Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Legendaries - What do you think about them and how should we be able to obtain them?

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited November 2018 in Ashes of Creation Design

krojak made a good point in todays video of his.

"Make Legendaries great[legendary] again."

I played WoW since Vanilla. I crafted Sulfuras 4 times(Once for me and three other times for friends). I farmed the Glaives of Azzinoth. I made Shadowmourne. Completed the Cloak in Pandaria. Even made the Ring in WoD. (I like to make/obtain such things, even if the last two where nearly pure grind.) And then Blizzard ruined Legendaries in Legion and made them mainstream (even more mainstream as in WoD, but you had to at least do a bit of work to get everything for the ring...).

I remember a time, where legendaries where something that you worked hard for. Things that you bled for.

In my opinion there should be three kinds of obtainable legendaries.

1. Craftable Legendaries with epic drops from a wide variety of raid end bosses. Maybe you have to fight a humongous wolf or another kind of creature and at the end you can take it apart and you have the chance to obtaine its fur in pristine condition and use that to craft a piece of armor together with other epic materials.

2. Legendaries obtained through achievements. Like the Legendaries in Guild Wars 2. You have to take many steps. Kill Worldbosses, Craft things on Grandmaster level obtain hard to get reputation with different factions. Live through a story and survive it. And then everything you did culminates into a piece of Weaponry or armor.

3. Obtainable ones through killing a extremely hard worldboss. Make it something gruesome and extremely dangerous. Something where you would need your whole guild. Think Thunderfury. Obtain two pieces from two different end bosses from raids that correlate (i know that in WoW both pieces dropped form the same raid). Combine both pieces through a lenghty questchain, and summon a worldboss, which you have to kill

What do you guys think?

Comments

• I just dont want Legendaries to be like in GW2. Where your required to farm RNG items for months or try your luck in the mystic toilet to get a precursor. The whole process was a grind. Even when they bought out you can make a  precursor that was a grindfest as well.
    No thanks to that. But something more manageable and you can enjoy doing.
  • I just dont want Legendaries to be like in GW2. Where your required to farm RNG items for months or try your luck in the mystic toilet to get a precursor. The whole process was a grind. Even when they bought out you can make a  precursor that was a grindfest as well.
    No thanks to that. But something more manageable and you can enjoy doing.
    You can get legendaries like Chuka and Champawat or the Incinerator from the Collection tab. There are a ton of legendaries where you don't need any rng. 
  • I feel like the top tier legendaries should be RARE ASF and also one of a kind and VERY scarce, only found in the world or from some epic event.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited November 2018
    I feel like the top tier legendaries should be RARE ASF and also one of a kind and VERY scarce, only found in the world or from some epic event.
    I agree - the title should match the definition. As games in the past progressed, they tended to add more and more Legendaries until eventually, full legendary sets become general attire. WoW actually had to add a whole other tier of items (Mythical) as a result of this bizarre inflation. I would like to see the title Legendary be given to items that are genuinely difficult to acquire, even for skilled, leveled players, and extremely challenging to craft.
  • I've literally just noted some legendary thoughts on another post by a member. Just thought i'd c/p it on here as well just to add to the conv.  

"Look at GW2 Legendary crafting that takes materials from many and multiple types of activities. Even tho if GW2 Doesn't equally emit stats from the amount of work put in the process of crafting something like a twilight is 100% more rewarding and assuring then getting a 2-H from a dragon boss or something. "Oh guys i got it, I can now progress into _ gearscore dungeon for extra gearscore for next said dungeon". "Grats dude, I'll just stay here farming this for my 1/151 drop chance progression weapon. Even if something like Twilight takes 2-3 months in its prime to craft. You knew what i took to make and the process of obtaining was the lengthy part. Thoughts? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight as reference to the crafting process."
  • I've literally just noted some legendary thoughts on another post by a member. Just thought i'd c/p it on here aswell just to add to the conversation.
    "Look at GW2 Legendary crafting that takes materials from many and multiple types of activities. Even tho if GW2 Doesn't equally emit stats from the amount of work put in the process of crafting something like a twilight is 100% more rewarding and assuring then getting a 2-H from a dragon boss or something. "Oh guys i got it, I can now progress into _ gearscore dungeon for extra gearscore for next said dungeon". "Grats dude, I'll just stay here farming this for my 1/151 drop chance progression weapon. Even if something like Twilight takes 2-3 months in its prime to craft. You knew what i took to make and the process of obtaining was the lengthy part. Thoughts? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Twilight as reference to the crafting process."
  • I've literally just noted some legendary thoughts on another post by a member. Just thought i'd c/p it on here aswell just to add to the conversation.
  • Damokles said:

