Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Original idea????? Straight-up just copying the trend

I thought this game would have some uniqueness. why are they just taking stuff from other games...

Comments

• Is there some sort of wide spread reading disability happening?

This is like the 12th thread about this... The last one was literally the top thread when this one was posted.

You mist get tired of Ctrl+v the same reply @UnknownSystemError

• Nah, doesn't bother me at all. Not everyone has followed the game as closely as others and it is always internet nature to chicken little and pearl clutch at anything that smacks into their entitlement wall.
  • Karthos said:
    Is there some sort of wide spread reading disability happening?

This is like the 12th thread about this... The last one was literally the top thread when this one was posted.

I think the education system has stopped teaching people how to read. This would explain a few things.
  • Karthos said:

It's almost like people are unhappy or something. Like they don't want Apocalypse at all....
  • Then they don't have to play it. If you want to send a message to Intrepid, don't use the service. Every person that pays for a season pass reinforces their belief that they are in the right. Every person that makes an active decision to not give that program any scratch also helps. The problem is, more people will opt to pay than will be noticed as not paying and playing, so which do you think will win out in the end.
  • The people who truly want to test the game will test the game anyways.
    So, it's a win/win for the devs.
  • Besides the OP I like every post so far in this thread. I don't think that's ever happened. :smile:
  • I think this picture sums it up.
    Related image

• I'm just speechless.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    If we have to bring in the "Why dont they do something original?"-argument...
    EVERYONE STEALS FROM EVERYONE!

If we have to be specific: Every MMORPG has stolen the idea from D&D (get together and kill monsters to get loot and get stronger) and D&D got it from other games!

There is only so much "original" things that you can ACTUALLY implement in a game.

Shure there are some things, which sound extremely cool, but wouldnt really work in the long run. A good example is/was Ultima Online, they had a funktioning ecosystem.
    Grass grows, herbivores eat the grass, the predators eat the herbivores. 
    No one gave a fuck, and didnt even notice. (Herbivores didnt even give a good amount of exp, the players where just like a swarm of termites eating everything in their path)

We always want something original, but "original" and "interesting" doesnt allways work. 
    Nodes are original enough in my opinion.
  • Karthos said:

It's almost like people are unhappy or something. Like they don't want Apocalypse at all....
    And this makes them less intelligent?

That's a pretty rude thing to say about people if you ask me.
  • There's an old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's because the more you start prodding at a working thing, the more likely it is to fail because of nothing but you.

Ashes so far may be showing us a lot of familiar territory, but at the same time it's attempting to undertake at least two major 'new' ideas that I've not come across before.

Continuously changing nodes that are influenced by your own actions.

A working stock market.

To me that seems about right. Any more massive changes and the likelihood of a working game this side of 2030 seems tiny.

Once the foundation is in place, once that works, then sure, try something else in the mix...

But to quote the bible...

“The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”

And even if you get that one, outstanding original idea.... there's still no guarantee it will work.
    edited December 2018

"All writers of fantasy books should quit - There are no more innovative novels to look forward to, the Odyssey is the only work of fantasy the world requires."

It's not what a writer writes it's how well they compose it, makes you emotionally invested, makes you actually care about people and events. It's not about making anything new it's about making it seem new. It's about putting the old elements together in such a fashion as to make the reader want to spend their time in that world.

GRR Martin didn't invent the epic fantasy series but trying to tell his readers that there is nothing innovative because you can nitpick every detail in his books and find a similar scene in another book is just going to make the argument seem small and petty.

The IS team is going to take elements from past games and assemble them into a coherent experience that they hope will engage the emotions of a large player base. A game that the players will willingly spend time and effort immersing themselves into all it has to offer.

I am hoping they do even better than my old, pessimistic self believes they can.
  • Try searching for original MMO ideas online. 95% of ideas are nonsense.  Of the concepts that are interesting, they are almost always limited by technology.  If intrepid are going to do anything original it would be very simple as they don't have the game designers and programmers to prototype and test many original mechanics. 

As for lore and story, they don't appear to be heavily involved in creating an original secondary world that can hook the player long term. 
  • ...are we being trolled?
  • Nefelia said:
    ...are we being trolled?
    I was wondering this as well, considering the level of stupidity the OP has shown by making this post. I doubt it is even possible to make something COMPLETELY original, that does not take ideas from some area. In today's world, to be "original", is attained by not directly ripping someone's product and calling it your own with a different skin.
    edited December 2018
    Nah, doesn't bother me at all. Not everyone has followed the game as closely as others and it is always internet nature to chicken little and pearl clutch at anything that smacks into their entitlement wall.
    My how you've grown.  

[ a little tongue in cheek, a little serious, all good fun ]
  • Nefelia said:
    ...are we being trolled?
    I was wondering this as well, considering the level of stupidity the OP has shown by making this post. I doubt it is even possible to make something COMPLETELY original, that does not take ideas from some area. In today's world, to be "original", is attained by not directly ripping someone's product and calling it your own with a different skin.
    Well... I was honestly thinking that the novelty of the node mechanics would be enough to sate anyone's appetite for originality and innovation.

Regardless, if this was a troll, it certainly was an effective one. :D