Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

MMOs and Minions

So im sure we are all familiar with the familiars. The skeleton warriors and spawns of hell. the spectres and the elementals. We all know which ones are for tanking and which ones are only good for two animations. moving and the one swing. Most MMOs treat minions as either cannon fodder or literal mindless mobs that barely do as they are told. very very few have good, viable minions in their games. They usually have those 3 parameters for their behavior. Aggressive aka attack anything in a 5 step radius. Defensive, attack when you take damage and for those that it applies to healing. uses the Heal skill once every 30 seconds and does nothing else. But mabinogi has something that i haven't seen any other game do. with their pets you do have those three settings but you can also make your own. Attack Certain enemies in certain ways. Make Combo patterns. Heal skill When you are hurt at a certain point then attack after you are ok. Yeah you need a little coding but you can make your pets in it do things you want for the outdated game. I want that for my summons. If we get to do more than one summon then i want to be able to designate what they do. Tank focus on the one i tell it to. Range focus on lowest health. Heals heal faster and also other summons. Hulk, Smash. Like you actually would do.

Comments

• AmistAmist Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Interesting idea, but for me personally I would be a bit confused if we had 200+ players on a battlefield plus all their companions, haha. I think summoners and combat pets for me are already going to cluster everything up, but if it was something related to housing I would be intruiged
  • VolgaireVolgaire Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't know, maybe a few rare summons that have inteligence but overall I don't think a normal skeleton should be capable of thought :3
  • not thought. orders.
  • CeiventCeivent Member, Phoenix Initiative, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    i'm a fan lots of summons/raised minions. Last time i saw anything of the like was GW1 that said i think being able to order every minion to a degree is something thats pretty cool as well. Though depending on how many minions they have.... they could basically become a mini raid boss.... then @Nagash would lead a horde of mini raid bosses..... so maybe and maybe not =) would love to test this out though!
    nick10281 wrote: »
    not thought. orders.

Well sounds good but to comprehend more complicated orders some intelligence is required c:
  • All I want are minions that do more than attack the same thing I'm attacking because I attacked it.
    I guessed c: I'd say we will get something like that it makes a lot of sense :3
  • I know. And I loathe the idea that's all mmos will ever give to summoners. Sad to say but mobas like dota have better minion control than most games. Like its RTS even.
  • Sounds lazy tbh.
    Don't compare things like that, these games are point and click with a view from the top, imagine having to give orders to multiple minnions while dodging attacks, attacking and co-ordinating with team mates all while you can't enter some kind of birds eye view camera. Have to use items from time to time aswell c:
  • autumnleaf wrote: »
    Don't compare things like that, these games are point and click with a view from the top, imagine having to give orders to multiple minnions while dodging attacks, attacking and co-ordinating with team mates all while you can't enter some kind of birds eye view camera. Have to use items from time to time aswell c:

Easy enough.
  • AzryilAzryil Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I would like to see the interaction with minions be a little more complex than what's common in MMOs. I think minions should be broken up in to lesser and greater minions. Lesser minions being just simple temporary summons that run up and attack whatever their master is attacking. Greater minions would be more powerful permanent summons that could be commanded independently from the summoner. The added complexity being that I don't think greater minions should do anything beyond auto attack unless commanded by the summoner making the interaction with the minion being an integral part of the summoners combat rotation. Most games I've played just have some form of auto cast for summoned minions so for the most part you just summon and forget about them until they pull something they weren't suppose to....
    k2U15J3.png
  • I like that idea. Like cap at 2 or 3 greater minions and probably for the great coders out there to set up the minors to follow the majors. Maybe skill linking. But that would be going in too hard for the devs on just one class. I've died to many times from a unwanted attack/pull.
  • MorashtakMorashtak Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Tank/Summoners would be for this idea;

• Lesser summoned creatures could be simple commands such as "Stand here an attack what I am attacking", "Stand there and heal me", etc. They would deal little damage/heals and be easily damaged. They would be summoned to one small place and have a small area of effect/control (similar to WoW's shamans early totem mechanic).
    • Medium level summoned entities could be a bit more complex but require some micro-management; "Stand here and attack any enemies that enter" (off-tank), "Stand there and heal party members", etc. They would deal moderate damage/heals and would be able to take a moderate amount of damage. They would have limited movement and area of control/effect.
    • High level summons would require the most micro-management but have the biggest benefits; "Attack that creature and kite it to me" (alternately "Attack the creature attacking that party member and kite the enemy to me"), "Heal party members and if attacked kite enemy to me", etc. Creatures would deal the most amount of damage/heals and would be the most resistant to damage. They would have the longest duration, largest movement area, and largest area of control/effect.

owuEH4S.png