krojak made a good point in todays video of his.

"Make Legendaries great[legendary] again."

I played WoW since Vanilla. I crafted Sulfuras 4 times(Once for me and three other times for friends). I farmed the Glaives of Azzinoth. I made Shadowmourne. Completed the Cloak in Pandaria. Even made the Ring in WoD. (I like to make/obtain such things, even if the last two where nearly pure grind.) And then Blizzard ruined Legendaries in Legion and made them mainstream (even more mainstream as in WoD, but you had to at least do a bit of work to get everything for the ring...).

I remember a time, where legendaries where something that you worked hard for. Things that you bled for.

In my opinion there should be three kinds of obtainable legendaries.

1. Craftable Legendaries with epic drops from a wide variety of raid end bosses. Maybe you have to fight a humongous wolf or another kind of creature and at the end you can take it apart and you have the chance to obtaine its fur in pristine condition and use that to craft a piece of armor together with other epic materials.

2. Legendaries obtained through achievements. Like the Legendaries in Guild Wars 2. You have to take many steps. Kill Worldbosses, Craft things on Grandmaster level obtain hard to get reputation with different factions. Live through a story and survive it. And then everything you did culminates into a piece of Weaponry or armor.

3. Obtainable ones through killing a extremely hard worldboss. Make it something gruesome and extremely dangerous. Something where you would need your whole guild. Think Thunderfury. Obtain two pieces from two different end bosses from raids that correlate (i know that in WoW both pieces dropped form the same raid). Combine both pieces through a lenghty questchain, and summon a worldboss, which you have to kill

What do you guys think?

Let just make it how EverQuest was lol random spawning bosses with massive RNG for drops of powerful items I remember camping 1 boss for 49.5 hr straight for a damn chest piece that he dropped. 
  • Black_Hole_Gaming said:
    Let just make it how EverQuest was lol random spawning bosses with massive RNG for drops of powerful items I remember camping 1 boss for 49.5 hr straight for a damn chest piece that he dropped. 
    So you want to make it a pure grindfest without anything to do?
    Wouldnt that make it just an epic item? Of course it would be better then an epic item, but it wouldnt really feel legendary. 
    The random dropchance would make it the same as the Legion WoW system, which i would think they should try to stay away from.
  • I would like to see legendary weapons come from, well, a legendary tale.  Not a mundane gathering or simply a weekly raid boss.  

I hate when they are always on the corpse of some boss.  I would rather see them in the horde of the dragon amidst the mundane that glow for your character after the fight. Perhaps you hear some sound effect; a whispering or  crackle attuned to your class that leads you to it.

Make it so  you see the blade, tome, bow or staff encased in crystal just out of reach until a bridge is raised over some form of doom.

I would like to see an epic sword in the grasp of the skeleton of a famous hero who perished somewhere remote and breaking the sword free of his bony grasp started an event you had to finish to claim the blade or infuse it with power.  The quest to find where he fell should be a chain that leads you through his travels.

I would like to see craftable legendaries whose recipes are found in dwarflike ruins and /or on the walls of an ancient forge that shows how to craft that rare "starmetal" from the fallen meteorite.

