Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tulnar's appearance and armor idea (gemstone)

Hi everyone o/

Few month ago, I remember seeing the presentation video of the Alpha 0 Underrealm. I really enjoy this biome but one aspect in particular retire my attention: the interesting utilisation of gemstones/crystals.

Here some examples of what I really like to see (just for the context):

So… why not use those textures on Tulnar's bodies parts (or full body made by crystals) or on armors ?
Honestly, this is an idea that I have kept in mind since I saw a beautiful anime called "Houseki no Kuni". The design of the characters is so special that I think we should be inspired more.

Here a few concepts/ideas who are, for me, really interesting:

(Phos from Houseki no Kuni)

(RIP Wildstar...)

(Glass armor mod from Skyrim)

(can't found the artist sorry)

(Guild Wars 2, Blood Stone Shield by Juhee Hong)

I think it’s a good and “lore-friendly” idea for the Tulnar’s character or equipment personalisation. After all, we don’t know much of this race and the concept of seeing humanoids “become” gems over time seems relevant to me (even if we don’t know how long the exodus it lasted).

(Thx to the AoCWiki for all the informations  :D)

I just want to share this and see your opinion. Maybe all of this sound a little weird for you but that interests me ^^
(i'm not english so... I hope you understand me)

Comments

• Cool idea. Your English is very good btw, don't apologize :P . I think the main reason for the crystals in the underrealm is more practical. They need to have tons of sources of light there, unrealistically so, in order to have it make sense that the races living above ground can still see and interact with the underrealm (and the tulnar can leave the underground without being blinded by the light immediately). They also are likely to have mechanics with "darkness" which would require there to be light everywhere that they didn't want darkness to be a mechanic.

That being said, I think your ideas are beautiful and would not complain at all if they made it into the game :).
  • Glad you like it  :)
    NeuroGuy said:
    They also are likely to have mechanics with "darkness" which would require there to be light everywhere that they didn't want darkness to be a mechanic.
    If each race has advantages and disadvantages (not only stats and augments), this can be  really interesting. But probably difficult to integrate IG ^^
  • Racial differences in night vision? That's actually a cool idea. You should mention it here:
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/comment/178874#Comment_178874

I'm sure it would be well received.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    I really like the idea and the artwork you used is fantastic. 

P,s the undead artwork is by Veli Nyström
    edited November 2018
    The Blood Stone Shield looks really epic!
    But I cant alow the Tulnar to be made out of Gems. 
    I need those for my profession and I dont want to "skin" player characters to get at their gems!
    I like the idea of the different night visions. 
  • I really like the idea for this armor.

Since we have the information that the tulnar have a caste system we maybe get different sets for each caste?

Maybe those gem-armors only for the highest caste?

Lowest caste could be wearing a mix of scraps and whatever has the least value underground. Maybe Bodyparts of bugs.
  • NeuroGuy said:
    Racial differences in night vision?
    Nah, I think a different vision can cause two majors problems :
    - a discomfort for the player (especially a long session of play)
    - an imbalance in PvP
    nagash said:
    P,s the undead artwork is by Veli Nyström
    Thx so much King of the Undead  o:)

A more simple approach can take the form of a buff/debuff depends on the cycle of the day for example.
    Like the Gems in Houseki no Kuni, the Tulnars can use the sunlight or a phosphorescent object like energy source instead of food. But, when the night come, they need a light to be efficient (in combat for example).

But all of this is a really fanciful concept ^^ except the idea of a crystals/gems skin (full body or just hair)  I can't imagine how the developers can made feature especially just for the Tulnar ^^

• I think an appearance option due to a mutation would be great, but you need to remember that the Tulnar are a collective of many races, some who most likely stay within their own communities while others inter-bred, this would cause different mutations and I just don't see how humans or elves would grow crystals 'w' like @NeuroGuy already said the crystals are more likely a natural light source in the underrealm.

I do like the idea though, sounds great :3
  • One word:
    Wolflizards.
    (I will most likely roll a Tulnar Bard and then go from there xD)
  • Damokles said:
    One word:
    Wolflizards.
    (I will most likely roll a Tulnar Bard and then go from there xD)
    That sounds awesome but I have no idea what it would look like
  • @nagash
    Imagine a humanoid, with typical backbend wolf legs, a lizardstail and arms, wolf torso and a wolf head with spikes running down his back.
    My little monster.
  • Or like this just upright:
    Bildergebnis fr wolflizard
  • @Damokles Thats of course the best choice for a Bard. xD

Hope they have an instect slider so i can go insectoid Bard. We should start a band.
    The singing animation should be like this on the insect Tulnar:
    FileEdgarbuggif
    edited November 2018
    Honestly, the devs team already give me what i whant ^^
    Remember this icy boi : 

edited November 2018
    Damokles said:
    I need those for my profession and I dont want to "skin" player characters to get at their gems!

Nooo, the 'gems' grown upon a Tulnar surely would be a different sort of 'gem', like turtle shells.

Sadly throughout history artisans have had to use dubious morals to provide us with beautiful things, for instance blood diamonds didn't get the name because of their colour.

But, for reasons of parity, you'd want to be able to use ALL player races for crafting mats.

*Gets out a Dwarf skinning knife* I hear dwarves have the softest of skins....

• I really like the gemstone look. I hope to see what they decide on sooner then later.
  • Megs said:
    Damokles said:

Nooo, the 'gems' grown upon a Tulnar surely would be a different sort of 'gem', like turtle shells.

Sadly throughout history artisans have had to use dubious morals to provide us with beautiful things, for instance blood diamonds didn't get the name because of their colour.

But, for reasons of parity, you'd want to be able to use ALL player races for crafting mats.

Maybe the gems in the underworld are indeed the same gems found on tulnar.
    The older a tulnar gets the bigger the gems grow. So the gems just grow until they are to big for the tulnar to move.
    At old age the tulnar just lie down somewhere in the underworld and can´t move anymore because of the enourmos gems on their body.
    That would mean even if you farm normal gems you are farming tulnar skin.

Picture that supports my theory:

• Augentier said:
    Megs said:
    Damokles said:

Maybe the gems in the underworld are indeed the same gems found on tulnar.
    The older a tulnar gets the bigger the gems grow. So the gems just grow until they are to big for the tulnar to move.
    At old age the tulnar just lie down somewhere in the underworld and can´t move anymore because of the enourmos gems on their body.
    That would mean even if you farm normal gems you are farming tulnar skin.

Picture that supports my theory:

A different aproach would be that the gems are like a parasite.
    At first it is a small infection, meaning non threatening and curable.
    And then it grows bigger and bigger, until you cant move, like the Cordiceps from The Last of Us! Maybe they could even start to force the hosts to attack other non infected, to spread their crystaline majesty.
    Think of it! PARASITIC CRYSTALS MAN! 
    (To be real though= The picture yopu posted looks really, like a dangerous mob in the underworld. Like the Wretched or Withered from WoW, once proud members of a dignified race, now hey are addicted monstrosities)
    It would make a bit of sense, if the crystals are actually dangerous to us, and that would give the Tulnar a good reason to leave the underworld.