Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Action / Tab Target

Was there any mention of whether this combat system suggests there will be no pointing and clicking? Just curious how people will be able to utilize 5-6 action bars without the ability to point and click on certain abilities.

Comments

• They have said multiple times that you aren't going to have a plethora of bars. Non-cluttered UI has been thrown around a lot. And while you will have multiple options for abilities, you won't be able to skill into all of them, so you won't need to have stuff that is rarely/never used in your UI.
  • Ok. Do you think they intend to at least put some effort into creating some class complexity, or is it possible it's going to be as boring and unintuitive as FFXIV combat?

serious question....not trolling for drama
  • I think that if they do what they have said and how I understand it from those statements, then yes, it will indeed be complex and have depth. You will need to decide before each session on whether you need to change your loadout for that particular activity or session. You will over time know which skills work for which situations best and which augments get you the flavor and flair you are looking for to make your playstyle just that tiny bit different than everyone elses. Or yeah, they could fuck it up. We won't know till we see it, because they keep just saying that every iteration is placeholder and will be changed, or they just mask it when streamed so as to not get a spanking like the whole QTE debacle turned into.
  • Only time will tell.  Next spring (roughly) will give us a lot more to go on when the actual MMO starts being tested by Alpha 1 users.  You would only get talk from actual Intrepid employees right now on your question and of course they would say it is going to be great....which i hope it will be but until we get some testing on it we just have to trust in Intrepid.

Since you are on the forums i would imagine you have already put your trust in Intrepid so i would just suggest keeping that up until you feel you have been proven otherwise.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Ok thank you. Did you ever try that Shroud of the Avatar game? I gave it a quick demo since Richard Garriot didnt let me down with UO. The combat system in that game is similar. you have one action bar and you can only load it out with a specific number of abilities. Theres an npc in town that allows you to change it, but once youre out in the wilderness, thats what you have. Maybe thats a system that was in place before SotA, I dunno. While Im sure it could be tweaked to work a bit more effectively, the fact that we will still be limited to one bar just feels like everyone will have the same meta bar.

I know everyone hates WoW, but their combat is top notch. Either you can utilize multiple bars and be a badass, or you're a scrub who uses like 5 skills on one bar and you'll never get past LFR because your output is shit.

I like having access to all of the utility abilities on multiple bars. Proper usage of every imaginable resource is what sets people apart. It separates the Men and Women from the boys and girls. Ultimately, i'm resigned to the fact that i have to wait and see. I just really hope they allow for people who don't suck to utilize all options available, and the people who cant handle complexity, well they can hang out in the graveyard outside town and just slay skeletons for their entire existence.
  • My thoughts - i love action combat system... but they said that combat system will be mixed so we will see only on beta i guess what to expect... i just hope this will not be 100% tab-booring-targeting combat system. New era - let it go.
  • You will find that there are other ways to add complexity to combat besides just multiple hotbars.

Ashes has at least two new mechanics, including augments and weapon combos.
  • My thoughts - i love action combat system... but they said that combat system will be mixed so we will see only on beta i guess what to expect... i just hope this will not be 100% tab-booring-targeting combat system. New era - let it go.
    They have said that you probably won't be able to have 100% of either system, but at least 25% of one at minimum.