Legendaries derived from achievements, "Hey I emote farted 20,000 times and now have the Pungent Blade of Vorpality" or tossing thousands of mundane blades at some magic toilet (yes Guildwars I'm looking at you) simply isn't epic in telling or legendary.
    edited November 2018
    I just dont want Legendaries to be like in GW2. Where your required to farm for months. The whole process was a grind. something more manageable
    Guess I have the complete opposite opinion. I think GW2 did a pretty good job with the legendaries. The fact that you have to put down so much work and spend so much time on it makes it more rewarding. Once you got that legendary, people could appreciate it cause they knew how much time you put into it. If all you had to do was kill a difficult boss or whatever, you'd lose the feeling of making progress towards a goal.
  • Gah.  It was mindless work.  Lets sit out in the desert; run between two camps killing mobs that offer no challenge in a group of 20 so we can gather enough trash to throw in the magic toilet.

That's not exactly rewarding or story game play.  Combine this with the fact it was completely RNG based vice content based it trivialized the reward even more.  I have 8 max level characters and never got a single precursor.. that's a broken system; and it's not fun.

I agree that you should have to put effort in; but performing mindless tasks ad nauseum. is not the way to do it.

edited November 2018
    We already have a lot of this information about legendary items. It won't be RNG based, there may be only 1 of a single type per server. It will likely involve epic quest chains and definitely require master craftsman involvement and require node progression.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Legendary

Just as a general rule of thumb, and I will qualify this in a moment so please read fully, Krojak (or any other content creator) does not provide new information relative to what is available on the wikis. I like Krojak and his videos, I heard about this game from him and actually used his code to make my account so I am a fan but his videos are made for an audience without as much knowledge of the game than someone willing to read through the wikis. He is reaching a wider audience in nice and easy to digest morsels of information about the game but do your own research briefly by just literally typing in a single keyword in the wiki before going on about things that have already been stated (e.g. no RNG in legendary items).

Again, I love Krojak and his vids but he is working with ~the same info everyone else is. Get inspired by his videos, but then look them up for 2 minutes on the wiki before posting please :P.
  • I know that Krojak doesnt give the most indepth content. :D 
    I just wanted to go some more into the idea of legendaries and wondered, what you all think about the topic. ^^
  • Damokles said:
    Black_Hole_Gaming said:
    So you want to make it a pure grindfest without anything to do?
    Wouldnt that make it just an epic item? Of course it would be better then an epic item, but it wouldnt really feel legendary. 
    The random dropchance would make it the same as the Legion WoW system, which i would think they should try to stay away from.
    I for one, loved how EverQuest had their class specific "Epic" weapons. Yes some of it was a grindfest (i.e. monk random & rare spawning mob that had a very low drop rate for the item needed to move onto the next step). To go along with those "Epic" quests, in order to get the final item you had to kill a raid boss. It was well worth it and IMO something of that level / quality should be hard to get. We should have to earn said "Epic" not have it handed to us. As for what is being said about "Legendary", I like how they say it will not be RNG based, but don't like to hear that there might be a single item on a server. 

What I would like to see is class specific "Legendary" weapons that also have a race specific effect. For example - Elf vs Human Ranger. An elf's race specific on a "Legendary" bow could be increased range & hit vice a Human's race specific increase to dmg & crit dmg. 

In addition, as the game grows (expansions if that will be a thing) the "Legendary" can be upgraded from its previous version (just like in EverQuest - Epic 1.0 - 1.5, 1.5 - 2.0) through additional quests & crafting.  
    edited November 2018

I'm personally against even being able to craft actual full on legendaries. *

Instead I'd let the most skilled crafts folk be able to knock off a few limited (in numbers by server) , but less powerful replicas, and so on down to the high street, ever prevalent rip offs.

Legendaries should surely be just that, legendary.

One offs that people all over the server hear rumours about, hunt to find and tell stories about.

You don't hear stories in real life about Norman and his amazing raspberry pi construction, you hear stories about Babbage, Turing, Jobs and Gates.

Take art.

An original, one off drawing made by Turner (or Intrepids own Matt Broome etc) could be called legendary.

Those artists with skill can fake it, but that doesn't and shouldn't give it the same value.

By the time the images are being printed en-masse on mouse mats and t-shirts, then they really can no longer be called, in and of itself, Legendary.

*Unless they are the very first and it involves some kind of innovation.

