Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

why do we have a forum

So I know this may seem very petty and pointless to some of you, but I wanted to ask the devs/mods where is the suport for the forum. Since ashes started all of the updates and leaks are on the discord, and we rarely see anything posted on the forums unless a member posts them (thanks USE) or a mod in rare cases.  All of the alpha time updates are displayed on the discord and never the forums, I don't mind having it on discord but just mirror it on here as well.

The main reason for this post is what is the point of questions threads if you never answer them and I don't just mean skipping a few but today you skipped the whole thread that your mod made.  I know that discord is faster to update but why pay for a tool when you never use it?

Comments

• I would tend to agree w/ @nagash. My experience on the Discord channels has been trying to siphon information while everyone rips on each other or tries to be the edgiest edgelord in the realm. Sure, not all of them are like that, but there is enough to avoid the discord channel all together.

This is another reason why I wish some of my KS funding went straight to @UnknownSystemError.

• Yeah honestly while Discord is better for a "hands on" approach to stay in touch with the community, the forums are here for a reason and are much easier to organize, I mean if a person makes a thread about a load of bugs they discover it's easier to see then multiple people spamming discord.

Honestly aside from the occasional moderator post or the very rare Steven post the place is basically ran by the members (USE).

Hopefully this will change when they launch the new website/forums.
  • Steven did say they will take questions from the forums next time.
    We need to remind him!
  • Dygz said:
    Steven did say they will take questions from the forums next time.
    We need to remind him!
    sure just make sure to post it on the discord :wink:
  • nagash said:
    Dygz said:
    Steven did say they will take questions from the forums next time.
    We need to remind him!
    sure just make sure to post it on the discord :wink:
    Sad but true xD
  • I was one of the lucky few who posted a question on the forums and had it looked at during stream. Think it was the September stream.

...Too bad i asked a lore question and it was never answered. :/
  • It has always been an afterthought. Which is a shame. A majority of new players looking for information, once finding the main website lacking, end up here. Many of those don't find it and never hear about the Discord where the true information dissemination occurs. I would avoid it for the toxic cesspool of memes and edgelord breeding that it is, but it has become essential to keep up on what is in the game.  The latest twist is instead of typing out answers in channel, Steven has been going into voice chat and dropping info bombs and clarifications there. Which then leads to people quoting bad information if they just didn't happen to be on that very second listening or if someone wasn't taping if for later transcription. (Thanks to those that do.) I understand the wanting to walk the middle of the road approach to try and keep as large a pool of customers happy, but refusing to answer basic mechanics questions this far down the line and this close to supposed launch next year, just shows bad faith, and will ultimately bite them in the ass when people who think they are getting one thing find out that the plan all along was another thing.
  • this seems to be a trend with most games I follow.
  • All we can hope is that there will be some changes when the new AOC site goes live. 

I think that with Discord having the functionality it does forums like this are becoming less relevant. When my guild started using Discord it pretty much killed our guild site and we shut it down 2 years ago. 
  • Most games use a 3rd party website other than their main forums. It's so stupid. it's either redditt, discord or something else, but not their forums. It's a joke. Steven should go in and type in an answer to all the questions for the stream. What's stopping him? There's no time limit of him sitting down and answering those questions in there. I've only seen him once on the forums and dozens of times in discord. Why bother creating a new website when the creators of the game don't even use it haha.
  • With the CM's arrival what I'm hoping happens is something like this.

CM opens questions thread 4 days before livestream.
    CM closes questions thread 1 day before livestream

CM deletes all the bad questions, repetitive questions, in appropriate questions and questions that have been answered 539,394 times.

When someone sees their question has been deleted, it will be reinforcement to not ask bad, inappropriate, or previously answered questions.   
  • nagash said:
    So I know this may seem very petty and pointless to some of you, but I wanted to ask the devs/mods where is the suport for the forum. Since ashes started all of the updates and leaks are on the discord, and we rarely see anything posted on the forums unless a member posts them (thanks USE) or a mod in rare cases.  All of the alpha time updates are displayed on the discord and never the forums, I don't mind having it on discord but just mirror it on here as well.

The main reason for this post is what is the point of questions threads if you never answer them and I don't just mean skipping a few but today you skipped the whole thread that your mod made.  I know that discord is faster to update but why pay for a tool when you never use it?

