Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Sea Travel and Piracy in Ashes

We've all seen the skins for boats, and Steven has already confirmed that some boats will need multiple people to fully function (A person to drive and a person to shoot cannons for example). I think it would be cool for sea travel to be viable, but I'm a bit concerned. I've only seen pirate games, and then Big MMOs that are pretty much just one big land mass! 

I'm curious if anyone has more info or ideas on this. I don't think Ashes would look good as a bunch of islands, but if we have two large landmasses, we'll obviously develop the nodes on the one we all spawn on. If you are to say there are multiple portals, then what if I go to the wrong one and I have to wait till we develop sea fair to join my friends. 

I've never personally seen a game try to do something like this before, what do you guys think?

Comments

• Eh I am pretty sure you will be able to choose the node you spawn in and it wont be random, and if you choose the wrong one then well just re-roll ? honestly I doubt they would strand players on an island for who knows how long until you get resources to build appropriate facilities and rescue each other c:
  • You get to choose from one of 5 starting areas. Those are slightly developed with initial quests and tutorials to get you started. From there on out you have to travel to the area you want to concentrate on. There is no pick a specific node to start in mechanic. Just those 5 static camps. They want player choices to have consequence. You not coordinating with you friends over something as basic as "Hey, which starting camp are we going to?" would be a perfect example of this having unintended consequences. Those that need to be hand-held and other sock puppet actions by the game will have a hard time of it I think.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    Steven needs to make the tutorial like this :smiley:

Image result for dark souls git gud
  • You get to choose from one of 5 starting areas. Those are slightly developed with initial quests and tutorials to get you started. From there on out you have to travel to the area you want to concentrate on. There is no pick a specific node to start in mechanic. Just those 5 static camps. They want player choices to have consequence. You not coordinating with you friends over something as basic as "Hey, which starting camp are we going to?" would be a perfect example of this having unintended consequences. Those that need to be hand-held and other sock puppet actions by the game will have a hard time of it I think.
    Alright, putting that problem aside. Do you have any thoughts or theories on how important or relevant sea travel or piracy would be? 

• WoolsChan said:

I've never personally seen a game try to do something like this before, what do you guys think?
    I am assuming you have not played Archeage then? 

They got the majority of the sea faring mechanics right. It was only the rest of the game, the P2W elements that let it down. Steven played Archeage and has commented before about how he enjoyed it. So based on that we can be hopeful for a decent naval game mechanic. 
  • Well I plan to play a tulnar bard pirate so I would hope that we will be able to do that ;D
  • Damokles said:
    Well I plan to play a tulnar bard pirate so I would hope that we will be able to do that ;D
    The musician dies first :smile:

• @whitedude31
    BARDS NEVER DIE!

• Damokles said:
    @whitedude31
    BARDS NEVER DIE!

Sorry, forgot they run away too quickly to die . . . or be of any use :P
  • Bard pirate?
    I hope you can get a parrot that harmonises, or kills people whilst muttering "pieces of eight THAT muthafka...!"
  • As a pirate bard I would just hit up my sea shantie playlist and sing along to it all day.
  • @Desseus @Megs
    I only need a jar of dirt my friends.