• Megs said:

I'm personally against even being able to craft actual full on legendaries. *

Instead I'd let the most skilled crafts folk be able to knock off a few limited (in numbers by server) , but less powerful replicas, and so on down to the high street, ever prevalent rip offs.

Legendaries should surely be just that, legendary.

One offs that people all over the server hear rumours about, hunt to find and tell stories about.

You don't hear stories in real life about Norman and his amazing raspberry pi construction, you hear stories about Babbage, Turing, Jobs and Gates.

Take art.

An original, one off drawing made by Turner (or Intrepids own Matt Broome etc) could be called legendary.

Those artists with skill can fake it, but that doesn't and shouldn't give it the same value.

By the time the images are being printed en-masse on mouse mats and t-shirts, then they really can no longer be called, in and of itself, Legendary.

*Unless they are the very first and it involves some kind of innovation.

I dont want crafters to be able to craft legendaries on their own. 
    But it would be cool if they could craft precursors, which would start a questchain, which would be really hard and only doable with a whole raid or something like that^^
    edited November 2018
    With the decay system there must be a way to repair said Legendaries which means someone will have to have the skill to do this and possibly even craft them if the recipe is gleaned. If this isn't in the game Legendaries will be short lived unless they are so Legendary they don't decay.

I heard one guy suggest Legendaries will be a choice whether to use them and decay them or keep them in reserve. Even with the reserve option unless they are never used at all at some point they will require repair.

Furthermore to repair takes a percentage of the materials used to create said Legendary so this would mean they are crafted from materials crafters have access to which would mean potentially a crafter can make Legendaries. The only snag would be if recipes do not exist.
  • Abasole said:
    With the decay system there must be a way to repair said Legendaries which means someone will have to have the skill to do this and possibly even craft them if the recipe is gleaned. If this isn't in the game Legendaries will be short lived unless they are so Legendary they don't decay.

I heard one guy suggest Legendaries will be a choice whether to use them and decay them or keep them in reserve. Even with the reserve option unless they are never used at all at some point they will require repair.

Furthermore to repair takes a percentage of the materials used to create said Legendary so this would mean they are crafted from materials crafters have access to which would mean potentially a crafter can make Legendaries. The only snag would be if recipes do not exist.
    Or they just make them unbreakable...
    edited November 2018
    Retracted entry but cannot delete entry.
    edited November 2018
    @Damokles Dude I agree.  I’m tired of rare status losing its actual worth, especially legendary class, it totally takes away from a the older age player’s incentive.  I think AoC is gonna stay true to their vision though, that’s why this game is actually gaining popularity and reengaging the MMO community.  Many of us are tired of the MMOS that are funded by the pockets of the 12yr’s mommy and daddy.
    edited November 2018

Retracted my entry but cannot delete entry ;)

• Legendaries are good and all but i want there to be many tiers of rarity since legendaries will be so rare. I want to feel good about obtaining an upper tier item after some hard work. I want to obtain the Fang the Azure Hydra and the Leather of the Great Grizzly and the scales of the Adamantine Dragon and not even know that there is a recipe to create a weapon using these things but mixing them all the same because it seems reasonable to obtain the Toxic Adamantine Dagger which just happens to be an upper tier weapon. Thats the kind of system i want in this game. 

Even if i go from the shittiest tier to the next tier, i want to feel that sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
    edited November 2018
    Pogybait said:
    Gah.  It was mindless work.  Lets sit out in the desert; run between two camps killing mobs that offer no challenge in a group of 20 so we can gather enough trash to throw in the magic toilet.
    Eh, how long ago did you play gw2? They completely changed the way Legendary crafting works. It's not just silverwastes farming and throwing weapons into the mystic forge anymore. There are collections and lots of different items you'll have to find all over the world. SW farming is still a thing but it's not like that's the only thing you'll be doing.

Would you rather see it obtainable by completing a raid boss or something? I want raid bosses to drop items that are required among other things to get a legendary, but if a boss is all there is to it you could get your legendary in a matter of hours. That kills all the excitement of reaching a bigger goal.

Actually, when I think about it, it would be kind of cool to have some legendaries that are non-craftable and only obtained by completing long secret quests.

