Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Crafted Things Are the Only Top Tier

Simply put …. No drops should ever exceed the capabilities of the best crafters.  Weather it be armor, spells, or weapons.  That is unless those very few artisans take unethical advantage of said product.  In my experience, it should be seeking components to make the highest weapons or potions that make the game great.  As a gnome tinkerer in ‘that’ game, I worked hard for days to get on a raid or solve a quest or search an area or solve a riddle to gain a rare spell.  Let’s avoid the end game killing a boss … instead … let the little things drop as a puzzle.   

Comments

• Well the best crafted gear will require resources gathered from killing big bad bosses.
  • It was said multiple times that the best gear will be acquired by a mix of dungeons/raids and crafting 'w'
  • I think that they once said, that boss monsters will rather drop rare materials for crafters instead of already processed weapons or armour. 
    I love the idea of crafting professions actually being important for gear progression.
    A good example for it working was Retail World of Warcraft. Some crafted gear there was best in slot for many classes and was even a necessity for specific raids.
  • I agree with Intrepid’s decision to have a mix of crafted and looted equipment at the highest tier. Gear is too important for armor/weapon crafters to be the only source for its acquisition. It would be challenging to balance that financially, not just in terms of production and purchase, but among other professions as well. 
  • Sikuba said:
    I agree with Intrepid’s decision to have a mix of crafted and looted equipment at the highest tier. Gear is too important for armor/weapon crafters to be the only source for its acquisition. It would be challenging to balance that financially, not just in terms of production and purchase, but among other professions as well. 
    Well i would say that the problem for most non-guildaffiliated crafters will be to get the mats for the really high end armor. If IS really makes it so that the resources for the high end crafted armor will only/mostly drop from raid bosses then the demand will go through the roof^^
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    Look at GW2 Legendary crafting that takes materials from many and multiple types of activities. Even tho if GW2 Doesn't equally emit stats from the amount of work put in the process of crafting something like a twilight is 100% more rewarding and assuring then getting a 2-H from a dragon boss or something. "Oh guys i got it, I can now progress into _ gearscore dungeon for extra gearscore for next said dungeon". "Grats dude, I'll just stay here farming this for my 1/151 drop chance progression weapon. Even if something like Twilight takes 2-3 months in its prime to craft. You knew what i took to make and the process of obtaining was the lengthy part. Thoughts? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight as reference to the crafting process.
  • @Ranged
    That sounds great to me for legendary items. But I think the post is mostly concerned with non-legendary top tier which would operate similarly in terms of having to gather materials from powerful and dangerous mobs/bosses but less time consuming :P hahaha.
    edited November 2018
    Ranged said:
    Look at GW2 Legendary crafting that takes materials from many and multiple types of activities. Even tho if GW2 Doesn't equally emit stats from the amount of work put in the process of crafting something like a twilight is 100% more rewarding and assuring then getting a 2-H from a dragon boss or something. "Oh guys i got it, I cna now progress into _ gearscore dungeon for extra gearscore for next said dungeon". "Grats dude, I'll just stay here farming this for my 1/151 drop chance progression weapon. Even if something like Twilight takes 2-3 months in its prime to craft. You knew what i took to make and the process of obtaining was the lengthy part. Thoughts? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight as reference to the crafting process.
    It took me ages to get that sword and then I found out after that you could buy it on the market place. That was not a good day.
  • Ranged said:
    Look at GW2 Legendary crafting that takes materials from many and multiple types of activities. Even tho if GW2 Doesn't equally emit stats from the amount of work put in the process of crafting something like a twilight is 100% more rewarding and assuring then getting a 2-H from a dragon boss or something. "Oh guys i got it, I can now progress into _ gearscore dungeon for extra gearscore for next said dungeon". "Grats dude, I'll just stay here farming this for my 1/151 drop chance progression weapon. Even if something like Twilight takes 2-3 months in its prime to craft. You knew what i took to make and the process of obtaining was the lengthy part. Thoughts? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight as reference to the crafting process.
    It took me 2 months to grind Chuka and Champawat. And I must say, that the feeling of completion at the end was extremely fulfilling ;D

• Of course what that means is X Boss will drop a rare craftable material and Y Boss will drop another craftable material and you'll use both for what I'll presume to be a rare recipe. But doesn't that still just make it a boss dropped item? It's a clever way of making higher tier items by combining boss drops. Usually that's done with quest. IE Kill these 4 boss monsters and once you do you'll get the reward. 

Unless they go the route of, "Harvest this node for several hours and you'll get blessed by the RNG god to finally get a legendary craftable material".

Personally I still like the idea of monsters dropping some of the best gear but this new take on boss materials will be interesting, certainly not new but I'm glad they cater to the player created gear. So raiders, group players and artisan classes all can maintain high gear, I'm still waiting to see if PvP players will be able to do the same. Or will that just be relegated to getting lucky and getting a rare material from a siege or caravan...
    edited November 2018
    @McKnightrider
    It is not the same thing as you will need a craftsman with sufficient skill, expertise and knowledge of the recipe to be able to create it even if you have all of the pieces.

