Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Capital Cities

Has any  ne heard of capital cities from what i know there will be none.   Traditionally Elves and Dwarves have a tremendous amout of Lore thine it is a down side to their backround and Lore without elven and dwarven capital cities.   Guess we could have that in the cities we build some how but race of city is based on which race inputs the most experience,

Any ways elven city could by a sky city which floats at random.  Could use air ballons to reach them or just make a flying zone below the city.  Also rope ladders could be used if low enough to the ground.  Sky castles like tera could also be dealt with in such a manner.

As far as the dwarves are concerned Their capital city could be in the underworld.  

Also would like to see more types of dwarves and elves and orcs and humans for example humans could have a viking like barbaric race.  In addition to the races already there.

For elves there could be half elves, wood elves dark elves, high elves, exalted elves light elves and so on.

As for dwarves there are dark dwarves, hill dwarves, mountain dwarves, rock dwares and so on,  

I think you get the idea.  really would not require to much effort just slight adjustments  on models you already have.  

Just wondering how the history and the lore and backround for races and the world in general are going to play out with out any  capital cities.  

By the way types of dwares and elves are from Dungeouns and Dragons not original ideas, but think you get the idea.

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    Concerning the start of the game: 

Starting areas

Each race has their own starting area (starting zone), featuring a divine gateway. The exception to this is the Tulnar, who have a starting area without a divine gateway.

Players will be able to choose their starting Divine gateway. This choice is not restricted by race.

There will be small NPC settlements at the starting areas. These represent scouts that were sent ahead of the main expedition back to Verra. These settlements are designed to acclimatize new players entering the world.

Starting areas have some distance between them.

Meaning, that we will most likely start with a level 1 node and will have to level that one up first to get our first capital ;D

The whole story depends on the fact, that all campitals got destroyed, and that we are now for the first time in a millenia (dont know for how long actually xD) going back and start to reclaim our old homelands/return to the surface. 

The Tulnar will most likely be the ones with the eventual chance to see a "capital" at the start.

• Also would like to see more types of dwarves and elves and orcs and humans for example humans could have a viking like barbaric race.  In addition to the races already there.

For elves there could be half elves, wood elves dark elves, high elves, exalted elves light elves and so on.

As for dwarves there are dark dwarves, hill dwarves, mountain dwarves, rock dwares and so on,  

I think you get the idea.  really would not require to much effort just slight adjustments  on models you already have.  
    As for the idea of having even MORE sub-races: lets start small, two per race should be enough for the start.
    Also, why would they splinter into so many subraces if the races on their own already fill out most of the ecosystems? Most beings change from their "common" form, to adapt to their surroundings.
    And you can always create a dark skinned dwarf and call yourself a dark dwarf xD

• All nodes that can be developed start out at level zero with no indicator of what kind of node they will be. Nodes pop fairly quickly to level one and then the npcs that populate the first camp give an indication of node type. The sub races coming from Sanctus have their lore reasons for being what they are that will be made clear later. The Tulnar have no advantage over any other race as to node leveling. Their starter camp will be similar to the other starting areas. We do know that starting say as a dwarf in the elf area will come with some npc discrimination. Npcs react differently to their players based on race and social standing has been confirmed. So orcs starting in the orc area may have an easier initial reception than a dwarf starting in the orc area. If you are looking for a Stormwind or Ironforge racially themed capital city that never changes and its always in the same spot you are in for a bit of a shock. Node architecture is based off of the sub race that contributed the most to that level of node development. This changes with each "pop." A previously nikua node may very well be tulnar at the next stage if there is a shift in racial population contributing to that nodes leveling. The architecture does not stay from transition to transition, it is either all or nothing. So you may very well see your house go from elven to dwarven to tulnish(?) at each phase transtition. Freeholds can be skinned to choice.
  • Elves having floating cities....and here I thought they usually dwell in forests 
  • I demand floating cities for Tulnar! 
    WE LIVED TOO LONG IN THE SHADOWS! RISE MY BRETHREN! RISE OUT OF THE SHADOWS INTO THE SUN! 
  • Damokles said:
    I demand floating cities for Tulnar! 
    WE LIVED TOO LONG IN THE SHADOWS! RISE MY BRETHREN! RISE OUT OF THE SHADOWS INTO THE SUN! 
    No the whole point is that you are adapted to being underground...isn't it just self destructive to go out now...
  • I have a floating city ^^

• Damokles said:
    No the whole point is that you are adapted to being underground...isn't it just self destructive to go out now...
    If we could adapt to live underground, then we will be able o adapt to live in floating cities!
  • Damokles said:
    Damokles said:
    If we could adapt to live underground, then we will be able o adapt to live in floating cities!
    Yes. Also sunglasses, sunshades and sunscreen! No need to adapt instantly.

• mortals have  so many pointless needs
  • nagash said:
    I have a floating city ^^

Flying in un-authorized air space is asking to be slaughtered... 
  • nagash said:

I would like to see you try 
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:

No you really don't want to "see" it happen, I mean unless that city doesn't really mean much to you ? 
  • nagash said:
    nagash said:

Nagash did you forget already, that you dont have eyes?!?
  • Damokles said:
    nagash said:
    nagash said:

Nagash did you forget already, that you dont have eyes?!?
    Magic ^^
  • @Damokles
    what do you think tulnar influenced cities will look like? would they be even more different if its a underground node? I really never put much thought into it before now. maybe they'll have something resembling a crystalline based structure to there buildings when above ground but when underground they have structures made out of crystals themselves. 
  • Nice post, OP.  I like your ideas.  But our world will be what we create, not an artificial one created for us.

It would be possible for a server to more-or-less create home cities for the different races.  Each race would have to end up congregating in the same node area and build their main city up.  But there can only be five of the largest cities so we would end up with wars between different races for dominance.  That would certainly be interesting!

Perhaps mono-race cities (or cities close to that) would end up having both advantages and disadvantages because of their racial make-up, thus making the conflicts with other cities even more interesting.  Plus there will be the interaction between race and node type, elves settling in different types of nodes would end up having somewhat different types of civilizations.  We may end up with dark elf versus light elf versus dwarf versus orc....the possibilities of AoC are wonderful!

All the best, TT

• @TauTau No dark elves confirmed. Unless of course you mean the more militaristic ones based off the Romans versus the more hippy ones.
  • @Damokles
    what do you think tulnar influenced cities will look like? would they be even more different if its a underground node? I really never put much thought into it before now. maybe they'll have something resembling a crystalline based structure to there buildings when above ground but when underground they have structures made out of crystals themselves. 
    It would be cool if they used the luminicient crystals inside of the buildings and in street lamps as a lightsource. 
    For the overall stile i would say a mix between mountain dwarfs and elfs maybe? 
    The problem is that all other races have a strict guideline, while Tulnar are a meltingpot of four races. We saw some features of reptiles, elves and orcs in some leaked artwork^^. 

• @UnknownSystemError

Yes, you are correct.  I was not referring to a separate race of elves.  Rather that elves in a Military node might act 'darker' than elves that settled and built, perhaps, in a Divine node.

They would have somewhat different resources (and perhaps weapons and other options) based on their node of settlement.  Thus it might be argued that different groups of players with elves as characters have established different sub-types of elves, though 'races' would be too strong a word.

Since different players with different play styles may well be attracted to different types of nodes, we may end up with sub-types of elves and other races.  All of this, I believe, is brilliant and subtle game design.