Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

PvP 1v1's and Open world?

After having been in sampling through BR myself I'm curious on how the dev team at AoC plans to balance the game

What point of the game are they going to use as a reference for balancing I wonder? Will it be around Large Open scale balancing? Or will their focus be more specific and fine tuned for the Competitive fighters who like to prove their mettle?

I've been with AoC a long while now since kickstarter but now aftet having actually been lucky enough to play a part of it the games all I can wait for! 

Even Moving into a new home of my own hasn't dimmed it out. So I wanted to ask everyone

Where do you think the Dev's team focus will be at for Balancing? And ,almost as importantly, where do YOU think the dev team should use as their focus for balancing?

Humor me :)

Comments

• Intrepid has stated they will balance around group play (8 players) and not be held to 1 vs 1 balancing. They see more of a rock, paper, scissors type of balance. 
  • Sintu said:
    Intrepid has stated they will balance around group play (8 players) and not be held to 1 vs 1 balancing. They see more of a rock, paper, scissors type of balance. 
    True

But there are always shakeups and design changes and different angles and priorites along every games lengthy development path.

I just hope they dont have it so completely lopsided with a rock/paper/scissors type of design
  • Either way they do it I hope it's not completely lopsided.
    That said, I like the goal of 8 players being a balance. They have mentioned that Boss monsters will change attack routines (hope that's still true) so hopefully there will be lots of variety in 8 character adventuring parties.
  • Sintu said:
    Intrepid has stated they will balance around group play (8 players) and not be held to 1 vs 1 balancing. They see more of a rock, paper, scissors type of balance. 

This was also my understanding of how things will be balanced, with your choice of secondary class and its augments serving to lessen the rock paper scissors effect.
  • As much as I love solo play it's a given that an mmo will be balanced with group content in mind, since that's where all the good stuff is.
  • I will be interested to see how the bard and summoner will be balanced as they are very unique classes  
  • nagash said:
    I will be interested to see how the bard and summoner will be balanced as they are very unique classes  
    I'd love to see actual gameplay of both classes.
    In my head the bard still runs around with a guitar and trys to sing people to death.
    And the summoner just kites you while his minions kill you.
    But i guess we have to wait...
  • Augentier said:
    nagash said:
    I will be interested to see how the bard and summoner will be balanced as they are very unique classes  
    I'd love to see actual gameplay of both classes.
    In my head the bard still runs around with a guitar and trys to sing people to death.
    And the summoner just kites you while his minions kill you.
    But i guess we have to wait...
    why not both 

• That Giff tickles my funny bone Nagash ;)
  • Another reason to not allow open world pvp or at the very least servers without open world pvp.  I guess you will have to group up with 7 others just to run a quest to kill 10 sheep.  Griefers will figure out real fast which glass is OP in 1v1 and every one of them will be running around ganking every flower picker and quest runner they can find.  That is all they care about they could care less about any negative mechanic (corruption) in place to deter them.

The only way to keep this from happening is no open world pvp,
  • Jubilum said:
    Another reason to not allow open world pvp or at the very least servers without open world pvp.  I guess you will have to group up with 7 others just to run a quest to kill 10 sheep.  Griefers will figure out real fast which glass is OP in 1v1 and every one of them will be running around ganking every flower picker and quest runner they can find.  That is all they care about they could care less about any negative mechanic (corruption) in place to deter them.

Well its a thing you will have to deal with then
  • The PKers will gain corruption points.  Enough corruption and you drop gear upon death.

Corrupt players can have bounties placed on them by other players, by city governments, and perhaps by other organizations like guilds.   Players can be bounty hunters.

There will be strong motivation to hunt down those PKers,  it will be profitable to collect the bounties, profitable to pick up their gear.  Some of the PVP folks will quickly realize it is more challenging, profitable and fun to hunt PKers than to be one!

• Jubilum said:
    Another reason to not allow open world pvp or at the very least servers without open world pvp.  I guess you will have to group up with 7 others just to run a quest to kill 10 sheep.  Griefers will figure out real fast which glass is OP in 1v1 and every one of them will be running around ganking every flower picker and quest runner they can find.  That is all they care about they could care less about any negative mechanic (corruption) in place to deter them.

Well, I mean you are categorically wrong. Weather you are trying to be hyperbolic, or are just not researched enough to know your posting fake news Im not sure.

Just FYI, in your fantasy, where the griefers dont care about corruption, they are all running around doing 0 dmg and most likely have 0 armor stats remaining. However you and your 7 dwarfs should prolly stick together. Apples and all....

-CS
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    TauTau said:

The PKers will gain corruption points.  Enough corruption and you drop gear upon death.

Corrupt players can have bounties placed on them by other players, by city governments, and perhaps by other organizations like guilds.   Players can be bounty hunters.

There will be strong motivation to hunt down those PKers,  it will be profitable to collect the bounties, profitable to pick up their gear.  Some of the PVP folks will quickly realize it is more challenging, profitable and fun to hunt PKers than to be one!

Yeah, there will be a strong motivation for the PKers to let their friend to kill them and claim the easy money :smile:

Give up man, it was already tried and failed many time. The amount of money either wouldn't be big enough worthy of fighting for, or will be abused. That's the two possible outcome...

Sintu said:

I feel 8v8 is too much. While many have friends, 8v8 situations still wouldn't be a common thing,.
    3v3 should be the one to go, as it's relatively common.

• Luckily not all corruption, if enough has been gained, can be removed by one death. Also, upon death it still looks like corrupted have random spawn points. So yeah, their buddy might get the first kill, but not the second. Since corrupted players are treated as "monsters" not sure if they can 'swap' gear with friends while corrupted. All interesting mechanics I look forward to see playing out.

As for 1v1, hopefully there is enough semblance of balance to make that a skill thing, but not something Ashes shoots for as 'level ground.'
  • nagash said:
    Jubilum said:

Well its a thing you will have to deal with then
    I really think that at this point we should have some sort of notification for new members that pvp is a pillar of how the game will function and we can't have no open world pvp....maybe I should start making a new kill-list :/ 
  • @AutumnLeaf
    I think, if that were to be a thing, the pin should also indicate the game is not a PvP focused game and that PvE is equally important.
  • Azathoth said:
    @AutumnLeaf
    I think, if that were to be a thing, the pin should also indicate the game is not a PvP focused game and that PvE is equally important.
    Ah fair point, but it's just me complaining about the fact that people can't realize that pvp is needed for this game, pve is really a given in an mmo 'w'
  • Battlegrounds are needed, but the Corruption form of PvP combat isn't really "needed".
    Most likely too difficult to disable it for specific servers at this point, though.