Like, take these specific materials and this rare item to some guy in the desert and he'll give you a map which will lead you to a difficult jumping puzzle. Obtain an item which unlocks a collection which tells you which raid bosses you need to kill in a specific way to get an item used to unlock another secret quest and so on. At the end of this hidden quest there will be an insanely strong boss (or just a swarm of op mobs) that upon defeat (no random drop chance bs) finally grants you your weapon.
  • Legendaries are good and all but i want there to be many tiers of rarity since legendaries will be so rare. I want to feel good about obtaining an upper tier item after some hard work. I want to obtain the Fang the Azure Hydra and the Leather of the Great Grizzly and the scales of the Adamantine Dragon and not even know that there is a recipe to create a weapon using these things but mixing them all the same because it seems reasonable to obtain the Toxic Adamantine Dagger which just happens to be an upper tier weapon. Thats the kind of system i want in this game. 

Even if i go from the shittiest tier to the next tier, i want to feel that sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
    I agree, and while the legendaries should really be the thing that you might climax to if you found one the sense of accomplishment from getting better gear should be there nonetheless, I mean you wouldn't want to make it so that the players only think about grinding for legendary items until they burn out and get bored. 

Though I do think legendaries should only be found in the world and should be 1 of a kind items with some sort of special ability 'w' 
    edited December 2018
    Like above, there should be several level on the way from generic to tailor made.
    Legendary should be a 1/player item.
    That means there is no choice but to have 10,000 1/player items otherwise you would have 10000 of a legendary item which isnt legendary.
    But that isnt exactly a viable market for legendary level crafters.
    So you need generic gear through to legendary gear at different levels.
    And the best way to ensure that is tied to community progress is to lock those tiers behind node tiers.
    mass production ..through to.. one offs.
    If the legendary gatherer, refiner, crafter can only make one legendary set of clothing/tools for an individual gatherer/crafter/refiner/warrior. Then you cant get much rarer or legendary than that.
    Especially if you have to kit out the gatherer before the refiner before the crafter before the warrior.
    If 10,000 class race build/stories/synergies/recipes and components are locked behind that through different combination locks, then you have an economy and crafting system with massively simplified complexity and depth, driven by mutual progress.

And if two people try to create the same build....one of them wont get the legendary items. So a 1st come 1st served specialist tree roster could be filled by every player on the server. You see with a single player game you can be the godly hero. Not everyone can be that same godly hero in a multiplayer game. But you can have a multitude of potential superheroes in their own right.
  • For a sword to be "legendary" it needs to have a purpose and a story; not just stats.

Craftsmen and mages together forging legendary weapons in fantasy settings is common but they are often stories in and of themselves.

Merrit, a wizard, created the Sword of Truth in the Goodkind series.  Merrit strove to craft a key to protect the Power of Orden. He, and the council he was a part of,  knew that the key had to take on the form of a sword. He alone, however, understood the importance of the shape of the key, for the sword was also meant to safeguard the Power from evil.  Swords could be keys that unlock certain areas.

The Darksword Trilogy, Weis/Hickman:  Joram, forges the Darksword, a blade capable of absorbing magic. However, his plans are delayed because forging such a sword requires a Catalyst (special magicians that have little personal magic but are necessary to enhance the magic powers of all the others).   Swords are often responses to a specific form of evil or a balance to that which is normally unopposable.

The Drenai Series, Gemmel.  The Swords of Day and Night are enchanted by the Old Woman.

Some swords are entities in their own right, such as Stormbringer, Elrics sword (Michael Moorcock) 
    This powerful enchanted black blade is a member of a demon race that takes on the form of a sword, and as such is an agent of Chaos. Stormbringer's edge is capable of cutting through virtually any material not protected by potent sorcery, and it can drink the soul from (and thereby kill) an unprotected human upon delivering any wound, even a scratch. It has a mind and will of it's own and Elric who is physcially weak needs the swords strength.  The blade itself becomes an antagonist.  Imagine weapons that grant you power at a price to use.