We also don't know what crafting will look like exactly (we just know there won't be RNG in it) which may include skill based mini-games that may result in failure or bonus or something. This could mean failure (whatever that means) or some degree of success (also, whatever that means haha). Outside of legendary gear (which seems like an exceptional process anyways with only 1 legendary item of its name existing at a time), the craftsman you have in your guild or on contract could make a big difference in the gear you and your guild have access to. This is kind of key in making crafting a very important part of the PvX equation.
  • now imagine this,

what if you actually need the crafter with appropriate skill level to actually get the materials from the boss.

then how does your pure Crafting guild acquire said resources ?

raid night chat

Looking for high tier crafter to run them to get crafting material pay xxx.

Basically crafter would get carried in raid wouldn't that be funny.
    edited November 2018
    now imagine this,

what if you actually need the crafter with appropriate skill level to actually get the materials from the boss.

raid night chat

Lmao I think it's beautiful that people come up with hyped up ideas that are already confirmed. Yes, this is indeed the case. Expert gatherers need to tag along to extract the resources from bosses that non-experts cannot.

Although the most likely scenario is that members of your raid/guild would be specializing in different parts of crafting and they would be called upon for different bosses to be there to be a raid member as well as gatherer.
  • NeuroGuy said:
    now imagine this,

raid night chat

Lmao I think it's beautiful that people come up with hyped up ideas that are already confirmed. Yes, this is indeed the case. Expert gatherers need to tag along to extract the resources from bosses that non-experts cannot.

Although the most likely scenario is that members of your raid/guild would be specializing in different parts of crafting and they would be called upon for different bosses to be there to be a raid member as well as gatherer.
    the point is more to say that if you are a crafter doesnt matter what you play you can get a spot, and i do think its a good idea.

my point of view was that it might be easier to have in-house crafters than dedicated crafting guilds. (organized guild is probably how things will be to be optimized)
  • I pondered my earlier manifesto a bit for a modification.  Perhaps, we must include a legendary drop / title to coax an equally legendary tank to make it worthwhile to lead a raid.  Why would a tank be motivated to lead a group unless there were something 'in it' for them?  'Yeah, like - I'm gonna take on a legendary boss outa da goodness of my heart.'  Cheers!  Skaff. 
  • Simply put …. No drops should ever exceed the capabilities of the best crafters.  Weather it be armor, spells, or weapons.  That is unless those very few artisans take unethical advantage of said product.  In my experience, it should be seeking components to make the highest weapons or potions that make the game great.  As a gnome tinkerer in ‘that’ game, I worked hard for days to get on a raid or solve a quest or search an area or solve a riddle to gain a rare spell.  Let’s avoid the end game killing a boss … instead … let the little things drop as a puzzle.   

I disagree have to have a mix of crafting and drops if you make crafted weapons the best in game you will end up killing the economy being guilds will just gather mats for the crafters they will make it and place on the market place thus controlling the price of said item in the market price.  My honest opinion get rid of the market place make people have to be online to trade face to face lol like the UO days 
  • @Black_Hole_Gaming I realize that at the time of this writing you just joined the forums 5 hours ago. Many of the posts you are making have already been addressed and they have confirmed many mechanics that you seem concerned about here and in other posts. I recommend one of the fine wikis or a 50-60 hour archived livestream/interview binge to catch up. Markets are local to each individual node (with the economic metro exception), there is no fast travel, and a host of other things that have all been thought out and are interconnected for specific reasons. Feedback is wonderful, but advocating for change of core mechanics when the system is already in place, or is in place for a reason you are not aware of, will just lead to frustration.
  • I'm not so sure that posting a comment is 'upsetting the apple cart here.'  I am not posting as an expert.  I suggest letting people post the way we see things instead of conforming to what one thinks they should adhere to.  A lot of good feedback and commentary here until some expert puts the 'kabosh' on certain threads.  Been with Steven since the beginning and a kickstarter fanboy as well friend.  Cheers!  Have a good Thanksgiving @UnknownSystemError.
  • @Skafftaruss The comment wasn't directed at you, but at a newer member who was on multiple threads after joining and seemed to have a limited understanding of the mechanics that had already been clarified as incoming and why they tied into multiple systems. For those of us like you who have been here since early days and have lived through the ongoing process it is often frustrating to see the same points being relitigated every two months. It will only get worse I am sure as we approach actual launch and a huge influx of interested people come with questions and opinions that we have seen multiple times. Hope the Turkey day (or whatever your food of choice was) went well for you too!
  • yea no. i much rather do an instance etc 10 times to get something then farm gold for a week to pay off cratfers who only inflate prices unless an equal item is obtainable. then price has to balance between profitable and not  so insane its easier just togo farm up an equal item.