I don't like being forced to use a 3rd party program to take part of a game. If you can't participate and promote your own product without forcing us to use 3rd party then I dread how the game will end up.  Its like those asian games that have that anti cheat engine software that has to be installed, nooooo thank you.
  • Jahlon said:
    With the CM's arrival what I'm hoping happens is something like this.

CM deletes all the bad questions, repetitive questions, in appropriate questions and questions that have been answered 539,394 times.

When someone sees their question has been deleted, it will be reinforcement to not ask bad, inappropriate, or previously answered questions.   
    That "may" fix one problem but the rest are still there
  • Jahlon said:
    With the CM's arrival what I'm hoping happens is something like this.

That was another thing that upset me, they announced the live stream last week. They didn't create a post to ask questions until the day before, leaving little time for anyone to get questions in. Poor foresight on the moderators on that end. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Yeah this is the sad truth. The devs rarely use the forum, it's all about Discord these days. Forums are much more organized and easier to have long discussions on. Discord is for fast chatting. 

Also a new forum solution is desperately needed. Vanilla is awful. 
    Get IPB or Xenforo (the one I use on my AoC website). Or if you really need to go for a free solution, at least use the best one: phpBB.   
  • All @Pooka sees when he's on the forums is a cesspool of complaints and dumbass ideas.  @Pooka wishes there was more "meat and potatoes" type of information on the forums that are official posts by the Devs.  Like stated previously in this thread, when people look into a game they go to the forums and website to get the basic idea for the game which acts as a hook to get them to go deeper.  These forums/website does not do that.

Hopefully the future CM will make things better.
  • I only have eyes for Pooka!
  • I find AOC DISCORD filled with junk. Things that should not be there. Luckily,I don't....at this time have questions I want answers to NOW. That time will come and I don't know here my "go to" place will be. Perhaps players in the upcoming testing.
  • It does not make any sense why this resource is not used at all. Steven often talks of wanting to make a game from a gamer perspective. To achieve that he needs to include the way the community is dealt with. So far it feels no different to other games. 
    Steven should go in and type in an answer to all the questions for the stream. What's stopping him? There's no time limit of him sitting down and answering those questions in there. 
    This ^^ 
  • Since @nagash AND @UnknownSystemError (which are both arguably the most knowledgable and active AoC members from what I have seen) are both concerned about this issue, you think @GMSteven would grace us with his presence and give us some reassurance about what they might do about this now or in the future.
  • Since @nagash AND @UnknownSystemError (which are both arguably the most knowledgable and active AoC members from what I have seen) are both concerned about this issue, you think @GMSteven would grace us with his presence and give us some reassurance about what they might do about this now or in the future.
    Well they have a good chance to fix everything with the new website/forums and the addition of a new CM, if even then the forums will be as dead as this then Intrepid will have officially fucked up even more than they have so far in regards to forum management.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Well they have a good chance to fix everything with the new website/forums and the addition of a new CM, if even then the forums will be as dead as this then Intrepid will have officially fucked up even more than they have so far in regards to forum management.
    New CM, Website and Forums for NA region only? Europe expected to start using My.com for community? I would like to see more clarity on this for sure.
  • Neomir said:
    New CM, Website and Forums for NA region only? Europe expected to start using My.com for community? I would like to see more clarity on this for sure.
    They never said that we will have to use my.com for the community as far as I am aware.
  • Looks like forums will be split, but the my.com mod invasion of Discord began yesterday. There is a slew of new purples with EU country tags now.
  • Looks like forums will be split, but the my.com mod invasion of Discord began yesterday. There is a slew of new purples with EU country tags now.
    Oh great, just great 'w'
  • So if the intention is to split the community a lot will depend on my.com because if Intrepid are not very active in their own forums I can not see there would be any improvement in the European publisher forums.

I will keep positive though as it could be that my.com are a lot more interactive on their forums. Making more of an effort because they have a great deal to prove to the European community before they are trusted. 
  • the pain never ends
  • It always boggles my mind that game companies don't use their Official Forums for most of their flow of information to their player base.  This is first place many people look.  3rd party programs should just supplement what is in the forums.  I can see Discord being primary during a test period because you need quick interaction.  I hope with the forum improvements comes more Dev participation. 
  • I just wish the devs or mods would see how the comunity feels about this and fix it.
  • 1 post from Intrepid a day would be nice, maybe the server times or something...