The Dragonlances, which are "god-blessed" weapons were the only weapons mortals could use to kill dragons in the series by Weis/Hickman.  Craftable by man but needing infusion from divine vice arcane.

Daedric weapons from the elder scrolls fare, are more powerful made with both ebony ore, which is a much sturdier, higher quality material than steel, and Daedric Hearts, which are enchanted with dark magic.

Unferth gives Beowulf Hrunting a sword forged by Giants.  
    The iron blade with its ill-boding patterns had been tempered in blood. It had never failed the hand of anyone who hefted it in battle, anyone who had fought and faced the worst in the gap of danger.   It was an heirloom gained in battle against a great host.

Drizzt's blades follow two archtypes forged and found.  
    Twinkle is a magical elven-forged blade that emits a blue hue when held. Icingdeath was found in the treasures of a white dragon of the same name, whom Drizzt and Wulfgar slew together. It gives its wielder protection from any form of fire.

Pretty much every weapon in the Lord of the Rings are forged by racial craftsmen; Sting and Glamdring for instance; 
    "being the work of Elvish smiths in the Elder Days these swords shone with a cold light, if any Orcs were near at hand. 

It would make a great system for some of these ancient recipes to be discovered.  It wouldn't mean you could mass produce them; the materials or processes could be difficult to find (metal from a fallen star), dangerous to work with or acquire (a dragons hearts blood to quench the blade) or restricted to specific forging locations (forge at the heart of the world)

I just don't want legendaries to be stat sticks with a purple name.  I want them to empower us with a purpose; open doorways to new stories; force a hard decision on whether to use them because of the repercussions.  Make legendaries characters in the story itself.

• @Pogybait
    It would be cool, if crafted weapons would "create" a questchain depending of the used ingredients for the weapon, armor or trinket.

For an example: You used the fangs of a great ice wyvern, leather of a megalodon and shards of the core of a mountainheart elemental (strongest elemental being inside of a mountain: see arcenstone etc) , and for each of the materials you would have to solo a incredibly hard quest to cleanse the ingredient.
    And then after you cleansed all ingredients, the smith "creates" the "legendary", only to find out that you only get the precursor and the smith learns that he needs one final ingredient to lift the epic precursor into legendary status.
    Maybe something from an extremely hard worldboss and you have to bring your whole guild and bring the beast down to collect its part. 

• Honestly... I wouldn't mind legendaries to be like the flying mount. Extremely rare, very amazing, but time limited. You can even make them exclusive/unique. Where you have one active on a server at a time. Have them with the bonus of unlimited durability during their spawn. Even have legendary crafting tools. I'm too lazy to really go into more detail but I think it'd be an interesting idea. Legendary pvp items, pve items, crafting and gathering items, armor, accessories, mount skins, building skins, etc. These items should be special and awe-inspiring.
  • Obtaining a legendary item will not be RNG based. It will entail obtaining construction components from various progression pathways.[3]

The amount of effort needed and interdependencies across the different types of players – between raiders and PvPers and crafters and even role players and the taverns and businesses: the processors and gatherers – all of those systems will likely have a component that lends toward creating or crafting that legendary item... We want to stay away from the highly RNGd system, and instead take our multiple progression paths that we are offering the players and put the construction components for achieving these legendary items within them so it encourages communities to work together because it's going to be difficult for just one person by themselves to gather everything. Not to say that they couldn't in an economic sense, by buying those components, that's possible. But achieving them from a time investment standpoint we want it to be considerably less RNG focussed.[3] – Steven Sharif

Legendary items are not intended to be temporary.[4]

The fact there is only one of them... or very very few of them depending on what it is. I think that in and of itself is a balance component right and you need to make sure that the players who are striving for those legendary things and who are devoting the time energy, resources in order to achieve them are accurately rewarded... We do not intend on having legendary items that are temporary.[4] – Steven Sharif

So as i said in the crafting thread Legendaries will be craftable and crafters will be the end gear creators. Gear will also decay and be repairable which is the same for Legendaries. Decay of a legendary will be faster if you go corrupted. However the full MMO has not been implemented or tested yet and things are subject to change.