a box and only released once the game is released
    Does a coffin count?
    A house is a box in a way 'w'
  • "People don't know what they want. They know what they've had."  -Akbar, Today's Special.

Agreed, bring on a new MMO!
  • There are many variations to buffs but it is true some games you were dead in pvp if you weren't buffed. This made some buffers rich and allowed neutral players too. Then we have built in buffs related to classes which could be applied to grouped members. In truth both kinds have their positives and negatives but it would be nice if we are given other reasons to integrate other than for buffs.
  • nagash said:
    They tried with you but you keep escaping.
  • nagash said:
    They tried with you but you keep escaping.
    sometimes I wish I stayed in there