Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Altoholics

I would definitely consider myself an altoholic i love trying / playing all classes ,with each toon having its own back story and also build, will be interesting how this is handled.
I have found with a fair few new mmos that they have removed this options because of the 'open ended skill-sets' probably the most famous being FF14 with their train everything option.

Generally in MMOs i like to have a little bit of everything but on each toon, so i have a dedicated crafter, pvper and pve'r but also on crafting i like to have ability to craft all items myself, and given the likelihood that crafting is going to be core to the game, then being super-specialized will be unlikely across a variety of skill-sets.
Each of my alts have their own little backstory, a little bit of roleplay in their history (namely they are a family with history etc)

But going one step further what is the consideration regarding multiple accounts, there is a game im playing thats just come out that basically allows a single account per person thats it, this for me is a no-no, so whilst im playing it waiting for something to dive into big time.

It doesn't bother me paying for 2-3 accounts (having multiple monitors for just that reason) whilst multi-boxing can give cheaters the chance to bot, it opens the game to a lot of additional income. (heck at one point i had 9 eve accounts all running at once with no third party app helping with inputs i might add)

So what will be the plan, things like number of characters per account - heck even a cash shop purchase of additional characters is fine :) then if this is the case please please give an option in the 'quit' menu to go back to character selection and not require a full client restart :)
Also multiple or single clients only ?

Comments

• Options
    I've always thought that having more than one character sort of goes against the spirit of an MMO, as it affords a player greater self-sufficiency (especially when it comes to crafting). When you can switch toons to craft most everything yourself or to utilize other specific skills which no one toon could possess all of, then you don't need to ask/hire others for help beyond events that require player numbers. Player interaction goes down. There are fewer niche jobs, as everybody has a farmer/baker/tailor/whatever. It makes an online game a lot less interesting. I understand the appeal of wanting to try other classes and builds, I just think it ends up taking away from a core aspect of a multi-player game.

And, please, no multi-boxing. If that is allowed, I will be running for the hills faster than a kid with free reign of a candy store.
  • Options
    I dont mind alts as long as the achievements are charcter based and not player based.
    How could a different person have had the same experiences after all.
    Is the player playing the game through the eyes of a character and developing it...or is the player just playing the game and progressing themselves ?
    If they are progressing themselves and not the character, then they dont need alts.
  • Options
    [quote quote=1909]I’ve always thought that having more than one character sort of goes against the spirit of an MMO, as it affords a player greater self-sufficiency (especially when it comes to crafting). When you can switch toons to craft most everything yourself or to utilize other specific skills which no one toon could possess all of, then you don’t need to ask/hire others for help beyond events that require player numbers. Player interaction goes down. There are fewer niche jobs, as everybody has a farmer/baker/tailor/whatever. It makes an online game a lot less interesting. I understand the appeal of wanting to try other classes and builds, I just think it ends up taking away from a core aspect of a multi-player game.

And, please, no multi-boxing. If that is allowed, I will be running for the hills faster than a kid with free reign of a candy store.

[/quote]

Yeah, I agree with what you´re saying. I feel like having a character that´s a master trader, fisher, sculpture, and boatbuilder is weird and doesn't make sense at all. So, yes for several characters...but make so you can't have more than two professions in total. Why play a massive multiplayer game when you minimize the amount of time exposed to other people. I can understand that some arguments can be that you want to decided when you play with others but I think that sometimes the game have to put limits on how much solo you can go. You don't see anyone complaining about people not being able to solo high level raids.