Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Everyone gets a Combat Pet?!

Hey friends,

So I was talking about this topic on Discord a few days ago and it was brought to my attention that every player is going to be able to use a combat pet, regardless of class. I'd like to express my opinions about this feature, and see what others think about it too.

First and foremost, I feel like this would ruin the class fantasy of any classes that typically wouldn't have a combat pet in most other MMOs, e.g a High Priest having a pet wolf would be very weird. Not only that, but it would definitely take away from the uniqueness of the summoner class which inherently is all about their minions. And lets think about what this would mean for busy locations/massive battles. The extra lag and clutter from all these pets would surely be impactful; imagine the 1000+ player castle sieges with 1000+ pets included. Then there would be the combat aspect, if tab targeting is going to be a big part of this game then I imagine it would get frustrating having to tab through enemy pets to find your desired target. And good luck finding your enemies through the clutter.

Personally I feel like this design choice is a poor one, and if it is indeed implemented for launch it will be one of my biggest pet peeves (excuse the pun) about the game. I think that combat pets/minions should be reserved for the summoner class/subclass only, with only non-combat companion pets being available to all players. Let me know what you guys think, I might just be an outlier with this opinion.

Comments

• Options
    Sadly, you knew this one was coming.

Selling pet skins in the cosmetic shop was an indicator everyone was going to have them.

If you aren't going to divulge information about the game, but you start selling stuff for the game, its a reasonable expectation that everyone CAN use everything you are selling.

Everyone CAN have a boat, so you can sell boat skins.  Doesn't mean they *will* have a boat, just that they *can* have a boat.

Everyone CAN have a freehold
    Everyone CAN have a mount
    Everyone CAN wear cosmetics
    Everyone CAN have a caravan

Wait hold up, not everyone can have a pet.  And since you can't change your main class thanks for buying something your main won't use.

Yeah that wouldn't have flown.   

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited December 2018
    You think the devs that were around for SWG and worked on it would remember the shitshow debacle that probe droids became. Creature handler was a class that was needed for combat pets, but everyone was also able to have a combat droid pet without needing to be skilled up in Droid Engineer. So very soon, every single person had a combat probe droid to supplement dps. Now, we have yet to see what the effect of taming in the artisan tree will have, but if you need to have a certain level of proficiency to use combat pets, that will again cause everyone to forgo the traditional crafting and we will just see waves of tamers. Or they more likely will go the other way and you will be able to buy tamed and leveled pets from others. Either way, if players know that by not having a pet they are losing dps or functionality, expect your charge on that castle to be 50 players with 50 of whatever the current "best meta" pet is.
  • Options
    You think the devs that were around for SWG and worked on it would remember the shitshow debacle that probe droids became. Creature handler was a class that was needed for combat pets, but everyone was also able to have a combat droid pet without needing to be skilled up in Droid Engineer. So very soon, every single person had a combat probe droid to supplement dps. Now, we have yet to see what the effect of taming in the artisan tree will have, but if you need to have a certain level of proficiency to use combat pets, that will again cause everyone to forgo the traditional crafting and we will just see waves of tamers. Or they more likely will go the other way and you will be able to buy tamed and leveled pets from others. Either way, if players know that by not having a pet they are losing dps or functionality, expect your charge on that castle to be 50 players with 50 of whatever the current "best meta" pet is.
    It will be a penguin, it has to be.
  • Options
    it just means more minions for summoners
  • Options
    And technically everyone can have a combat pet.  If everyone chooses Summoner, then everyone has pets!  But if just one person chooses another class...
  • Options
    There will undoubtedly be a wide assortment of pet types. In a game I played everyone could use combat pets. It was built into it from the start. BUT!
    There were a beast using class. While everyone could use pets, this class had active, passive, supportive skills that turned a Combat pet into a Powerhouse Pet.

Taming, Training, Raising, Breeding. The tree that does these things may also have things unlocked to make, for example, a run of the mill wolf into an Alpha Wolf.