Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Disappointed

I haven't really been following the development this year and just came back to take another look.
I dont think i have even been so disappointed. The game got more microstansaction, pre-order bullshit and cash shop items than some F2P games.... and the game is still in alpha, so it's only gonna get worse.
It feels like they are trying to squeeze every last cent out of the whales before the game even releases.
I really expected more from Intrepid when i joined the kickstarter. But i gues i was wrong. They are just like any other AAA publisher  these days :(

Comments

• ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    we can only have hope that they will stay true. They had more to show on that mmo stream but didn't because they are not 100% done and clearly don't want to show that (fishing example). It takes time let's just take our hype train a bit down because there is a long way left before the release. More hype only makes it worse when things are not done yet and we have no other way to feel than deception.
    All of that monetization is curious but that F2P has to have some kind of it. Think of it as an extra to the franchise that is AoC.
    I just want them to stop talking so much about the BR.
  • Its up to you... you can always pass and wait for Apocalypse testing or release day.

If you want to support them then why not.

Its not like you need to buy cosmetics just to play the game...

I hope you are joking. :D They are doing great... so much new stuffs going on... we already can see world map not just BR and a lot more. :):D 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Shaylan said:

It feels like they are trying to squeeze every last cent out of the whales before the game even releases.
    Have you ever heard of the term "Buyers be aware". Well thats what KS was. As I have said in countless other threads, no one is holding a gun at your head to buy anything.

httpwwwopinionatedbastardcawp-contentuploads201504whynotjpg

• Have you ever heard of the term "Buyers be aware". Well thats what KS was. As I have said in countless other threads, no one is holding a gun at your head to buy anything.
    It's not about being forced to buy anything. It's about not getting a chance to earn it ingame. Eveything they are selling sepperatly could (and should imo) have been a cool reward for a quest or achievement. So it lessens the game of favor of earning an extra buck.

And don't even start with the excuse "it's just cosmetic" because it's a huge part of the game for a lot of players

• Lol how can you earn atm in game cosmetics ? :D U cant... its only Alpha im pretty sure when game will be released for us there will be plenty cosmetic stuffs that we can earn if we do quests, achievements etc.

So there is no point talking about current AoC Alpha game and earning cosmetics in game... Mby if you win BR then mby  - thats a good idea ... why not... 
  • Shaylan said:
    Have you ever heard of the term "Buyers be aware". Well thats what KS was. As I have said in countless other threads, no one is holding a gun at your head to buy anything.
    It's not about being forced to buy anything. It's about not getting a chance to earn it ingame. Eveything they are selling sepperatly could (and should imo) have been a cool reward for a quest or achievement. So it lessens the game of favor of earning an extra buck.

And don't even start with the excuse "it's just cosmetic" because it's a huge part of the game for a lot of players

....gosh its almost as if MMORPGs take millions of dollars to make and maintain

WoW and FFXIV charge a box fee (that offsets development of expansions) and a monthly sub.

Ashes will only have the monthly sub.

All of the cosmetics are optional, and Steven has already said on numerous occasions, that there will be ample and on par cosmetics earn-able in game. 
  • Waiting for @UnknownSystemError to post that interview link again. OP lost any credibility in his statement in his first sentence when he said he hadn't been following too closely. I don't even remember the amount of recent posts saying the same thing over and over. And they all share in common the fact that they don't follow the game closely. The rest of us are pretty pleased with IS right now. I normally don't hate on people asking questions but this is getting a bit ridiculous now. Seriously people, do some research before posting things like this. I don't know who mentioned a mass reading impairment in one of the other posts but i'm starting to believe it right now...
  • I think everyone should tag @UnknownSystemError every time one of these posts pop up so we can create a game out of this to see how many times he gets tagged before posting :smiley:
  • I think everyone should tag @UnknownSystemError every time one of these posts pop up so we can create a game out of this to see how many times he gets tagged before posting :smiley:
    Do it too much and he might stop posting period.
  • No one's going to respect you if you keep giving it up that easy
  • I backed kickstarter and fully expected them to monetize cosmetics, Steven said we will be able to earn cosmetics in-game aswell that will have quality equal to store ones. I think this topic has already been beaten to death (like any other controversial topic).
  • I wonder what will annoy people next month ?
  • nagash said:
    I wonder what will annoy people next month ?
    If its a full moon next month all the crazy people will flood the forums. 
  • nagash said:
    I wonder what will annoy people next month ?
    Who knows ? it seems that people love to nitpick small details 'w'
  • Shaylan said:
    I really expected more from Intrepid when i joined the kickstarter. But i gues i was wrong. They are just like any other AAA publisher  these days :(

I could understand and agree with this criticism if Intrepid Studios was rewarding Alpha testers with exclusive 'pay-to-win' items.

I could even understand (but not really agree) with this criticism if Intrepid Studios was rewarding Alpha testers with exclusive convenience items.

Such strong criticism over cosmetic items, however, leaves me rather baffled. Whether they be attained through quests, achievements, special events, or the cash shop, there are bound to be thousands of cosmetic items available to players post-launch. Collecting them all is impossible, and missing out on a few exclusives this early in the development cycle should not be cause for concern.

If exclusive cosmetics entices more people to spend more time testing the game: great! The better to get valuable data and forward the progression of the game's development.

Similarly, if sales of cosmetics helps to fill Intrepid Studio's coffers during the long testing phase: great! A well funded developer is much better than a poorly funded one.

I have nothing but respect for those who help finance AoC via purchases of cosmetics. <3